Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KB Players-Go Mercenary, Leader or Solo

ProfD

I do neither of these. My playing is a [insanely serious] hobby, so being in a band is part of the fun. But I like the idea of becoming a mercenary player sometime down the road, probably when I move to a more populated area.

Regarding auditions. If I audition someone, I'd give him 2-3 songs to learn over a week, but expect the songs to be perfect. Then if it works out, give the guy/gal something like 8-10 songs to learn, and then decide. The motivation for this - two songs are enough to figure if the player is competent, regarding both technique and attitude. Learning more songs would be a waste of time for everybody. I was always auditioned with one song. I showed up on time, with good pro gear, set up, nailed the song, and was nice to everybody in the room. When I auditioned for my current band, as soon as the song was over, the singer said "you're in!"

you know, sixteen bars are usually enough to understand the level of the player.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't quite agree that 1 song is enough (or 2 for that matter). At least not for the keyboard player. You can figure out if the bass player can play, you can figure out if the drummer can play. But sometimes you get a song where keyboards have a really lame part. Or the keyboards just shouldn't play anything for most of the part of it. I have such songs in my repertoire. I chill for the duration of them. I might as well go to the bathroom.

While the person auditing should be aware of that sometimes they aren't. Guitar player sometimes can't wrap their brain around the fact that some songs are awesome to play on guitar and are a bore to play on keyboards. Get a song like that for an exclusive shot of impressing someone and you are bound not to pass the audition. Re-arrange the song to impress (or at least to make it less boring) and you still don't pass the audition since you "don't fit the band musical vision".

If the song is right though I agree the 1-2 songs are enough to see if someone can play or not.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

You have a good point, Pale. I assumed that an auditioning band will pick a proper song to demonstrate a keyb player's ability. If they give me a song where I just hold some chords, I perform the simple/small/boring part the best I can, and in case the auditioning party is satisfied by the performance, I get the gig. Of course, you always can comment on the choice: "No problem doing this one, guys, but it barely has keys. Maybe we should pick more challenging song for the audition?" But it may be that all of the band's song are like that, and they'll consider you a snob...

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

But it may be that all of the band's song are like that, and they'll consider you a snob...

Maybe that band isn't for you if that is the case.

Unless, of course, you are in it only for the money. Which might be the case, since we are talking about freelancing and mercenaries.

p.s. Btw, I played "I Know a Little" and Feelin' Allright when I auditioned for my current band. I wasn't informed we were going to play those songs, I just arrived and they asked me to play them.

I say toss the instrumentalist in deep water and see how he swims :D

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

I wonder whether those of us who pursue music as more of a hobby than a profession find the idea of "bands" (as opposed to "mercenaries," "leaders," or "solos") more palatable. For me (a hobbyist), a band works just fine, provided that (i) the overall objectives for the group are shared among the members (whether those objectives are to gig twice a weekend and never rehearse or to gig once in a blue moon and get together frequently to practice/jam) and (ii) everyone gets along relatively well on a personal level.

At the moment, I seem to have slotted my way into just such an arrangement, and, although it might not last, it's working well for me right now.

Noah

KB players do not have to "pick a side". Just a matter of thinking outside the proverbial box.

Inevitably, a group of musos still forms a 'band'. It doesn't have to be of the bad marriage variety. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

When I auditioned for my old band, I had told them that I played keys and a little bass guitar. When I showed up, they told me to leave the keys in the car because they already had some set up, and just bring in the bass. I ended up auditioning (unrehearsed) on bass, which I had never played in a band before. Somehow I got it - bass is a lot easier to pick out your part on the fly and run with it.

Turns out, they had planned on sequencing all the key parts and wanted a Bass player. I got it my way, though, and played keys and sequenced the bass unless it was a song with no keys - then I played bass.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Don't bring your girlfriend to gigs (would you bring her to your office job?)

I completely dig on everything you said except for this part. when a sideman brings his woman to a gig, I take it as a compliment. He digs the project enough to think his girl will enjoy hearing it, and there's also one more person buying food / drinks or whatever else. Maybe she even brings a friend or two, which is even better. More bodies at a gig is never a bad thing in my opinion.

+1. My wife hasn't missed a gig.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I wouldn't bring my wife to a private party or anything, but definitely to a bar or club gig. She likes to dance and she's hot, which makes the band look good ;) Yeah, and her friends like to dance too. Now that I think of it, she might be one of my best features as a keyboard player :lol:

I'm in a tight regular band. Also in a loose, rotating band. I also lead a band. I also do mercenary gigs. And solo gigs.

The tight regular band is the biggest pain in the *ss, requires the most work, and pays the least. But the music is better and more satisfying than anything else I do.

My wife comes to most of my solo gigs as my "road manager". She is very good looking and has a great personality....and is a fine dancer too. I do a lot of country clubs and private parties and sometimes people are a bit reluctant to be the first on the dance floor. She will pick out someone and get them up on the floor and soon the whole room is dancing. She also works the room handing out my business cards and keeps track of the tip jar if I am using one on a particular gig. She also helps with the load-in/load-out of the lightweight items. So...if your S.O. has got what it takes be sure to bring her to your gigs and let her do her thing. Works for me (us).

Archived