Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Breath Controllers?

bloodyMary

Does anyone use breath controllers here? I've stumbled across this device on-line, seems like a cool device, but I hardly ever saw anyone using it.

As far as I understand, it's compatible with any synth featuring expression pedal input, am I wrong?

Could I, for example, connect this device to my Korg Karma, and assign it to control amplitude level (no breath = no sound), thus creating 'breathing' effect on wind and reed instruments (flutes, horns, accordion)?

I bet synth leads could benefint from such a device, too.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out David Sancious' solo on the Clapton DVD "ONE MORE CAR" (I think it's on "Reptile"). Nobody does it better than David.

I've had a couple breath controllers, and to be honest, I never successfully got them to work: My A90 never seemed to be compatible. But in theory, the answer is yes.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I've used them for years, all Yamaha. Started with the "silver pacifier" BC1 that came with the little CS01, went to the BC3 (now BC3a) when it came out. Since I don't play Boehm fingering, never went the WX route as some like Mark S. on this board were able.

From CS01, used BC on K2500 and K2600 as Kurzweil included BC input on both these models. But even the most mundane flute patch on the Kurzweil really comes alive under BC, if you make the appropriate programming adjustments to both timbre and amplitude.

I'm now using BC on the modeling-based Yamaha VL70m module (with Patchman upgrade chip) I got from Mark. A brilliant sax player I work with heard the tenor sax I was goofing with during rehearsal last month and said, "Man, that's the closest I've ever heard".

Getting solo instruments in the neighborhood takes some listening and shedding, and I found talking to sax, trumpet and flute players about basic articulation technique (that I would never know, not having taken up those instruments in school or anything) is immeasurably helpful. I use a harmonica on Stevie's "As" that never fails to turn heads, and trying to channel Miles with a muted trumpet seems to be a consistent crowd pleaser as well.

You can't use them on a regular expression pedal input. If your keyboard doesn't have one, you'll need something like this -

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodbth.htm

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Here's David Sancious using a BC with a VL plug-in (breath controlled VL patch starts at 3.08) ...

Everybody has their preference. I tend to favor syncoustics (instruments that don't really exist but model acoustic relationships) over emulations or synth leads .... although the Yamaha VL wind instrument models are decent.

People ask if you can use BC's with regular synthesis. I've used the BC with my Nord Modular and enjoyed the results, even simply mapping to volume and brightness (LPF cutoff). Scaling a non-linear response is usually helpful though, just as it can be with velocity in a rompler.

Jerry

Hey Mike, Do you have a copy of the song you did for KC 1 anywhere on the web? It's a beautiful example of BC.

Wow, thanks Tusker. Yeah I still use a BC for most melody lines. I'll confirm that I have that song on my site and post a link here.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I was really into breath control back when the DX-7 came out. I used to actually get a fairly convincing sax sound out of it, at least for those days. Although I listened to an old band demo of me playing the lead to Shaker Song back in the late 80's and while you can tell it isn't a real sax, it still worked pretty darn well. I still have my CS-01 and a couple of BC-2's that I will get out every now and then for fun. I also have a BC-3 and BC-3a that I have used with an Anatek Wind Machine (similar to the MIDI Solutions Breath Controller interface). That box, like the old Anatek will convert the breath input to a number of MIDI CC numbers so it can be interfaced with many different keyboards. The trick is to make sure that you can route a source of modulation to both the filter and amplitude on the synth you are controlling. You can certainly just use the breath controller to control volume but by assigning it to the filter cutoff frequency as well, you gain a lot more dynamic control.

My current favorite as far as breath controlled instruments though is my Hammond 44 Electric Melodion. ;)

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Hey Mike, Do you have a copy of the song you did for KC 1 anywhere on the web? It's a beautiful example of BC.

Here it is Tusker: Identity Crisis

-Mike Martin

Casio

Hope I didn't catch this thread too late before people placed orders.

A forum search may find the older postings on this topic, if you're lucky.

I wrote a few months back about the innovative new ocarina-style wooden breath controller from Virtual Instruments magazine/forum.

Ned announced it a while back, and pictures are available. It is a huge step up from the BC3a in terms of ergonomics and build, as well as connectivity (no BC input jack required!).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I wrote a few months back about the innovative new ocarina-style wooden breath controller from Virtual Instruments magazine/forum.

Do you have any photos or specs Mark? I tried googling with no success. I'd love to see a breath controller that also responds to bite pressure.

Mike, that tune is as sweet as I remember. :thu:

Thanks,

Jerry

The topic in this forum may be hard to find by now, but probably provides no information beyond what is listed on the Virtual Instruments forum.

The forum is called "VI Control". The magazine has ceased publication, but it's the forum associated with the magazine of that name.

As it turns out, I had it bookmarked at work after all:

http://vi-control.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=32

And here's the specific topic that discusses and shows the breath controller that Ned has designed:

http://vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12253&highlight=breath+control

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Sounds interesting, Mark! I recall seeing Nick Batzdorf posting on the daw-mac forum, which I have not visited in years (their tastes are too expensive for me). I wish the Breath Box people the best of luck - that thread's last post was in April, which is quite a while now.

I understand Yamaha's BC series breath controllers put out +-10V? I wonder how hard it would be to mod them to +- 5V so I could use one with my Voyager?

I use a BC2, mostly to control analog-style sounds or atonal sounds. I used to use it for winds/brass too, but it's a while I'm not called to cover those (thanks God). I have a Yamaha VL1m which spits out BC data from its MIDI out while you're blowing in the BC2. Works great, although I wish it had more resolution.

Oh yeah it's Nick Batzdorf, not Ned... oops!

You know, I think I saw a post about adapting the BC3a to the Voyager over on their user forum. Give it a look.

marino, I think the tune is brilliant!

And the reed sound sounds so organic and expressive, I would think it's a real thing.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Yes, that's the one I saw a few weeks ago (the only time I've visited the Moog forum). Glad you found it.

Archived