Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Apparently they go in 4s...RIP Billy Mays

davio

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They brought this up on NPR today and I first just heard a recording of his spiel about soap or whatever. I quickly interjected to my wife, "I hate that guy," and the next thing I know the calm/soothing NPR voice goes, "Billy Mays died today of unknown complications." Woops... :-/ I can't say that it could possibly matter to anyone how I feel about him but I did feel a bit awkward for a second or two. Made me rethink randomly saying "I hate" about anyone, if anything.

Stranger than that little coincidence though was the time that I woke up to a radio ad about James Brown coming to Branson. Still asleep, I replied, "James Brown is dead." He was officially reported dead within the next 24 hours--I think it wasn't until the next morning.

RIP to all who pass out of life, Billy Mays and James Brown and anyone else.

He wasn't too bad he could at least laugh at himself a little. He did the DC snowboards commercial infomercial style. It was funny, but only on the extreme sports channel. The peole on youtube that did the dubs over his commercials were hilarious.
"there ain't no faux mojo" jcadmus

Many of our brave men have died in the Middle East in recent years and apart from their families, it seems as if no one knows their names.

There is someone about 20 miles from me who puts another white cross on a hillside each time another life is lost over there. It is visible from the freeway (Highway 24) and is a chilling sight.

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/03/05/ba_crosses05007cag.jpg

Rest in peace, all of you.

He wasn't too bad he could at least laugh at himself a little. He did the DC snowboards commercial infomercial style. It was funny, but only on the extreme sports channel. The peole on youtube that did the dubs over his commercials were hilarious.

He did a bunch of commercials for ESPN that were goofing on his infomercial stuff.

Many of our brave men have died in the Middle East in recent years and apart from their families, it seems as if no one knows their names.

There is someone about 20 miles from me who puts another white cross on a hillside each time another life is lost over there. It is visible from the freeway (Highway 24) and is a chilling sight.

Jeremy, I am going to be coming through the bay area this July on a family business trip to Sacramento... is that any where along the way by chance? I'd like to see that hillside.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I can't say that it could possibly matter to anyone how I feel about him but I did feel a bit awkward for a second or two. Made me rethink randomly saying "I hate" about anyone, if anything.

Not to stir anything up but ... Love 'em in life, love 'em in death ... and vice versa. Him dying shouldn't change how you feel / felt about him, in my opinion.

That said, no clue who the guy was.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I can't say that it could possibly matter to anyone how I feel about him but I did feel a bit awkward for a second or two. Made me rethink randomly saying "I hate" about anyone, if anything.

Not to stir anything up but ... Love 'em in life, love 'em in death ... and vice versa. Him dying shouldn't change how you feel / felt about him, in my opinion.

That said, no clue who the guy was.

You didn't miss much. He was a really, really loud mouth tv commercial huckster. I couldn't stand listening to him.

Yeah what you guys said.

I enjoyed the guy. But I also enjoy Bobcat Goldthwait, Gilbert Gottfried and Chris Rock...all people that have made considerable livings from being annoying on camera.

I guess what I was getting at was that, aside from celebrities who were famous before doing infomercials (I mean you Chuck Norris), nobody made a name for themselves in that arena before Billy Mays came along. The man was good at what he did which was making you remember what he was selling.

That is all.

I enjoyed the guy. But I also enjoy Bobcat Goldthwait, Gilbert Gottfried and Chris Rock...all people that have made considerable livings from being annoying on camera.

Me too. Yikes! I'm agreeing with davio.

He did what he did really well and it is an art that is almost dead.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Amen.

And nice job by that guy. Regardless of whether he's doing it in tribute to the fallen or protest of the war or both, at least he's recognizing.

Push the button Frank.

There is a reality show (began in April 09) on the Discovery Channel called "Pitchmen" featuring Billy Mays and Anthony Sullivan, the two infomercial giants.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/pitchmen/about/about.html

Yeah Rizz right after Mythbusters. I guess that's the end of that show although I've never watched it. I too at times thought he was annoying and most of those products were junk. Still it's kind of sad.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Pity about Billy Mays, but the greatest pitchman of them all died a couple years ago already, a man who was also the greatest newscaster of them all: Paul Harvey.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived