Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you know you need new frets

ThisSiteSucks

Was playing on the strat vs lp. I know the lp has bigger frets, but the strats frets just seemed way, way smaller.

I bought it in 2005...it's got some hours on it. Are there any measurements I can take? I've never had to have a guitar refretted...what do I need to be looking/asking for?

I wouldn't mind a little bigger fret than the standard strat comes with, but I'm clueless in this area.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some strats come with larger frets these days, but the rule of thumb is that Fenders usually have smaller, narrower frets. It doesn't mean the Strat needs new frets.

The way to tell is if you have grooves in the frets under the strings. Usually, those can be milled out. but doing that takes the entire fret's height down, and you can only do that so many times before you're down close to to the wood. That's when you need to replace the frets.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

I had a fret dress on my strat style quiet a few years back (the neck is a warmoth with jumbo frets) and it felt like a new guitar...they were fairly worn btw. Has anyone tried stainless steel frets?

I've tried out a few (two or three) guitars in stores over the years that had stainless steel frets; seemed great, I like the idea of much slower fret-wear/fewer fret-jobs (if ever), and changing strings more often instead of frets- so, if the time comes for a re-fret on any guitar I ever own, I'll very likely switch to stainless. And if I get a new Warmoth neck, for example, I'd opt for stainless frets from the start.

I'd think that, aside from the greater hardness and wear-resistance of SS frets, the material isn't as important as the quality of the fretwork and total set-up.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've just sent the neck on the Frankenstrat for a fret dressing - the frets nearer the nut are worn while the upper frets are still tall - it means I can't get a good action.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/geoffbyrne/Sale/P6050077.jpg

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

If I had a Fender that needed re fretting I would simply buy a fretted neck from Warmoth and bolt it on. That would probably be the easiest solution.

A warmoth neck would cost about the same as a pro refret, wouldn't it?

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived