Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NI Komplete discounted in July

Aidan

Well, according to UPS, mine was delivered about 2 hours ago. I can't wait to leave work... but then again, that would be the case with or without Komplete waiting for me at home! Like Bobby, I have no experience with NI stuff. But I'd think it's near impossible to not get your money's worth with this type of deal. Even if you hated all 10 of the other products (unlikely), Kontakt alone with it's 33GB library is a huge amount of sound for the money.

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, according to UPS, mine was delivered about 2 hours ago. I can't wait to leave work... but then again, that would be the case with or without Komplete waiting for me at home! Like Bobby, I have no experience with NI stuff. But I'd think it's near impossible to not get your money's worth with this type of deal. Even if you hated all 10 of the other products (unlikely), Kontakt alone with it's 33GB library is a huge amount of sound for the money.

I have 4 of the synths that are in K5 already (Absynth, Pro-53, B4, & Battery, all awesome plugins), and it's still a great deal.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Nice Aidan! Hopefully if Jim doesn't return he's found somewhere nice (BTW, were you sure it was Jim and not Jane? Just wondering).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Kontakt is pretty much worth the price of admission - it's THE sampler anymore, and for good reason. THe other stuff is good too, but Kontakt really is the stuff

I already have Battery. The price drop on Komplete is tempting enough. Then, I read this thread and post. Must resist the NI Kollection. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Nice Aidan! Hopefully if Jim doesn't return he's found somewhere nice (BTW, were you sure it was Jim and not Jane? Just wondering).

(Warning: OT pigeon-related)

Thanks Joe - well, wouldn't you know, he's back this morning, chugging sunflower seeds. He seems to almost be in training, going on longer and longer flights. Perhaps he will eventually home back to his original loft. We're pretty sure it's a he but can't be sure - males are generally bigger and have more feathers at the top of their legs. Just like humans :)

[back on topic...]

Y'know, some of the sounds in these NI instruments are so good that it makes me very tempted to think about laptop live - something I'd never considered before now. Or maybe it's Receptor time. Anyway, lots of food for thought.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Y'know, some of the sounds in these NI instruments are so good that it makes me very tempted to think about laptop live - something I'd never considered before now. Or maybe it's Receptor time. Anyway, lots of food for thought.

I wen to Receptor way and bought 2 Pro with Komplete inside. It's really working well, and messing with sounds is like being in candy store. There really is plenty and plenty very usable and exciting stuff. Though, I wasn't too happy with Acoustik Piano when comparing it with Ivory (six days demoversion was inside Receptor).

I hate such demos. Made me order full Ivory...:)

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

....... (six days demoversion was inside Receptor).

I hate such demos. Made me order full Ivory...:)

Komplete's a great value. I bought it preloaded on Receptor.

There's always an excuse to get something a little better (or soncially different) here and there. Added Ivory and IG. Truepianos. SoundfontIT's VB3 and Linplugs Organ, some Sampletek Rhodes and Scarbees, Rain upright, Schimmel Braunschweig upright, etc.

just a heads up....I installed Komplete 5 and have been messing with the different plug ins...If you plan on using it in ProTools 8, you might want to wait for Komplete 6, as it seems the majority of what comes in komplete 5 is buggy or just doesn't work with ProTools 8 yet.....

Another heads up for those of you thinking of ordering Komplete from NI's website. They are swamped with orders and shipping has been delayed for a lot of folks. I ordered mine on the 3rd, and they still haven't shipped it.

It's been so long, I'm going to try to cancel my order with them and get it through Sweetwater.

GIGO

Wow! Obviously popular, or is it the power of the KC coming into play here? Still enjoying my K5 immensely. It's worth waiting for...

I'm not in position to get this amazing bundle now, but the mention of this deal and Receptor w/Komplete Inside has an idea churning in my head. I've been trying to think of ways to keep our band's equipment list small and the Receptor w/ Komplete might be a good deal for us. It would essentially replace my Nord Modular G2X, which is a nice machine but my bandmate and I can only take turns using it. Receptor can apparently be shared, though it only has 2 audio outputs - I guess we'd have to manage the levels between her and I via host software using Receptor as a plugin. She uses the G2X for some sound effects patches (eerie wind sounds, spooky bells, etc.) and for applying delays and such to her voice. I can't imagine it'd be that hard to transfer that functionality to the Receptor, have it do those sounds/effect for her, and also do guitar/amp modeling and synth parts for me too.

Aidan, like both your clips!

What if I wanted to pick up a used Receptor (Rev B or C) and install Komplete 5 on it? Will it handle it? I'm sure the latest and greatest would handle it better, but just asking. If I was to try to pick up a used Receptor, what are some of the things I should watch out for? I understand that it could be upgraded at some future time to latest specs by Muse, but would a 2 or 4Gb with 160Gb Hard Drive Rev B or C handle Komplete and a few other VSTi's? Seems like a cool way to get your VSTs out with you at half the price of new me thinks. Just curious if anyone has any opinions ...

Aidan ... ditto on the clips ... awesome dude, keep it up!

Kronos 88 | MODX7 | Wavestate | Crave | KeyLab 61 | CPS SSv3 | MacBook Pro | MainStage | Komplete 13U | V Collection 9

Behringer Poly-D | ASM Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roli Seaboard Rise 49 |  Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2, Trillian, & Keyscape | AAS Collection

More VSTs than I'll ever figure out

Thanks for the heads up guys! I picked this up also... I have been wanting to get Kontakt but glad now I hesitated, cause the whole package for less than the price of just Kontakt is too good to pass on.

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

What if I wanted to pick up a used Receptor (Rev B or C) and install Komplete 5 on it? Will it handle it?

The Rev Cs were available with Komplete 4 or 5 preloaded. I purchased one with K4 and got the free upgrade to 5 but haven't loaded Kontakt 3 on Receptor yet.

You may want to check with Muse as to the status of the K5 installer on Rev Cs.

Holy Heck, this thing is 12 DVDS!!!! I am so excited. I don't know where to begin with it all. Right now I am beginning the process of installation. Man. Let me ask you guys from someone who doesn't have as much experience running this many sample libraries:

Where should I put all of this stuff? Should I install it all on a 500 GB hard drive? Should I have it on multiple drives? I only have 2 USB ports on my Macbook and I use one of them for my controller. Is it okay to stream multiple samples off of one USB drive at a time? Yikes!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Bobby, plan an afternoon to install everything - honestly!

I currently have only one external disc with not enough room for the samples so for the moment they all went on my main HD. I realise that's not ideal and plan to get some more externals shortly.

But even so, for what I need, it's fine - all the Akoustik Piano patches play fine even at 150 voices, although I do have a bang up to date iMac and a decent mid-point audio interface (Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40)

Holy Heck, this thing is 12 DVDS!!!! I am so excited. I don't know where to begin with it all. Right now I am beginning the process of installation. Man. Let me ask you guys from someone who doesn't have as much experience running this many sample libraries:

Where should I put all of this stuff? Should I install it all on a 500 GB hard drive? Should I have it on multiple drives? I only have 2 USB ports on my Macbook and I use one of them for my controller. Is it okay to stream multiple samples off of one USB drive at a time? Yikes!

During the installation process, decide to which drive the sample-libraries shall go and you´re fine.

Best is, you have separate drives for system, audiotracks and samples.

If you plan to use multis in Kontakt and articulations, you need a fast samples drive. USB isn´t the best choice then.

If you´re forced to use an external drive because you´re using a notebook, Firewire 800 or eSATA is the best if you have these connections available.

You can try to optimize sample streaming using the DFD settings in all the sample based apps included in K5.

After installation from the DVDs, 1st update Service Center and activate your bundle.

If all plugins show being activated in Service Center, download the latest DFD files and updates for all the plugins, install the updates and activate again.

Run all the plugins in standalone-mode 1st after installation, then try to use the VST /AU and/or RTAS plugs (depending on what you´re using in your host and which types of plugs you selected for the 1st installation).

Some of the installers (also installers of updates) can do weird things to your public VST plugins folder because they create a subfolder named "vstplugins" in this folder in which you´ll find the files then ( this rules for PC ).

On a PC, you´ll find these VST-DLLs duplicated in the Komplete 5 program folder too, so you have to check always where the latest updates went and which versions co-exist in which locations, really annoying and time consuming.

Well, that´s a old issue of NI installers on PC, but there are others on the Mac, so it´s recommended to read the posts of the last 2 years in NI-producer products forum because the content of the DVDs didn´t change during this period of time.

There are some issues w/ sample based instruments presets and samples too, some distorted and clicking samples in the Akustik Pianos at specific velocity values and on specific keys p.ex.- you´ll find some fixes in the forum as well as some optimized presets for AP made by users.

You´ll also find (a) folder(s) filled w/ 16Bit samples in the 24Bit content of AP,- I forgot which these are but it´s true.

Elektrik Piano 1.5 introduces some bugs, maybe caused by the fact, it´s engine isn´t the Kontakt 2 or 3 engine, but Kontakt 1. This rules also for AP.

If you load "Hancock Butterfly" (Mk I suitcase) in EP 1.5 and try to get rid of the reverb in this preset, this won´t work (on a PC) and there are other presets where you cannot adjust the EQ settings. This doesn´t happen in EP before version 1.5.

There is a issue in the Wurly 200A, you can get very loud and weird noise, probably damaging your ears and speakers, with one of the presets at specific velocity value on specific keys.

Some issues which can happen w/ EP and AP engines don´t happen if you load the samples content and presets in Kontakt 3 instead launching EP and/or AP.

And there´s more,- if you defeat 1" drawbar if percussion is used in B4II ( global settings ), this isn´t stored permanently which pisses me off since over 2 years.

The discussion about B4II distortion/overdrive and unevenness in loudness across the keyboard in respect on different drawbar settings is also a very old one,- VB3 is much better.

You cannot freely adjust the PB range in Pro53,- arggghhh !

There are instruments not having a master volume knob which makes ´em hard to use in standalone mode live.

O.k., let´s stop here ...

These issues are confirmed ones and not related to my system, I had several phone calls w/ NI in the last years and I´m using Komplete since the prelaunch edition appeared.

The rare updates of the last 2 years did nothing else than fixing compatibility issues for higher versions of operating systems for PC and Mac, the issues of the plugins are still there because NI doesn´t care.

The Service Center protection scheme is a joke,- I had to re-activate all my NI products because of enlarging my RAM from 1.5 to 2 GB,- but it didn´t work w/ the older plugins from Komplete 3 and 4 like Vocator, Kompakt and Intakt as well as Spectral Delay and needed 2 days of phonecalls, manual activation done by NI and re-installing of plugs from Komplete 4 installation disks.

NI did nothing else than releasing Kore-Soundpacks within the last 2 years and I assume, there will be a Komplete 6 consisting of Kore, Kontakt (including the virtual instruments engines of Komplete 5 and all the KSD presets and samples content of Kore, Kontakt and the Kore-Sampling-/Presetpacks, eventually plus 1 new virtual instrument.

In general, this would be a great package, soundwise, but also a cpu-hungry one. Kore and Kontakt use a lot of cpu, especially if a lot of different engines are in use simultaneously.

A.C.

Al, I already have 4 of the plugs included in K5.

Does the K5 installer allow you to install just the plugs you want, or do I have to remove the existing & re-install the whole shebang?

Yes,- just install the plugs you need from K5 package and keep the old ones to avoid the update procedures for all out of K5.

But sooner or later, you may decide to sell some of these.

So if you plan to do this in very near future, better install all and de-install/un-register the ones you already have,- except you have to keep all these or 1 or 2 to qualify for the purchase of the whole bundle. One of the serial numbers of one of your old products becomes the serial for Komplete then and in my case that was B4 I. (I don´t know if this also rules for this special and limited offer,- ask support).

In this case, also have in mind, not all of the content of Kontakt 2 is in the content of Kontakt 3 and this also rules for Battery 2 and 3 as well as some patches-content of Absynth 2, 3 and 4.

There are some tipps in the forum how to keep all the content without having tons of samples twice on your drive if you deinstall previous versions and libraries and there was someone who did a comparison-list what´s missing and where.

Means, you might like to keep dedicated portions of the old libraries and delete others.

Man, I did all this work and it was a nitemare to find out.

A.C.

Dan, I'm pretty sure there was a "customised" or "advanced" option available when I began the install, which presumably will allow you install just what you need. Be aware that the software registers itself with NI as one package rather than individual plug-ins.

Man, I updated service center even though it seemed to be running fine w/out updating, except that it kept prompting me every 3 seconds to update. So I did, and now it won't work on my Mac OS 10.5.7. GRRRRR. What a great way to take the air out of my tires...now I have to go hunting for a solution.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Archived