Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Classic Bootsy - where to start?

Punka

Hey,

I just read through some ol issues of BP and found the Superbad article on Bootsy and the JB's doing the soundtrack for that movie (which was pretty funny, actually :). I listened to it for the fun of it an ... HELL those guys groove & FUNK~! I'm a white boy but that made even me feel it. :D

Now I would love to listen to more of Bootsys playin and funk in general. I read in said interview that James Brown was a huge guy back in the day and I really dug those old school sounds on the soundtrack, so could somebody help me out here with some nice records from the 60s n 70s featuring Bootsy? That would be rad. :)

Thanks,

Chris

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a live James Brown album, can't remember the name of it, seems like it said something about Las Vegas, or maybe the Boogaloo, but I'm not sure. It's the real deal if you really want the old school funk. But, you don't have to choose one recording over another. Just pick up anything with the name "James Brown" on it. It WILL be funkier than a fat man's drawers.

Just find the one, brah, that's where the funk is. Just find the one...

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Yeah, start with the James Brown years before moving into the P-Funk, IMO.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

For straight up Bootzilla - you can't go wrong with what Phil linked. I was going to suggest the same album.

But really you should start with the James Brown era first. And remember that he was only 18/19 years old when he started gigging with The Godfather of Soul.

It was later when he got Casper on Echoplex with a friendly boooooo. Dig? I thought so.

Check it out:

Bootsy teaches you how to play funk bass.

Despite what the credits say, this lesson came from the British TV show called Rockschool. I have a copy of the episode and play it for all my students.

[video:youtube]

Here's a great live performance. Nice solos by the Hiram Bullock (rip) and the token white guy, David Sanborn. [video:youtube]

Another snippet from the Rockschool show:

[video:youtube]

Teenage Bootsy with James Brown. The funkiest version of Sunny you will ever hear:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ftk4540l9U

Excuse me while I do the boogaloo.

Here's a great live performance. Nice solos by the Hiram Bullock (rip) and the token white guy, David Sanborn.

I'm calling shenanigans on that live performance. Bootsy obviously stops playing and there is still much funkified envelope filter bass going on.

Sometime in either 1968 or 1969 I got to see Bootsy play with James Brown at the Sugar Shack in Boston. He did a solo that was totally syncopated and outrageous. I'm glag I got to see him with James Brown.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived