Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3LE release is imminent, and details are emerging

Dave Weiser has announced that the PC3LE will not accept expansion ROM's, and that that contributed to getting its price down (though that price has not yet been revealed).

He also says they are almost done with it, and are on schedule for late summer (which of course probably means late September, based on calendar year vs. psychological perception of seasons).

I think I'll probably eventually go for a PC3X at this point, unless the PC3LE is dirt cheap. The drum pads appeal to me as a useful live feature when using a synth for latin percussion parts, but in the studio I'd probably perfer my Korg padKontrol for its mini-Kaoss Pad and other controls.

Still, I think this is likely to be a big seller, as it will definitely at least be cheaper than some mid-range digital pianos and even the upcoming Yamaha S70/S90 XS, but I doubt they'd cannibalise their own sales by making it close to the price of the SP2/SP3 series.

So my own guess is going to be around $1600-1700 street. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My recollection is that it is coming out in all three sizes. I forget whether the smaller sizes will be weighted or not.

Dave Weiser confirmed earlier that it will use the same keybed (Fatar FP40L) as the PC3X -- although that doesn't mean that isn't still subject to change, as sometimes last-minute changes do have to be made when prices of parts fluctuate.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

My recollection is that it is coming out in all three sizes.

You're right. From: http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/NewsStory.php?id=16

"Three choices for keyboard action will be offered - 88-note hammer weighted, 76-note semi-weighted and 61-note semi-weighted."

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

I took one look at the finalized front panel (looking more for what was NOT there) even before Dave's answer to the added ROMs, and decided that I wanted to go with buying the PC3 for gigging, even though I already had the PC3X. I have had no cause to regret that decision. A few hundred dollars lower price over the useful lifetime of the keyboard - I'd rather have the full capability on both.

Besides, I can work out any added patches, QA banks, setups, whatever on the PC3X that is almost always setup in my studio, then copy to a xD card. My PC3 is usually packed on the cart with the other stuff ready for loadin. Plug the xD card in and in less than 5 minutes - the settings and programs are the same on both boards.

I had never really used the QA banks on my 2661 until I started using them with the PC3. Now - it is really nice to be able to set up both boards for any of the longer productions that we do in church and have all the setups and patches in order easily accessible. The two boards do complement each other well.

I do hope that the LE series does sell well - any added revenue coming in speeds up the next generation and the next high-end board that will replace the 2600 series.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Dave Weiser has announced that the PC3LE will not accept expansion ROM's, and that that contributed to getting its price down (though that price has not yet been revealed).

So much for getting some new pianos in there.

:snax:

Hi from Kurz R&D!.

Great forum, we all read it daily at the office.

Big shout out to SF and DB!

I usually just lurk, but thought this would be a good time to post since it'll be the most efficient way to get info about the LE to you guys.

The initial post on this thread is correct - the LE will not have the hardware slot to accept ROM options. This is one of a few cost-saving measures we took to keep the price down.

We are currently on track for release in September.

Some general info:

For actions, we'll have an 88-note weighted (Fatar TP40L), 76-note semi-weighted and 61-note semi-weighted (both Fatar TP8). From now on we're going to try to use the semi-weighted for all pro 61-note boards as it is more forgiving for playing piano sounds.

The LE will have KB3, VA oscillators, and 99% of the PC3's sound set. The synth engine and sample playback mechanisms are virtually the same as the PC3's. The main difference will be in the amount of resources the LE has. The LE will have 64 voices of polyphony (the PC3 has 128) and will have 10 "units" worth of effects (the PC3 has 16 plus a master effects section).

A few of the PC3 programs/effects that use a ton of resources, like the Leslie effects that use over 10 units, will be scaled back, but these differences should be minimal.

The LE will allow minimal editing, done via entry values for controllers. It'll have 5 knobs with a three-tiered shift button, allowing for 15 knob assignments per program. We're adding assignments for these in the sound set right now. Any parameter that a user would most likely want to tweak, like filter freq, or distortion drive, will be assigned to a knob. You'll be able to move the knob and capture and save the value without even having to hit Edit.

In addition to the knobs, the LE will have 6 assignable switches. Again, we'll try to assign useful parameters to these.

We expanded the Info feature on the LE to include what we call "reverse info". Move a knob and the display will tell you which MIDI # controller is being moved, it'll give you the updated value in real time, and will display the parameter to which it's assigned, like "Distortion Drive" or "Filter Resonance".

I had very much wanted this feature to be included in the PC3, but it just wasn't possible at the time. I'm still waiting to find out if we can add this feature to the PC3 in the future at some point.

The LE's setup mode and QA mode that will be basically identical to what's in the PC3 and K series.

Riffs, 16 independent arpeggiators, pattern sequencers (for pitches and velocities) will be included, just as they are on the PC3.

We finally got USB Master capabilities up and running... which means you'll be able to plug a thumb drive into the LE!

I'm 90% certain that there will be a desktop editor for the LE from SoundTower, the company that developed the PC editor. I'll post when I have more info on this.

At this point it looks like we'll be releasing the 61-note version first (perfect to go above your PC3x in the rig!). I'm not sure which will follow after that, but I'll post when I find out.

And the best news of all... the LE with most definitely have the PC3 series signature MOOSE!

One bit of bad news, and this will doubtless break the hearts of many of you... the LE will not be equipped with the piercingly bright blue death-ray that's made the PC3 so easy to identify (from miles away or outer space). The bright blue light had been part of the PC3's xD card kit, which is not needed for the LE now that we have thumb-drive capability.

I'll post again when I have more info on things like pricing, features, exact release date, etc.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave, and "welcome" to the forum!

(Though if you've been reading it as you say, you already saw all the shout outs you and Kurz got in that thread about good manufacturers. Nice job!)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A quick snip, a bit o' solder, and a brand new red led has completely disguised mine.

Welcome Dave!

the piercingly bright blue death-ray that's made the PC3 so easy to identify (from miles away or outer space). The bright blue light.......

Cheers, Dave

Dave, thanks so much for giving us the details on the PC3 LE.

I just hope my job holds out so I can buy either an LE or X this autumn or winter. I have a feeling a new computer will have to take precedence, as my G4 PPC iMac is on its last legs. I may go for a used/refurb or Mini, just to be able to afford the PC3!

A quick snip, a bit o' solder, and a brand new red led has completely disguised mine.

Welcome Dave!

the piercingly bright blue death-ray that's made the PC3 so easy to identify (from miles away or outer space). The bright blue light.......

Cheers, Dave

On mine, I removed the end cap and gently bent the led's up and down so their focal points were above and below the blue plastic card surround. Now it has a soft glow to it.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Archived