Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Need to Avoid Music Stores

rdownton

In Canada the big music retailer is Long & McQuade. They also own Traynor, Yorkville and Apex brands. Anyway, I visited their store in Downtown Toronto the other day and they have a new Rhodes Mark 7. It's the passive 73 key. Unfortunately they had it going through a Traynor K2 amp which didn't sound very good at all. They are selling it for $3,999 Canadian!! I didn't have the heart to ask how much the AM model with speakers are. I would love to own a new Rhodes but at that price it will never happen. I'm not a serious enough player to justify it and that's a lot of money for an emotional purchase.

They also had a PC3 and a PC361, which I really loved. This was bad for me. To make matters worst they also had a PC1se (which I currently own) so I could compare. The organs sounded great to me and the interface seemed really easy to navigate. The 61 key would be great to use as a 2nd board but I'll probably never do that. I have enough gear playing guitar and keys. I find the PC1se a little heavy for playing organ stuff and my hands feel it at the end of a night, especially when we play back to back. I think the PC3 might be a good compromise for action. The pianos sound great to me too.

The smart move would be to trade the PC1se in on the PC3. I don't think I could bring myself to part with it so it looks like I'll need to start saving my pennies for a new board.

Keys: Kurzweil PC3 & PC1se, Nord Electro 2, Roland HP603

Guitars: Strat Plus, Les Paul Std, Martin DC-16RGTE

Amps: Mackie SRM450, Fender Cyber Twin & Studio 85, Traynor Block 12, Boss GT-1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't come out ahead on a trade-in on your KB anymore than you do trading in your car on a new one. Basically, they get your car for free AND make some profit on selling you the new model.

If you have to save your pennies anyway, you might want to put some feelers out there (Craig's List) local publications or Internet sites to see what you can get for your PC1se. Someone may want to spend what you are selling it for, provided your selling price is not too high compared to a new one.

At least you HAVE a music store you can walk in to that actually demo a variety of equipment. Not so where I live. 3999.00 for the new Rhodes?? WOW, I'd take a long PASS on that KB. I don't believe that the new Rhodes company knows what the fair market value is of their instrument. Good luck with that!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

3999.00 for the new Rhodes?? WOW, I'd take a long PASS on that KB.

I have a feeling that, based on another current thread regarding the new Rhodes, many people will be taking a long PASS on that keyboard.

Frankly, I usually take a long pass on most everything and let someone else be the early adopter. Sometimes I wait so long that a new revision has come out and the price has dropped a bit.

I recommend this approach to anyone who is considering the purchase of a new Rhodes.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hanging out in a music store is the best way to cause a GAS flare up especially if one is not careful.

Spending time around newer gear sometimes creates the illusion that your current gear is not quite up to par.

Prior to dropping coin or swiping plastic, it is a good idea to go home, play your KB and fall in love with it again.

This isn't a knock against the new Rhodes, PC3 or anything else in the music store. There is a time to upgrade.

The euphoria of being around a new shiny piece of metal and plastic is not it. Hope this helps. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hanging out in a music store is the best way to cause a GAS flare up especially if one is not careful.

Spending time around newer gear sometimes creates the illusion that your current gear is not quite up to par.

I've avoided visiting all music stores (my last visit was to Sam Ash in March to play an Oasys before it was sold).

Right now I can't afford anything new anyway.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I took the thrifty man's approach to GAS satiation. I've been scouring Craigslist and "the Bay" of late, and scored a Kurzweil K2000RS for... get this... CDN$175. :eek:

And 2 days ago, I took an accordion in for servicing (a garage sale find needed a bit of a refurb before I could bring it out to the acoustic gigs that I sometimes frequent), and what should I find in a dusty rack in the corner but an absolutely gorgeous, as-close-to-mint-as-you'll-find one of these gems:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2258/2190973131_a400241ee6.jpg

Price? CDN $300. :cool:

So it might not be NEW gear, but it's stuff I've always wanted to get back into my rig (had a JX10 for a year or so in the late 80's, hated giving it up, but needed to put food on the table... blah blah blah ;) ).

So yeah, GAS can be dealt with, at least partially, via less costly means. :)

I've started GASsing after a V-Synth. I'm hoping bed rest and plenty of fluids helps.

I wish you well in that regard. The V-Synth does have a lot of creative potential. Thankfully, the price tag turned me away. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

In the past two weeks I've bought 3 guitars (Takamine EF341SC acoustic-electric/Alvarez MD80 Masterworks dreadnought acoustic/Ibanez RG1570 electric), Line 6 Spider Jam 112 Combo Amplifier and Line 6 FBV Shortboard controller pedal. Oh, and Hohner Golden Melody Harmonica 7-Pack.

I need to stay away from musician forums which tend to lead me to online music stores. :mad:

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I need to stay away from musician forums which tend to lead me to online music stores. :mad:

drewgottamottafottastaywayfrudatdamHarmonieSentrumalittledab'lldewyaluckystrikemeanzfinetobaccie...

betchacan'teatjustoneandwhycan'twealljustgetalongli'ldoggie...?

http://www.petsalley.com/photos/dachshund.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

At least you guys make money. I'm sixteen, have no regular job, make no gig money, and have no more allowance. Try buying new stuff with that kind of cash flow.

When I was 15 I borrowed a keyboard (I didn't even have my own keyboard, only a beat up piano!!), and did wedding gigs. I also had a saxophone on loan, and I did funeral gigs (not a fun gig at all, but the money was decent). All the money in those 2-3 years was earned on borrowed instruments.

You can always work something out.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Well, you know, ..., I'm an addict. But there is worse things to be addicted to than musical instruments. :)

True, true ...

And rdownton, at least you guys across the pond still have physical music stores. London lost three big ones last year. :(

Music stores have been dropping like flies here too. The Internet has changed everything.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

You have the capacity to work part-time and have zero expences... you're probably in a better situation than some of these guys who have families and bills and whatnot.

That's true, but I don't have enough time for that part-time job because I'm always playing music or acting or at school. No one hires people to work 3 hours a week.

The Internet is also hurting the record stores. My favourite store closed after 30 years of business. It was a landmark of the city's commercial sector and had a great selection of jazz, blues, reggae, ska, dub, funk, soul, rnb, rock, folk, etc. Basically everything good. The owner cited Amazon especially as his downfall.

Amazingly the mom and pop stores are holding on in the Louisville KY metro area. The closest chain store is 70 miles away in Lexington which has an area population less than half that of the Louisville. When I go to a music store I bypass Lexington and drive the extra distance to Louisville.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

And rdownton, at least you guys across the pond still have physical music stores. London lost three big ones last year. :(

This is a very good point. The downtown L&M is the only place I know of that usually carries a wide range. They usually have everything.

I forgot to mention they also had the new Roland V piano there plugged into the a KC880. I walked out of there in a daze dreaming of how I can score that PC3 and forgot to give it a play.

Keys: Kurzweil PC3 & PC1se, Nord Electro 2, Roland HP603

Guitars: Strat Plus, Les Paul Std, Martin DC-16RGTE

Amps: Mackie SRM450, Fender Cyber Twin & Studio 85, Traynor Block 12, Boss GT-1

drewgottamottafottastaywayfrudatdamHarmonieSentrumalittledab'lldewyaluckystrikemeanzfinetobaccie...

betchacan'teatjustoneandwhycan'twealljustgetalongli'ldoggie...?

http://www.petsalley.com/photos/dachshund.jpg

This is a very good point.

Thank you. :cool:

This is a very good point. The downtown L&M is the only place I know of that usually carries a wide range. They usually have everything.

Cosmo Music up in Richmond Hill has a similar selection; I'm up this way, so it's a hell of a lot easier to go there than head downtown. ;)

(just in case you're in the 'burbs...)

Archived