Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Check it out! Steinberger Xm2

Catlin

How has everyone been!

I was at a local boutique guitar store the other day and noticed a Steinberger sitting around. I had owned a headless bass in the past(A bunker six) and really wanted to get another one. The compact size is very appealing to me.

I checked out the price tag and they were asking $1200, it appeared to be in great shape, only a few scratches on the back. I played it and was blown away by the sound of it, so clear, and I was able to get a wide variety of sounds.

Not having that kind of money I went home, and noticed my Music Man was not being used at all. I was never very comfortable on it so I decided I would try and do a trade for the Steinberger.

After pleading my case and playing it for hours I finally got the store owner to give in and trade.

I do not have any pictures of my bass yet, but here is something I pulled off of a website:

http://www.steinbergerworld.com/catalogs/1991JPN/91j-page15.jpg

It also has the De tuning mechanism on the bridge, but the sound is where it really struts its stuff.

Specs:

24 fret 4 string.

Graphite neck (bolt-on)

Phenolic board.

White-Maple body

All original EMG electronics

Controls are Bridge Volume/PU balance/Tone

Steinberger gigbag

Does anyone else own a similar model?

Happy Summer everyone!-Cat :thu:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the Synapse 5 string fretless, and a fretted Hohner B2A-V. Both are the canoe paddle type headless. I love'em. Easier to carry, and you are less likely to bonk somebody when you're on a cramped stage. Play it in good health.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Nice! Congrats on the new bass.

I've owned a Steinberger in the past (Spirit, but still...) and I'm Jonesing for another... I really like the look that XM2.I traded mine for my current Fender, and I won't be trading it out any time soon so I'll have to wait for a sudden influx of excess cash...

Enjoy it!

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Wow, how cool.

After I figured out the connection between headstock mass and sustain (it's not the only factor, but it's a strong connection) I realized that Steinbergers might be pretty sweet. I've only heard them played by Geddy; I think he got a good tone with it, but apparently it wasn't deep enough for him.

Interestingly there was a headless 4001 on eBay a while back that used the Steinberger system.

Anyways, sweet fish.

Steinbergers seem to do the job, and I travel a lot so it would be awesome to have one that I couls easily take as a carry on.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Steinies have never been my thing personally. But I am impressed at how consistently good they sound -- perfect for rock.

Yo dude, is that a weiner dog in your sig photo?

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Steinies have never been my thing personally. But I am impressed at how consistently good they sound -- perfect for rock.

Yo dude, is that a weiner dog in your sig photo?

That is indeed a wiener dog, her name is cricket, to be honest she looks a lot different that that picture lets on. She is much smaller, and less "bulgy?" looking.

That is indeed a wiener dog, her name is cricket, to be honest she looks a lot different that that picture lets on. She is much smaller, and less "bulgy?" looking.

We got one last fall -- see my sig photo. A black and tan named Willy -- he's a pickle.

I know what you mean about the "bulgy" look -- they tend to look that way when they're sitting.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Does anyone else own a similar model?

Well, not exactly a similar model, since mine is not a Steiny... I own a Kramer Duke, headless with aluminum neck, pretty much like this one:

http://www.gruhn.com/photo/BM2619.jpg

So ok, I wouldn't compare them side by side, and its sound is quite peculiar. It tends to sound more like a 4-string Stingray rather than a steiny. I like it a lot, and is quite comfy and easy to carry around (think travelling to a gig by an airplane and having it on the cupboard without hassle). Quite hot output too.

I always wanted to try one of those "Hybrid" (graphite neck, wood body) Steinies. Still hadn't the chance, tho. Play it in good health!

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

I've got a early to mid 80's vintage XL-2 with the Active EMG's. I've been really happy with it. When I first started playing it, it seemed like it hung a little more to one side, but man, the balance was great - very comfortable live. And I've always liked the sound. You can blend the pickups to cover pretty much anything you like. I picked up mine for about $1100 as I recall about 5 or 6 years ago.

Incidentally, if anybody has interest, their web site has a lot of good information on it including the history, details of each of the various models and differences, and even a serial number database.

http://www.steinbergerworld.com/

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Mine was a doubleneck, bass over guitar, but the bass half was set up just like the XM2, minus the detuner. I loved playing it, and it always got a great response from the crowd. Great looks, great tone, and it played great. I really like the EMG bass humbuckers.

The doubleneck concept kind of nixed the portability advantage and good balance of a single, though.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Archived