Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've quit the band!

stepay

So what do you do? Hired gun?

Nope. I do solo shows live. For recording purposes of my own original music, I bring in people -- drummers, other guitarists/keyboardists, etc. -- who I enjoy working with. But at no point do they (or I) consider themselves in a "band".

Like I said, I'm not against bands. I just reached a point where the challenges started overcoming the fun in one sort of band.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't quit bands - find yourself better characters and better musicians and keep playing. There's nothing like playing live -and you KNOW this- so don't steal this opportunity from yourself because a band leader you played with was untalented or/and stupid. Go on for your next gig and try to forget this one!
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Stepay, sounds like that bandleader suffers from LSD, Lead Singer Disease. He fired your bass player maybe because he was taking the spotlight away too often. As for the clav, maybe he didn't like your clav sound, but I would bet he was just a control freak and was threatened by your superior musical knowledge and skills and felt this was a way of bringing you down.

Personally, I could deal with a Musical Director or artist asking me to try a different sound, or play something differently, as long as I have respect for the person as a musician or artist. If you don't respect the musician's opinions then naturally you're going to say to yourself "What the fuck do they know about music." When you're subbing, or a hired sideman it's easier to swallow your pride and do as your told. When you're part of a casual band it should remain mutually respectful.

Either way, don't let it bring you down man! There's plenty of bands and musos out there. Some guys are assholes, some guys are ego-maniacs, some are super humble, some are cool, some are collaborative and others are hypocritical back stabbers who'll replace a band member without even giving a phone call and being honest. Just find a band you could get along with, respect musically and enjoy working with.

Nice post and I couldn't agree more! I have no problem taking direction from ANY musician whom I can respect as a person and player. Even a drummer. :) My drummer is a great musician, he can sing, he's locked in on his beats, and I respect his opinion. When we're working out an ending or transistion in a song and we are at an impasse, we'll all collaborate together and come up with the best solution. Just because I sort of drive the boat doesn't mean I won't listen to the other shipmates! That's how you have a BAND vs a leader with hired guns.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

the drummer should be, when possible, the best player in the band because he does the most to back up the other players & control the dynamics

Agreed. Everybody can know their parts. But if the drummer can't lay down a tight groove that everyone can follow, you have no foundation; everything falls apart.

...been there.

Actually I was thinking the other way 'round; the drummer needs to be able to follow everyone else & enhance what they do. Drummers are (& should be allowed to be) much more than mere time-keepers.

We now return you to the main subject...

d=halfnote

Great thing about keyboards is you can do lots of solo stuff, and still entertain yourself, or others. Solo, you;ll get tired of that , along the way you'll meet new people.

It took close to 20 years to find 5 guys I want to play with every week. And playing out it nice, but not as important as getting together and playing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a prediction... you're just a little burned out right now. Within a year, you'll get the bug, will find a decent group of guys, and will be out playing again.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a prediction... you're just a little burned out right now. Within a year, you'll get the bug, will find a decent group of guys, and will be out playing again.

Took me six weeks. No audition, just a jam to see if we were musically compatible.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

While I'm not going to say no way to that, I wouldn't put any money on it if I were you.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

the drummer should be, when possible, the best player in the band because he does the most to back up the other players & control the dynamics

Agreed. Everybody can know their parts. But if the drummer can't lay down a tight groove that everyone can follow, you have no foundation; everything falls apart.

...been there.

Actually I was thinking the other way 'round; the drummer needs to be able to follow everyone else & enhance what they do. Drummers are (& should be allowed to be) much more than mere time-keepers.

I respectfully disagree. Drummers are musicians too. In my band the drummer is second best musician, after the guitarist.

Stuff you're saying can be turned against you:"keyboards are nothing more than backing tracks for guitar and shouldn't be allowed to do any solos". "Bass players should only play root notes", "horn section can be replaced with a sampler"...

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

...been there.

Nope.

I value consistency and repetitiveness in a drummer. I also value dynamics.

The last thing I want is a drummer who wants to spice up the arrangement on a whim with fills that no one else in the band is expecting to happen.

Yes, the drummer should listen and compliment the other members. If, during rehearsal - or better yet, before rehearsal, he has ideas that may help develop the arrangement of a tune, not a problem. However, it is a big problem if he plays whatever he feels like in a performance.

Remember, we're talking drummers here. There are many who can beat on a drum, but very few have mastered the technique of listening and complimenting the parts that the other musicians are playing.

Of all the drummers with whom I have played in my life, I can count on one hand (with a couple of fingers left over) the drummers who I would consider to be masterful musicians as well.

IOW, the cost of entry is far too low. It doesn't take much to buy a pair of sticks, borrow a trash can lid, and proclaim that you are now a drummer. Yet it happens all the time.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

A good drummer doesn't impress me with his chops and drum solos (who the hell plays drum solos anymore?). A good drummer catches my attention when the groove is so solid and tight that my playing is effortless. When the drums are locked in everything everybody else is doing becomes effortless. A drummer is like the conductor. He sets the tempo, the dynamics and the overall feel of what you're playing. If he/she is too busy trying to impress you with frills, and 32nd note triplet hi-hat work then all musicality gets lost. There is a time and place for showing off your chops, but they should remain few and far between. The overall sound of the band is what matters most, not individual's chops.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Steve will stick to his guns when challenged. ;)
Unless the gun is in a purse :whistle:

band is a four letter word people...

True on both points. Though, I didn't realize I had garnered such a reputation. Hmmm.

Kanker, what do you call it when you play with Alex Schultz and Tab Robinson? Surely that's a band.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

I was playing in Cordova AK many years ago, and the other band in town changed drummers while they were there. The old drummer was a total drunk, and a jerk, so they had to fire him. (I have a video of us when we played there, and I have to be careful who is in the room when I play it, because you can hear the guy yelling out in full drunk mode "Play the blues, motherf****r")

Keep in mind that there are virtually NO quality musos in small remote towns like that, so they had to fly someone in sight unseen.

The guy they got was a nice emough guy, and knew just about every fill and stick twirl known to man. But he had no idea of how to keep time. It was miserable just listening to the guy, let alone having to play with him.

I prefer a drummer that combines with the bass player to provide the perfect pocket. An occasional fill when warranted, but make sure the groove is there.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Kanker, what do you call it when you play with Alex Schultz and Tab Robinson? Surely that's a band.
That's a gift, particularly when we occasionally go a year or so without Alex
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

That's why I play in a trio!!!

aL :snax:

Is a trio not a band? I guess Rush and the Police weren't bands? Far as I'm concerned, anything more than solo is a band. Duo is on the line, but you still have to get along with, and play with somebody besides yourself. Now if you're solo, and you get into arguments with the "band", you're schizophrenic.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yeah, I know you don't like guitarists. Quite honestly, he's a decent guitarist from the few things I've seen, but he's not the best musician in that little group (not band) of yours. Guitarists CAN really add to the sound though if they are good.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

That's why I play in a trio!!!

aL :snax:

Is a trio not a band? I guess Rush and the Police weren't bands?

Sense of humor: try one on!

Sorry, I guess I just didn't get it. Trio is a 4 letter word too, was that the joke? Am I really slow today? (...more so than normal)

Dan

I've said it before on the other forums, but being "in between bands" is a great time to make new musical discoveries about yourself.

Push your limits. Try some new solo arrangements or work on technique or performance skills. (Make The Killer proud).

Compose! Either compositions or songs (lyrics set to music). Work your songwriting muscles and try to complete a solo CD.

If you don't currently sing lead, give it a try. In either case work on improving your pipes. Try to sing some songs on your solo CD. And/or work on 20-40 covers you can sing and play.

KB is probably the least limited solo instrument, i.e. KB players are exposed to nearly every ensemble role save percussion (typically). Challenge yourself by learning more about percussion (drums) and create drum parts for your solo CD that are more than just an afterthought. If you can do this on an actual drum kit, all the better. [Yes, I know piano is a percussion instrument, but you all know what I mean.]

Spend some time with your guitar. Try to come up with some ripping guitar parts and solos for your solo CD.

Borrow a bass if you don't have one and try to play bass guitar on at least one song on your solo CD.

Try new genres. Even ones you don't care for.

As you are doing all these things you may want to go to open mics around town, especially to test drive your originals or new covers you've learned.

If you're up for it, go to an open jam and make sure you get to lead on at least one song. (You pick the song and handle lead vocals.) Be kind and comp for a couple but don't do that all night unless you feel like it.

There's more of a chance with KB that you can go solo and never look back. If so, no worries. Book your own shows and enjoy.

Or maybe you'll come back like the Klop ( :o ) and book shows to play your originals and hire people you like to work with.

Or you could come back as a lead singer/KB player and book shows to play a set list you control and hire people you like to work with.

Yeah, I know you don't like guitarists. Quite honestly, he's a decent guitarist from the few things I've seen, but he's not the best musician in that little group (not band) of yours. Guitarists CAN really add to the sound though if they are good.

Well, while I don't like most guitarists, Alex is the shit it's a gift to be able to play with a cat of his caliber. He has an extremely deep well to draw on, and never ceases to blow me away with the stuff he can pull out of his axe. I just wish we could play together more often.

Anyway, it sounds to me like you've made a good decision. There's no reason to try to stick with a gig that's going down the tubes, particularly when the music and the bandleader are becoming a drag.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

It seems like Kevin is very lucky getting gigs with guitarists who are real musicians like Alex and Seth. There are too many shredders and in the "blues" scene, SRV wannabes.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The two guitarists in my band are excellent (and tastefull!) players and have NO egos. We're great friends and known each other for over 27 years. I've been VERY fortunate to hook up with these sweet talented guys.

So it IS possible. I've basically been playing with most of the same folks for about 30 years and we all do our side projects and side bands but continue to play together. I feel blessed and Stepay it may be possible you will find a similar situation at some point. Maybe give it a rest for now to let the unfavorable feelings subside and then see how you feel.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

amen to all of these posts guys. it seems to me that some musicians forget these simple facts

1. singers - sing

2. guitarist - play guitars

3. drummers - keep the beat

4. bassists - set the groove

5. keyboardists - well guys.... we play every other bloody instrument and most times all at the one time!!!

when will they learn. i agree with ian - sounds like that leader was a control freak and a solo robber. clavs rule, stevie wonder would testify to that!!! better of gone dude.

Korg kronos, casio px5s, studiologic sl 88 studio, korg m50,korg triton, yamaha moxf6, hammond xk1, korg sp200

...I'll give Stepay credit for tolerance.

If a band "leader" (or member) stomped on my turf like that in my 20's or 30's, there'd be a "leader" (or member) eatin' corn-on-the-cob with no teeth (to quote the "Blues Brothers").

I see a total lack of respect for you and your instrument.

You did the right thing...

Just like in any other relationship, communication is the key. Most people don't take the time to express what they REALLY feel and they hold it in. Then all of sudden things start to fall apart because people aren't getting what they need out of a relationship.

ALways be direct and set your expecatations from the start and always ask other individuals what they are expecting. IT HELPS!!!!!

Archived