Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone ever use the Studiologic SL-880? (cheap on C list)

scottasin

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I played one at a gig recently that had a key with a fixed velocity problem (wouldn't play soft). Some Googling revealed that that seems to be a common issue, I would make sure to check out each and every key. The feel of the board is good - the action is made by fatar afaik. Not as hefty as my P250, but for the price listed it would be a great deal, if it's fully functional. One minor thing that bugged me was the placement of the buttons in the center of the unit - you don't really need them there and can't place a small 2nd board on top without a 2nd tier.
"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

I stood mine up on it's end to lean it against a while while moving my stand. Something inside popped and the top octave would not play. I could not get it open to see what happened. When I bought a RD700SX I gave it away.
This post edited for speling.

Could have sworn this topic came up just a couple of weeks ago.

I can't keep track of the Fatar model numbers and which ones I've owned over the years, but certainly anything that pre-dates the current VMKplus series is much lower quality in terms of action and build.

OTOH, some of the older models have better MIDI implementations as they used to cover up to 16 zones, etc. So it depends on your needs.

The older models were prone to having key contact problems and other repair issues. The VMKplus series is similar to what Kurzweil uses in the PC3X, and Fatar has worked out a lot of their QC issues over the years.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

For $75, even if you only got a year's use out of it, it would have served its purpose, though I must admit to not being a great fan of Fatar actions as regards feel. A lot of the earlier ones were like playing dough.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I used this board for a while. It was a decent controller. Not a lot of midi capability. The action was not bad. I had one note that I hit too hard and it actually popped out of it's mounting.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I bought one in the mid 1990s, and gigged regularly on it for years, although I no longer use it. My experience was positive. It never gave me any problems, and I wasn't especially nice to it either. It was never cased. I'd just toss it anywhere. Usually on top of speaker cabs in transport. No broken keys, but I play with a light touch.

Length and weight made it possible to carry it around under one arm. It's pretty small and light for a weighted 88.

I used an SL-161 for years, It was the un-sturdiest (not a word...) thing ever built but had the greatest action/feel ever (for what I wanted). I used it as a second manual with my clonewheel for organ stuff and it had that great in-between organ action, not stiff like a piano but not super light either like some synths. It was very touchy though, I'd have to turn it on and off for minutes sometimes to get it to work... But MAN! What a great feeling keyboard.

That one had 2 midi outs and that was it, don't know if the 880 is the same.

Archived