Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John Stetch

Magpel

Happenstance, I saw the John Stetch trio while roaming around the Montreal Jazz festival this week. Day-um. You will like this if you like some hyper-arranged piano trio music (some of it reminded me of Bela Fleck or the Dixie Dregs with its compressed, very eventful arrangements and kind of ADHD disjunctions, and virtuosic playing across the board.) There's also a well integrated sense of European serious music, which I also like, ala Bill Evans and Debussy.

Yeah, hot, high-energy but pretty brainy sh*t.

Quick Googling tells me the cat is a known commodity. I was impressed and will use Rhapsody to hear some more tomorrow.

Anyone know/know of John Stetch?

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely - back in high school in Edmonton, I lucked out and was able to get a lesson from him as he was passing through the area (a band director knew him). Actually, I also played in a Ukrainian wedding band in high school/university (decent $ gig), and apparently he passed through that "chair" himself at a younger age (he's from edmonton). He actually made an album that centered on Ukrainian musical themes, if I'm not mistaken - pretty good stuff also. So, I've definitely checked out some of his music - very, very cool stuff. I actually hadn't listened to much of his stuff recently, and came across an album a few months ago that he made based on tv themes - so, a jazz version of the star trek theme, etc. I would definitely agree that there is, as you said, a hyper-intellectualism to the music but not so out there that it becomes hard to enjoy - but there are some concept type albums of his.

Anyway, I like his stuff - second your vote!

Cool!

Disappointed to report that Rhapsody has zero John Stetch in its catalog--which is rare, because modern jazz and Indie artists are usually so vigorous about getting their stuff available through all channels. I'll try some Youtube now...

Hey, here's a nice vid from a recent trio show in nearby Ithaca--this was the bass player I saw him with but different drummer.

It illustrates the almost through-composed nature of what he does, and the rapid rate of change, which I consider a kind of tempo--not bpm but the speed at which a composition moves through its changes and formal elements. He might even be called a little skittish.

Archived