Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about Kurzweil / Fatar action

FunkKeysStuff

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, we have a string break in 1968. Anything sooner? You used the word ... many, right?

yeah right, Kanker in 68 was jumping on the floor from the carpet...

I find it more accurate to discuss music using musical terms, but maybe that's just me.

yes, it's just you. Playing music has nothing to do with musical terms.

.... discuss being the key word ...

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Back to the OP... my Korg has a Fatar action, and I am rather heavy handed at times, and there's not even been a hint of a problem with the action. Obviously, Fatar has stepped up the quality of their keybeds.

Oh, and DH, nice restraint. :wave:;)

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

It isn't possible to edit a topic title long after the topic has drifted off-course, so I should note that there is some discussion of Fatar action in my post about California dealers for the PC3, as non-Californians otherwise might miss that thread.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Is the durability of modern-day Kurzweil/Fatar actions better than their counterparts from 15 years ago?

Yes.

I demolished about six or seven actions in my PC88 in just a few years. It took me about four years to beat one PC2X action into Fatar Flakes. I'm not sure which Fatar model actions these were.

The TP40L in my PC3X is a different animal. I just started using it on gigs a few weeks ago. After twelve sets in three days, I experienced something I haven't felt in years. A little fatigue. A little sore in the hands and forearms. I'm obviously using some muscle I haven't needed for a while. This probably means it'll get more of a beating than the PC2X.

Based on what Dave has told me about the testing of the TP40L, it should take me a long time to find out for myself exactly how much the reliability has improved. This is something they took very seriously, because some customers took a hissy fit on them about the old stuff.

--wmp

I've systematically destroyed keyboards over time, but that's another matter.

I'm going to remind you of this at the next Richmond meet-up, SK.

There's GOTTA BE a good story or two that comes outta this. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived