Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I heard something about a possible new super group

fingertalkin

Consisting of Dave Grohl, someone (my apologies, I forgot the name) from Queens of the Stone Age and John Paul Jones getting together for a tour or an album or something.

That would be cool.

How do you sign a computer screen?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh Homme, Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones in the Studio, Finally

Josh Homme sure hasn't lost his art of keeping a secret. We know about him producing the upcoming Arctic Monkeys' record. And we know about his long-rumored supergroup with Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones. But since the story broke back in 2005, Homme has let very little slip.

But as Antiquiet.com reports, the group has started recording together and are currently in a studio somewhere in the Los Angeles area. Hommes wife, Brody Dalle of Spinnerette, spilled details (kind of). Im not at liberty to talk about it but I think [the project] is pretty fucking amazing," she told Antiquiet. "Just beats and sounds like youve never heard before.

In separate Homme news, in an interview with Rock-A-Rolla, Ipecac Recordings boss Greg Werckman divulged that Homme is working on a another "top secret" project and hopes to enlist some friends to help out. Sounds like another Desert Sessions, if you ask us.

"He's trying to get a lot of people involved in it, too, as a matter of fact he's trying to convince Mike Patton to go out to the desert but Mike hates the desert," Werckman says.

Patton is currently hitting the festival circuit across the pond with a newly reformed Faith No More. Insert obligatory fish jokes.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

What happened to Nick Oliveri, BTW?

IMO, QotSA was not as good after Homme and Oliveri split.

Hopefully, the poject will be good.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I can't imagine why JPJ would be interested in that.

He and Page played with Foo Fighters at their Wembley gig on the (last?) tour. They did "Rock & Roll" and "Ramble On". It was... less than epic. But you could tell Dave and Taylor were having the time of their lives. So that made it infinitely more entertaining.

I got a lot more respect for Dave Grohl after hearing QOTSA's Song for the deaf. I thought that it was one of the best rock albums of the decade and I was consistently marveling at Grohl's inventive heavy drumming. To me he's a special drummer but nothing special at the frontman/singer role he has in the Foo Fighters, which I've never been a big fan of - I really wish he would stick to drums.

Other than 'Lost Art of Keeping a Secret' from their first album and that I album I haven't like QOTSA much.

"Lost Art..." was the song that made me notice QotSA. "Better Living Through Chemistry" off the same album is a great bass work out.

I'm not sure about Grohl as a front man, but the first Foo Fighter's album showed him to be an all-around talent, IIRC, he played almost all the instruments. I wasn't a big Nirvana fan, so I didn't expect much from the Foo's, but with that album I was incredibly pleased.

JPJ had been jamming wit others at Bonnaroo, etc, so it's not as though he's been resting on his past accomplishments. I'd like to hear some tunes efore I pass judgement, or buy tickets.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Let's see what happens. The guest list may be quite interesting.

QotSA stuff I heard was pretty decent. Good, tight, honest, fun music.

I think the first 2 Foo Fighters albums were great, to be honest I haven't really heard much else of theirs. Excellent song writing. Videos were pretty cool too.

JPJ - what can I say, a master of many instruments and styles.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Having seen both the Fighters and QOTSA live, and loving both them and Zeppelin, I would definitely be front row for whatever they come up with.

Isn't Nick Oliveri still doing Mondo Generator?

I remember listening to Songs for the Deaf recently and I recall thinking that the drums were not so technically great as I had imagined when I first got into the album, back when I wasn't such a half-ass drummer like now. But it had a great power feel and plenty of good ideas.

I recall hearing a bit of Grohl's side project Probot - I recall a video with Lemmy on bass - and it was pretty excellent from what little I heard.

I don't dig the Foo, but they aren't bad, for sure. Just kind of meh, and when you put them up against some of their peers they are pretty darn good, I suppose.

I never got Nirvana tho. But I really think he's serving the music world the best - perhaps not the pop world - when he's behind a kit. I would totally hear this new supergroup with keen interest.

Re: Josh Homme, QUOTSAs hit 'No One Knows' was like the first song with blues guitar licks to be a hit in years, was my reaction. Defintely got my attention and he has a lot of talent, in my opinion, even if his guitar work is a bit uneven.

I've never really thought of Dave Grohl as a great technical drummer. But I think he's got a great feel and he hits hard. Essential qualities IMO for a rock drummer.

And for anyone who's wondering, listen to Nirvana's Bleach album and compare it to Nevermind. Changing drummers to Dave Grohl really helped Nirvana to gel.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Dave Grohl is a fabulous drummer for what he does. He isn't going to win a technical competition or amaze you with his abilities to play crazy compound meters. He can sure lay down a solid rock beat with an undeniable groove though. He was very important for making Nirvana work. He was exactly what they needed in the drum chair.

• 5 weeks later...
What happened to Nick Oliveri, BTW?

IMO, QotSA was not as good after Homme and Oliveri split.

Homme saw him as too reckless and apparently there were some incidents were Homme says Oliveri was violent to his girlfriend(s) and he couldn't take any more.

I got Mondo Generator (Oliveri's solo album, named after a Kyuss track from Blues For The Red Sun) and was really disappointed. But then I was also disappointed when Kyuss stopped existing, totally prior to QotSA.

Frankly I see why JPJ would be interested. Grohl is a good drummer and Homme is quite a frontman who knows how to perform. They may not be "legneds" yet but in my mind neither of them is as far away from Zeppelin as some would like to think. (And I'm no fan of the Foo Fighters' material, either.)

Having seen both the Fighters and QOTSA live, and loving both them and Zeppelin, I would definitely be front row for whatever they come up with.

Me too.

I guess I never really mentioned it previously: I'm very much looking forward to hearing this. It has all the potential in the world to be great.

Yes. Yes it does.

Push the button Frank.

Archived