Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

K5000R Macro Controller

Mike Martin

Anyone else here have one of these:

http://www.crazyarts.de/studio/ctrl.jpg

I have a K5000R and the controller. I was going to spend some time with this it this weekend and after hooking it up, I noticed on the controller that the green LED that is supposed to light when you turn a knob wasn't lighting up. So I opened it up and changed the batteries. No change with the green LED.

Stupidly I spent so much time messing with it that I never hooked up to see if it was actually transmitting anything. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else here has one to tell me how it is supposed to work.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're awfully hard to find. I finally sold my K5000r after giving up on finding the controller box or the keyboard version, and after being satisfied with Camel Audio's updated and enhanced software version of the famous hardware additive synthesizer.

I tried to get my E-Mu Command Station (the one that was stolen) to serve as a controller for it, but I found it very difficult to repurpose that device as a controller for anything else, in spite of its wealth of knobs. If it hadn't been stolen, I might have had more time to figure out how to reassign its MIDI CC's. If anyone else here knows the score, they might chime in on whether it makes a good substitute controller for the K5000r.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

I actually got it working. I don't really understand the purpose of the green battery LED on the Macro controller.

Next question - is there a way to globally turn OFF the effects on the K5000R? I haven't found a way to do it. The K5000R is a very unique sounding box. I tried a demo of Cameleon 5000 but it didn't wow me - after getting the K5000R working with the controller bypassing effects on a few patches and running it through my Kurzweil KSP8 it was gorgeous sounding.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

It's always important to be aware of one's signal path limitations when testing software plug-ins. You wouldn't believe how much better (and worse) different VI's started sounding after I upgraded to RME Fireface 800 a couple of years ago.

At any rate, hardware with knobs is always more fun. My used K5000r didn't have the greatest output quality, but I definitely loved the concept of the synth and had I found a controller, would have felt comfortable using it as more than a preset box (I did experiment some, but it was cumbersome on-screen).

Anyway, glad you got your controller box working. The K5000 will probably remain unique, as there isn't likely to be a market for new hardware additive synths. After all, their original claim to fame was that they would do a better job of emulating natural instruments than subtractive synthesis. There isn't much call for non-sample based hardware these days, except for pianos.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

Archived