Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

software/hardware synth review?

RayMetz100

In the back of the latest issue, I read a review on a synth that had no keyboard, but didn't require a computer either. It came with analog synth and organ modes for around $450 and I think you can add around 5 more synths to it via software for around $150 more. I don't have my magazine handy to get the name of it. anyone know?

I'm looking for a second keyboard. My first was a yamaha CP-33 piano. I love that one and used it for the last year to teach myself piano. I'm not that great, but can teach myself how to play most songs in the key of C with chords on the left hand and the melody on the right. I dont really use sheet music and mostly stick to 2-3 chord major scale songs.

After a little time on the piano, I tried finding a band on Craigslist and ended up on the Bass guitar instead. That was an easy transition to learn 3 chord rock songs by ear. Ive been playing Bass for about 10 practices and enjoy it almost more than the piano. I want a little synth to bring to band practice and explore a little though.

I thought about getting a MicroKorgXL because I like the size and think batteries might be fun on camping trips. But the 3 octave keyboard might not work though. I really like chords and the pedal with my melody. Maybe that will go away once I figure out synth style playing though. I also really like the B3 organ sound and had some cheapo organs in the past that were fun. Thats why I was interested in that software/hardware synth review.

What other ~$500 synths might be good for me to consider?

Thanks,

Ray

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to also mention I do NOT want a software synth that requires a laptop to run. I use computers for work and have the audio interface and have messed with software VSTs and such, but messing with all that feels more like work than play for me. I want something simple to use like my CP33 piano or my bass guitar. I don't want something too technical. something fun and simple would be great. the MicroKorgXL seems easy and fun, except for the keyboard size and lack of sustain pedal.

In the back of the latest issue, I read a review on a synth that had no keyboard, but didn't require a computer either. It came with analog synth and organ modes for around $450 and I think you can add around 5 more synths to it via software for around $150 more. I don't have my magazine handy to get the name of it. anyone know?

Plugiator?

Archived