Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NI Komplete discounted in July

Aidan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to hear of your hiccup, Bobby - I'm sure NI will sort it out for you in fairly short order. I actually had to cancel the update of Service Center as I realised it would take too long to download as I was going out. I expected problems from doing so but the next day I launched it again and it successfully downloaded the updated version.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Bobby, I had an issue with Service Center where it wouldn't start. I was given these instructions by NI. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it might.

1 Delete both the folder called "NI Service Center" and the folder called

"Service Center" from Macintosh HD/Applications (one or both may be present,

both must be deleted)

2 Delete ServiceCenter.plist (if present) and

com.native-instruments.ServiceCenter.plist from Macintosh

HD/Library/Preferences

3 Delete com.native-instruments.Service Center.plist (if present) from

Macintosh HD/Users/~/Library/Preferences

4 Empty Trash

5 Download and install the latest version of Service Center 2 from

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=freeupdates_us

6 Repair Disk Permissions with Disk Utility located in Macintosh

HD/Applications/Utilities

7 Launch Service Center 2 and follow the steps to activate

Busch.

Will do. I tried downloading another version of service center to no avail.

Hi,- Bob is right,- contact support.

My experience is,phonecalls are the best,-

these fixed my probs always AFAP,- except the few bugs ... :-)

A.C.

Busch,

It WORKED. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I only had to delete the folder in my applications folder, all others weren't there. Thanks! Now I don't have to wait for an email back from NI and can get down to the dirty business of installing!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

So if you plan to do this in very near future, better install all and de-install/un-register the ones you already have,- except you have to keep all these or 1 or 2 to qualify for the purchase of the whole bundle. One of the serial numbers of one of your old products becomes the serial for Komplete then and in my case that was B4 I. (I don´t know if this also rules for this special and limited offer,- ask support).

The Komplete 5 versions being sold at $399/399 Euros are full retail versions, and these are not tied to any previous version.

If you have previously purchased other NI products that are part of Komplete, you can get NI to remove them from your online account so you can sell them if you want.

I'm realy tempted to spring for this. Anybody using the NI stuff live on a PC laptop? The only NI instrument I own is B4, and I've had some issues with it and my preferred host, Brainspawn Forte, besides, I like the sound of VB3 better. But have been considering Kontakt to fill out some holes in my live rig, primarily EP's. Any experience?

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

If memory serves from fooling around with NI Elektrik Piano a couple years ago I'd say Elektrik piano beats EVP88, not by a huge amount, but pretty well. As far as wurly's go there is no comparison, the wurlys in EVP88 are a joke. Once I get this all installed (as we speak, disc 4 of 12), I can do a better A-B test.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

If memory serves from fooling around with NI Elektrik Piano a couple years ago I'd say Elektrik piano beats EVP88, not by a huge amount, but pretty well. As far as wurly's go there is no comparison, the wurlys in EVP88 are a joke. Once I get this all installed (as we speak, disc 4 of 12), I can do a better A-B test.
In some ways it's not really a fair comparison. EVP88 is a modeler, Elektrik uses samples. That said Elektrik does sound better. Neither one comes close to Scarbee, but for the price of Komplete, who can argue?
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Confirmed,- EP Rhodes and Wurli sound "better",- let´s say more authentic, than the Emagic stuff.

EVD6 Clavinet is the best sounding of the Logic vintage instruments IMO.

But if we come to the details of sample based instruments, the Scarbie Rhodes surpasses the Elektrik Piano.

Sample based instruments depend on the model which was available for sampling and to my ears, Scarbie sampled a Rhodes in better condition.

There are some design issues of Elektrik Piano,- p.ex. you´re addicted to the presets and related FX programming done by NI w/ Elektrik Piano,- means, you cannot freely configurate the FX and the controls of these FX in Elektrik Piano, which is a disadvantage.

You can do it in Kontakt only by using the dry EP presets and samples being loaded in Kontakt and selecting/combining Kontakt-FX. Unfortunally, the convolution FX in Kontakt are cpu-hungry.

AFAIK, EVP88 is a modelling instrument, not a sample based one, so it´s a "apples ´n oranges" comparison.

If it comes to modelling instruments, I like the GSi stuff most.

Mr.Ray73mkII, VB3 and especially ZD6 are excellent and low cost virtual modelling instruments and ZD6 is the only Clavinet D6 around which offers a (midi controllable) damper slider, which is a very important feature of the original instrument.

These plugins sound very authentic to my ears and they don´t need lots of CPU surprisingly.

It´s not the case I don´t like the NI stuff, it´s usable, no question, but there are alternatives around meanwhile and at much lower cost.

As a long time user of the NI Komplete range, I must say, there´s no other software package I own, which introduced so much trouble regarding installation, authorisation and updating and re-authorisation as the NI stuff did.

I´ll keep this package until Komplete 6 will be released to see what comes next and if the confirmed bugs are fixed then.

Kontakt, up to now, is the best sampleplayer available. Let´s see what it offers in 64Bit version 3.5 if released and which bugs will be introduced in addition.

For me, only Kontakt is worth to keep Komplete,- all sample based stuff can be done in Kontakt itself.

The synth line, for me, is a bit dissappointing and can be easily replaced by many other virtuals I own and I own originals too, FM and real analogues p.ex..

There are tons of patches coming w/ the synth line of NI, but these are pretty much DJ and dance/techno orientated ones which I don´t need at all.

Reaktor is a intelligent designed complex toy for sounddesigners and instrument builders,- but who has the time to construct his own virtual machines ?

The user library is cluttered w/ malfunctioning and cpu-hungry synth creations most doing the same, one-finger-self-playing and sound mangeling virtual machines more or less syncable to a hosts tempo. Even the user library is a great pool, it needs ages to test all the stuff and finding the few great and usable ensembles existing to come to the point of making music, not programming of patches, instruments and ensembles.

I like Guitar Rig as a Fx and amps/cabinets rack to tweak other virtual instruments, but there are also so many other amp and cabinet sims and FX around in the web and as freeware,- good sounding ones b.t.w.!

For the actual price, Komplete is a no brainer, but I myself, I had to pay much more over the years for Komplete 2/3/4 and 5 even I got a better price because of the prelaunch edition offers and the Komplete Care in the past.

For me, it was disappointing regarding quality and stability for that price.

If I look back, it would have been the best decision buying only Kontakt in the past because that´s the "real" engine behind all the sample based instruments NI offers.

But it´s also possible it can be replaced by new innovations in near future.

I actually watch Kristal Labs/Presonus Studio One DAW which comes w/ a fully integrated 64Bit sampling instrument advertised as "the easiest to map" sampler importing all formats. Let´s see ...

A.C.

Well, I can't activate my bundle. I can't get Service Center to detect that I've installed the products. I have in fact installed all of it, and they all work fine (in demo mode, that is), but no products show up on the list of installed products in Service Center. So there is no place for me to enter in the serial numbers. Ever heard this one, A.C.?

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

I looked on MFs website today too to show someone and it looks like all they have is the upgrade from Komplete 4. That was fast!

Well, I can't activate my bundle. I can't get Service Center to detect that I've installed the products. I have in fact installed all of it, and they all work fine (in demo mode, that is), but no products show up on the list of installed products in Service Center. So there is no place for me to enter in the serial numbers. Ever heard this one, A.C.?

Are you using the most current version of NI Service Center?

http://co.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=freeupdates

As background, the original versions of Komplete 4 and Komplete 5 came with an NI Service Center app that was based on Flash. NI had so much trouble with it, they ended up creating their current NI Service Center app that doens't use Flash at all. I don't know if these Komplete 5 boxes being sold now have the most current version of Service Center or not.

*** WARNING ***

If any of you are still thinking about buying Komplete 5, you need to do it very fast!!! Most online stores are already sold out (this was a "limited quantities" promotion), and I think NovaMusik is the only one who still might have units available:

http://co.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=freeupdates

Well, I can't activate my bundle. I can't get Service Center to detect that I've installed the products.

It´s not Service Center which activates your already installed products, even these are recognized by SC. :-)

It´s their activation server !

I have in fact installed all of it, and they all work fine (in demo mode, that is),...

That shows, Service Center recognizes the product(s), but there seems to be a communication prob between SC on your machine and NI´s Activation Server (in most cases you can blame their server and SC,-not your machine).

... but no products show up on the list of installed products in Service Center. So there is no place for me to enter in the serial numbers. Ever heard this one, A.C.?

YES !

1.)

Which version of Service Center do you have installed on your computer?

If you start installation of Komplete, the installer 1st installs SC from the DVD automatically,- which is a old version for sure.

Did you update SC or did SC update itself ?

There is a new version of SC, version 2 or similar.

It might be you have to download and install the new version of SC, go online and it updates itself,- this is what SC normally does.

2.)

Are you sure your firewall doesn´t block SC ?

3.)

NI changed the design of their website some time ago,- I recognize, my office machine behaves very slow if I visit their website which is extremely annoying.

NI has often probs w/ their download- and activation-servers.

If 1.) and 2.) make no difference it´s the best you call registration support, they can activate your product(s) manually and next time they show up activated in SC.

Don´t open a support-ticket via e-mail, it needs days before you´ll get a reply.

Unfortunally I cannot tell you more or better,- my old DAW died some time ago and I´m far away from installing Komplete and Bandstand again, but I´m sure I´ll hang on the phone too then and like it was before always.

hope that helps,- good luck ...

A.C.

Try the steps that Busch recommended for me a couple pages back. It worked for me. And I just got my E-mail back from NI today and it was step by step the same instructions Busch gave me. The thing is you can't just download the new Service center and expected to run smoothly, you have to DELETE the traces of the old one and THEN install the new one. That did the trick for me.

Try the steps that Busch recommended for me a couple pages back. It worked for me. And I just got my E-mail back from NI today and it was step by step the same instructions Busch gave me. The thing is you can't just download the new Service center and expected to run smoothly, you have to DELETE the traces of the old one and THEN install the new one. That did the trick for me.

Will do. But I'm on a PC though, not a Mac. I'm wondering if the steps are basiclly the same, or if there are more/less/different files that I should be looking for (to delete) on a PC.

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

Sweet lawd.

I finished installing this morning, had to go to work, then had to come home and learn a bunch of tunes for a gig that I am leaving for in 30 minutes, but I've had time to fire up most everything if only for a couple minutes and fool around with some presets. I'm liking it and yet I'm scared of how DEEP I could go with any of this stuff.

I'll tell you what this gives me serious GAS for - - - a Receptor. How can I stand gigging with my Motif XS organ with B4II at my fingertips!? I know that Logic's organ is pretty great too, and it is, but for me B4II sounds just a little better, AND its interface makes more sense. I am a little disappointed with Akoustik Piano, but I wasn't expecting to be blown away here based on what I've heard. Everything else seems awesome so far.

Yeah, B4 totally rawks. Not feeling that piano either. Don't know if the Vienna Symphonic stuff is still part of Kontakt, but if it is you're gonna love that as well.

As for gigging, hardware synths are really losing their edge compared to software instruments. I was saving up for an Motif XS8 but seriously think that money would be better spent on a proper controller and Macbook Pro.

Have Fun, Bob!

But I'm on a PC though, not a Mac. I'm wondering if the steps are basiclly the same, or if there are more/less/different files that I should be looking for (to delete) on a PC.

Shaka,- my main DAW computers are PCs too, but I know, reading NI users forum, activation- and "not finding presets/library"-probs on Mac and PC are quite different.

If your probs aren´t fixed already, download the Service Center 2 from Ni website and download Piriform CCleaner (it´s free), install, reboot your machine and launch CCleaner. De-install SC from your machine by using CCleaners "extras"-tab.

Clean the registry by double-click the registry-icon in CCleaner,- it backups you registry if you click "yes" at that point. Don´t close the program,- run the registry cleaning function again. If it says "no issues found"(or similar,- don´t know in engl. version),- close CCleaner and reboot your machine.

Launch CCleaner again and use the "cleaner"-tab,- this deletes all unused crap leftover by de-installations from your system-drive/partition.

Install Service Center 2 now, go online and start Service Center.

If there´s a new SC2 update available, SC2 updates itself and launches it´s main window then. Use the several tabs in SC2 according to your needs now,- activation p.ex..

If this doesn´t work, there must be something w/ your system (services?), or online connection or it´s a fault at NI, maybe server overload because many newcomers who buyed this special offer of Komplete have similar probs and hog the server or their server is temporary in bad condition.

May I ask for your operating system ? I´m on XP Pro SP2.

I do configurations of services by using XP Antispy which is a "few-mouseclicks"-solution to tweak all the unneccessary background processes and MS-spy-s**t (It also allows deinstallation of Windows Media Player).

General advice:

I´m using a few apps w/ great success to keep my system and drives clean and running smooth since years.

XP Antispy (services)

CCleaner (de-installations, registry/drives cleaning)

Doublekiller (kills twins of any files on any drive)

HD-Tune (checks/ tests your drives for faults and performance)

Sysinternals Process Explorer (shows runnig processes and DLLs)

DPC Latency Checker

Everest Home Edition (monitors everything of your computer)

All these helpers are freeware and work great.

Commercial software:

Acronis (System- and drive-backups)

O-O Defrag Pro (best and fastest defragmentation)

Partition Magic

Most issues I had (not only w/ NI) were caused by registry entrys leftover from imperfect de-installations and leftover file fragments.

I got all the NI products running smooth even on outdated/slower computers, well, except the bugs the NI product line introduces anyway.

But unfortunally, there´s NO bugfree software.

A.C.

Bobby, I suggest with Akoustik Piano that you try the following on Steinway and Bosendorfer:

* Use the EQ to roll off (just a little dip) a bit of the top end. With the Bosendorfer, add a little low end too so you have a shallow-ish sine wave shape.

* Change the "Bass" setting to "strong" for the Bosie and "medium" for the D.

* Change the vel curve to -1

* Choose the Concert Hall space and tweak the reverb up a little.

I find this works pretty well for me.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Sweet lawd.

I'll tell you what this gives me serious GAS for - - - a Receptor.

Have in mind, you never have the latest versions/updates of NI´s software by using Receptor.

I know that Logic's organ is pretty great too, and it is, but for me B4II sounds just a little better, AND its interface makes more sense.

The one and only advantage NI B4II has over all competitors is,- 2 leslies simultaneously.

I did excellent recording of Hammond also w/ EVB3 in Logic in a friends studio and by tweaking the virtual mic positions and ramp times for leslie speed.

I am a little disappointed with Akoustik Piano, but I wasn't expecting to be blown away here based on what I've heard. Everything else seems awesome so far.

There´s a better preset for Akustik Piano "by Olivier" in the NI users forum for AP,- do a search and try it out.

Also replace some samples you´ll find in the AP threads.

Do a search. There were also mp3 examples.

I´m happy to have AP,- I use only AP and Reason Pianos depending on the tune.

A.C.

Don't know if the Vienna Symphonic stuff is still part of Kontakt, but if it is you're gonna love that as well.

Yes, the Vienna stuff is great !

As for gigging, hardware synths are really losing their edge compared to software instruments.

For me,- no ! Latency !

If you use virtual stuff live, you might use quality dynamics plugs too which introduce hidden "look ahead"-buffers causing increase of latency even your audio drivers buffer settings are as low as possible.

Sorry, I´m picky on any latency.

A.C.

I'm not seeing it on MF's website. According to a post I made over at HC, someone responded that they are out of stock and won't be getting any more. Anybody know of any other outlets that have them and if so, can we still get the $65 off the $399 price since they can't match MF if they don't have any in stock. Just curiuos.

I still haven't received mine yet (ordered 2 weeks ago, from Germany I assume).

Mayhaps I should send NI an email to see whether they actually have any left?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

For me,- no ! Latency !

If you use virtual stuff live, you might use quality dynamics plugs too which introduce hidden "look ahead"-buffers causing increase of latency even your audio drivers buffer settings are as low as possible.

Sorry, I´m picky on any latency.

A.C.

I dunno. When I was in LA, I saw a lot of guys do it. I played Kenneth Crouch's rig, and there was no discernible latency.

Perhaps if you use "look-ahead" dynamics, but I only use those when mixing. In fact, I don't like to play with any dynamic processors/plug-ins at all.

Don't mean to start anything here, but perhaps it's because you run Windows? Latency of Audio IO on iMac is <6ms, but under Bootcamp/XP it nearly doubles to >11ms.

Don't mean to start anything here, but perhaps it's because you run Windows? Latency of Audio IO on iMac is <6ms, but under Bootcamp/XP it nearly doubles to >11ms.

So, under Bootcamp/XP on a Mac it´s a lot more latency compared to Win on a PC.

I got 6ms latency without clicks and pops on a P4 northwood 2.4GHz/400FSB/512 cache already, using XP Home and a RME non DSP Hammerfall card w/ latest ASIO driver, but reported latency by the driver doesn´t mean anything.

It´s just only what I feel if I press keys on a midi keyboard interfaced via USB (or USB midi interface) to a computer, regardless which computer it is.

In a recording/arranging situation, these 6ms are o.k. for me, but if I use a combo of midi triggered hardware- and software instruments, there´s the delay of the virtuals compared to the hardware very obvious always, especially if both sounds have percussive attacks and equal loudness.

Even by using a faster machine, ASIO reporting 3ms of less, this difference exists.

By using software instruments only, it doesn´t matter because all virtual instruments simultaneously in use are affected by the midi in latency and audio driver latency the same way, so it´s a matter of familiarization only.

Regarding the dynamics plugs, I also wouldn´t use ´em if I know they are "look ahead" ones, this was just only a example.

In fact, you always need a host for using virtual instruments in AU/VST format and it depends on the specific instrument and host how fast it responds to realtime midi, also, some instruments offer presets including realtime dynamic FX too.

Les say, I layer a acoustic piano of a hardware keyboard w/ a electric piano patch from NI Elektrik Piano, the e-piano sound is delayed by a very audible factor which is much more than 10ms in real world.

DSP based interface cards, offering their own midi interface and running the instruments on their DSPs show nearly zero latency, not only reported by drivers but also in real and audible.

So, as a ideal, I´d choose a DSP based solution over a native one for gigging because it behaves and sounds very, very much like hardware,- much more than any natively calculated plugin can do.

A.C.

I still haven't received mine yet (ordered 2 weeks ago, from Germany I assume).

Mayhaps I should send NI an email to see whether they actually have any left?

I called NI in Los Angeles yesterday and ordered it; they advised that they were getting more stock in on Tuesday, and it would ship then. Not sure if there'll be enough to get mine after yours gets shipped, Dan. ;)

Archived