Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Maybe OT, maybe not: Metronome + tone generator

Mark Zeger

My daughter recently received a great trumpet practice tip. It requires a metronome that generates chromatic tones at the same time as the tempo clicks. I've looked at metronomes from Korg, Sabine, and the Boss Dr Beat series. All of these will output chromatic pitches through the speaker but not while using the metronome function.

She e-mailed the person who gave her the tip but hasn't heard back yet. I've looked on the web and in stores but haven't yet found anything.

Has anyone seen something like this?

BTW, the tip is:

- set a metronome tempo

- set a tone as a root note drone

- practice scales, arpeggios, patterns, etc. against the root in all keys at varying tempos

She's done this with Smart Music on a computer but the metronome/tone generator idea is great for traveling, practice rooms, etc.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a reason to use Dad's synthesizers/sequencers. :D:thu:

My kids are less polite. They just walk in and play a note to see what will happen.

On a laptop there all kinds of possibilities but I assume you are looking for a small portable hardware unit with a speaker?

Does she have an iPhone or iPod Touch? If so, I use iSyn which is an app that includes 2 synths and a drum machine and step sequencer for each part. Would do what she is looking for with ease. Of course, a $30 hardware piece would be a cool tool. As long as it could do way more than chromatic scales in way more than 4/4 time.

On a laptop there all kinds of possibilities but I assume you are looking for a small portable hardware unit with a speaker?

She just got a laptop and will put Smart Music on it, but something small (i.e. pocket sized) for keeping in an instrument case and taking to a practice room is what she's looking for.

Does she have an iPhone or iPod Touch? If so, I use iSyn which is an app that includes 2 synths and a drum machine and step sequencer for each part. Would do what she is looking for with ease. Of course, a $30 hardware piece would be a cool tool. As long as it could do way more than chromatic scales in way more than 4/4 time.

iPod/iPhone app...we may have a winner!

There are $30 hardware solutions that are so close but none that will put out a chromatic reference tones and the tempo click at the same time.

BTW, I saw Lionel Loueke a few weeks ago. His bass player created the iRealBook! Very cool. Changes only, no melodies (copyright issues), but cool. http://irealbook.net/iReal_Book/Home/Home.html

Buy two of them

I agree that's maybe the easiest route to go.

I have both the Korg MA 30 and the MC 30. Both very small, reliable, they'll fit easily into any instrument bag and they should set you back for something like 40 $.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Archived