Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Career Advice from "Doonesbury"

Chad Thorne

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read that one in the comics this morning. Pretty funny. They aren't lying though. I wanted to go see Clapton and Winwood on their tour.....after being learned by Jeremy....but the tix were almost 3 bills a piece.

How do you sign a computer screen?

As ticket prices go higher, the nuber of "must-see" artists decreases, especially because I usually have a 5 hour round trip to and from the DC/MD area for a lot of the touring venues.

I'd rather see 3 $50 shows than 1 $150 show.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

It's nice to see Trudeau commenting on music using fresh characters rather than Jimmy Thudpucker.

The worst part of high ticket prices is they're seldom available at face value, having been snapped up by speculators.

d=halfnote

It's nice to see Trudeau commenting on music using fresh characters rather than Jimmy Thudpucker.

The worst part of high ticket prices is they're seldom available at face value, having been snapped up by speculators.

My quick tale of triumph over scalpers. LAst year I went to see Rush in Atlantic City. The best tickeyts were sold out, but there were still tickets. Too scalpers hit me and my buddy up to buy their tickets, at about $50 over face value. Just as we were haggling, Rush starts playing. We turned to the scalpers and said,"Every note they play, the value goes down". We wound up buying the tix at about $50 UNDER face value. Great seats, great show, and more money in our pockets for beer.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

My quick tale of triumph over scalpers. LAst year I went to see Rush in Atlantic City. The best tickeyts were sold out, but there were still tickets. Too scalpers hit me and my buddy up to buy their tickets, at about $50 over face value. Just as we were haggling, Rush starts playing. We turned to the scalpers and said,"Every note they play, the value goes down". We wound up buying the tix at about $50 UNDER face value. Great seats, great show, and more money in our pockets for beer.

Very smart, way to turn it around.

Years ago before I'd ever even made it to my first Tool show (they used to be, and in some ways still are, my favorite group of artists), I don't remember how many times Ticketmaster looked away as scalpers gobbled up ALL of the tickets offered to any of their shows. It took me four years of trying to finally get a good ticket and see them. For some reason I've never had the problem with any other groups.

Scalpers are my friends - like Bottom End said you just have to miss a bit of the start.

I've been to plenty of Chicago Cub baseball games, Bulls baskethball and Blackhawk hockey games and I doubt I ever paid face value - they become worthless pieces of paper pretty quickly and the scalpers know it.

I never tried with Da Bears tho - they're too popular. Never tried with a concert either.

Re: scalping, etc.

It doesn't happen dependably & usually occurs in smaller markets but sometimes venues & promoters hold tickets for friends-of-band, etc.

If unclaimed by performance date these are offered for sale at face value. I found out about this when I once misplaced a ticket, called the venue to see if/how I could get in.

d=halfnote

Re: scalping, etc.

It doesn't happen dependably & usually occurs in smaller markets but sometimes venues & promoters hold tickets for friends-of-band, etc.

If unclaimed by performance date these are offered for sale at face value. I found out about this when I once misplaced a ticket, called the venue to see if/how I could get in.

Yeah I heard about this from the husband of a colleague. He (the husband) used to do security for tons of bands and venues and said there's usually still tickets at the door, whether it says "sold out" or not. Haven't tried it out myself, though.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived