Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammon M3?

J. Dan

I've never laid my hands on a real B3, just the fakes. But I always thought it'd be cool to have the real thing at home to mess around on.

There's an M3 on my local CL for $300. I thought I'd tap you Organ Afficionados on the value of an M3 as well as pros/cons compared to a B3. I've looked it up a bit and understand it does not do foldback like the B3, as well as some other differences. But I also came across some mods for it.

Just curious if you think it's something I should jump on as well as other opinions.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had one in high school before I got my B. It sounded great. Didn't have the ballz of a B3, no presets... I forget what else, but it sounded pretty sweet nonetheless. You won't be happy with it unless you run it through a Leslie though.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I've never laid my hands on a real B3, just the fakes. But I always thought it'd be cool to have the real thing at home to mess around on.

There's an M3 on my local CL for $300. I thought I'd tap you Organ Afficionados on the value of an M3 as well as pros/cons compared to a B3. I've looked it up a bit and understand it does not do foldback like the B3, as well as some other differences. But I also came across some mods for it.

Just curious if you think it's something I should jump on as well as other opinions.

Dan,

I have two M3's, they are nice pieces. If it is in good shape, pick it up if you have room. Check each draw bar alone on every note with perc off. I would put the market price at $300. How are you going to amplify it? Both of mine have Leslie kits. But you are EE, right? So it should not be a problem, but used Leslies are hard to find. Especially 6 pin (there is a balanced-unblanced issue that I don't know enough about to speak of).

If it fits into your life, buy it. Next best thing to a B3 or similar console I would say. Better than any clone. Blueskeys picked one up, maybe he will chime in.

Regards,

Joe

I just gave mine away. It's a sweet little organ, as close as you'll get to a B3, but the short keyboard was what killed it for me. I wouldn't buy one, mine was given to me, and I passed it along when I needed the floor space. Note, it took me several months to GIVE the thing away.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Some of the drawbars are a little scratchy. Also found a rotor assembly from a leslie (no case, amplifier, speaker) for $60. Thought it could be a fun project. I was wondering if $300 was a little on the high side, especially for an impulse buy.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

$300's a bit much, imho. And if you can live with diving-board keys the M-100 series are a lot of fun, my first Hammond was an M-100 and I found an M-102 a couple years ago by the road in the trash. But an M-3 is a great little spinet, and you should be able to find one for a good bit less.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I've got an m-111 hammond, and let me say, yes, its a fun organ for at home... however, I can't gather the funds to get a leslie for it, so it stays at the fun level for me. Does the M3 have the low drawbars all the way down? the m-100 series lower manual starts on the second drawbar... which takes away from being able to walk bass.

I've got an m-111 hammond, and let me say, yes, its a fun organ for at home... however, I can't gather the funds to get a leslie for it, so it stays at the fun level for me. Does the M3 have the low drawbars all the way down? the m-100 series lower manual starts on the second drawbar... which takes away from being able to walk bass.
M3 has the same problem
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I recently bought an M3 that has built in reverb with a separate speaker for it. I paid more than $300. The output from the amp went to the main speaker and from there to the reverb amp. It also has a connector for a tone cabinet. I split the amp output into two lines that I ran through L pads and then to the main speaker and reverb amp so I can control the volume of both. I ran the line to the tone cabinet connector through a DI box and mixer and then into my 3300 Leslie. It sounds sweet and worth every penny I paid.

I played a M3 for years, because that is all I could afford. But nothing compares to a real B/C and a Leslie!
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Somewhere online there is a link to a how-to page on how to add foldback to an M3. Tedious, but it can be done. Once you've done that, at least sonically you've got a B3/C3/A100.

Yes - I saw that, there's a page with a schematic and everything of how to add the foldback to the M3. I'm capable, although time challenged.

I think my ideal purchase would be a C3, but I haven't seen any locally. I appreciate all the feedback, you guys are great! I've been playing for thirty some odd years but I feel like a nube when it comes to this, even though when I was a kid, by brother used to gig out with a C3 and a Rhodes 73. I remember when it was a big deal when he got his first synthesizer - a Korg Polysix, brand new, which I still own.

Dan

Hmm, never noticed that, but I see that M3 has 8 tonebars. The bottom two (16' and 5 2/3') are missing, and there's an extra one at the top, labeled mixture-something (looks like two fractions, but I can't make it out in the pic I'm using).

What's that top tonebar? A combination of two harmonics, higher (shorter) than 1'?

Hmm, never noticed that, but I see that M3 has 8 tonebars. The bottom two (16' and 5 2/3') are missing, and there's an extra one at the top, labeled mixture-something (looks like two fractions, but I can't make it out in the pic I'm using).

What's that top tonebar? A combination of two harmonics, higher (shorter) than 1'?

The 8th drawbar combines the 10th and 12th harmonics.

Dan,

Here's an A that seems to be ready to gig just down the road. I have no personal knowledge of the rig, just saw it on Craigslist.

Also, I have an H-112 I'm about ready to part out if you want a project...

Ken

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/msg/1239167117.html

Thanks - a bit outside of my budget, though. I'm not looking for something perfect to gig with, more just something to tinker with at home to give myself exposure to a REAL tonewheel/drawbar organ.

Dan

Archived