Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone play a melodica?

Skinny

I'm thinking of getting one. The Hammond 44 Melodion caught my interest, but it's out of my budget. I am curious if one of the cheaper ones by Hohner are usable on stage (normal rock band volume) - can they be miked easily?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stuff and things.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this helps... I have an old Hohner, just for when I'm asked to sit in on non-keyboard gigs. :laugh: It's doable, depending on the band's volume and setup.

On stage, I hold a mic against the bottom of it while holding the melodica. Yeah, a bit awkward, but it blasts through a PA, no problem. Stay away from speakers to avoid feedback, and it's nowhere near as nice or convenient as the 44 Melodian.

I use melodica in a Brazilian group to simulate some bandoneon accompinments and leads. I made a pickup up using a 3 inch strip of plastic PVDF piezo material (you can find this cheap on e-bay) plugged into a small K&K preamp w/volume control. I taped it onto the bottom of the melodica. Works fine--some key clack, but actually, that's part of the ambiance. (i.e., you can hear that key clack on close miced bandoneons on recordings as well.)

You will also want a playing tube if the Hohner doesn't have one. You should be able fabricate your own using tubing from a hardware store, or looking through materials at www. mcmaster. com .

But I don't play at rock volume--actually, while I love listening to rock recordings, I'm the kind of person who doesn't think "normal" is the correct modifier for "rock band volume" -- you'll just have to experiment to find out. Nice thing about the pickup v microphone is you don't have to worry about feedback much, though the body of the meleodica acts as a bit of sound chamber and I occasionally get feedback if I turn the wrong direction.

I've played them & they're as easily mic'd as any other vocal or wind source.

I support VLH's suggestion of a tube b/c, if you tend to look toward the KBoard, there's a real crosseyed thing that happens.

FWIW, skip all ideas that involve holding anything.

The instrument, mic, etc., should be secured in place.

It's possible to do otherwise but if something drops, there goes the show!

d=halfnote

I support VLH's suggestion of a tube b/c, if you tend to look toward the KBoard, there''s a real crosseyed thing that happens.

FWIW, skip all ideas that involve holding anything.

Actually, I find it nice to hold the melodica itself. The physical connection of holding the instrument, breathing into, and playing the keys makes for a different approach. Taping the pickup to the melodica means I don't have to worry about trying to hold the mic and melodica together, though I'm sure you could learn to do that.

You might be able to rig a small lapel mic onto a rod that mounted on your melodica. The sound is not localized...there is a reed for each key, so it is coming out across the entire span.

I have the Hammond 44 and love it. The internal mic works great and the extra keys are nice to have. On the other hand if you don't want to spend that much money, try looking at the Suzuki Pro-37v2. I have one of these as well and it sounds wonderful. And in fact it is much more comfortable to hold due to its slightly rounded back (fits better in the hand) than the Hohner or the H44. No mic though so you'll have to rig something up or stand at a mic stand. I made a mic boom for my Pro-37v2 that worked quite well. The boom is so thick because I would up the extra cable coming from the lapel mic and tucked it under the green tape. I have since removed the extra cabling and used black tape so the boom looks less obtrusive. It attaches to the bottom o the instrument with velcro.

http://www.jazzitupband.com/images/MelodionMic/4_BackView.jpg

More pics in the 9th post of THIS thread.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I picked a $60 melodica off of this page: http://www.melodicas.com/melodica_comparison_chart.htm. It sounds great, though intonation on a couple of keys is a bit dodgy. Evidently one can adjust some intonation but I've not gotten the nerve up to pop the case. If I were to redo my purchase I would go for the $115 L37, which seems a better quality instrument.

Haven't had to play vs. rock stage volume, so have nothing to offer there.

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Archived