Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: YouTube weirdness

Synthoid

I was looking through my YouTube favorites the other day and found a few with the heading "video unavailable". One of those vids was the Eagles song, "Try and Love Again."

What seems weird to me is... why was just that music vid deleted and so many other Eagles music vids untouched? Is this common? Why just one video by a band would suddenly vanish (with no reason), while the rest of their stuff stays on YouTube is a mystery to me.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was looking through my YouTube favorites the other day and found a few with the heading "video unavailable". One of those vids was the Eagles song, "Try and Love Again."

What seems weird to me is... why was just that music vid deleted and so many other Eagles music vids untouched? Is this common? Why just one video by a band would suddenly vanish (with no reason), while the rest of their stuff stays on YouTube is a mystery to me.

Some possibilities:

1) The user might have deleted the video.

2) Youtube might have deleted the user account.

3) Youtube is in the midst of cleaning out all Eagles videos, and that's the first deletion that you've seen (although Mark is right, there is always a notification that the video was removed because of copyright claim, so that's likely not the reason).

4) It's an Illuminati conspiracy to replace the videos that YOU are looking for with bad singers with no sense of time or melody to drive you to purchase the "Hell Freezes Over" tour DVD. Don Henley is most obviously a high-ranking member of the society... ;)

Well the original version was on the "Hotel California" album. I had that ages ago and it got ruined. Didn't feel like buying it again, so it was nice to listen on YouTube. Oh well...
When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Buy the single from iTunes. You can afford the $0.99, I'm sure. :)

This, by the way, is another example of how YouTube screws musicians like you and me. They profit through the content they make available, but refuse to pay artists royalties for plays of their music. If they would just act like a radio station, all artists would be more than happy to have their content available for free playback.

3) Youtube is in the midst of cleaning out all Eagles videos, and that's the first deletion that you've seen (although Mark is right, there is always a notification that the video was removed because of copyright claim, so that's likely not the reason).

4) It's an Illuminati conspiracy to replace the videos that YOU are looking for with bad singers with no sense of time or melody to drive you to purchase the "Hell Freezes Over" tour DVD. Don Henley is most obviously a high-ranking member of the society... ;)

I think number 4 is the most likely one. They even changed my name when I wasn't looking. :D

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Buy the single from iTunes. You can afford the $0.99, I'm sure. :)

This, by the way, is another example of how YouTube screws musicians like you and me. They profit through the content they make available, but refuse to pay artists royalties for plays of their music. If they would just act like a radio station, all artists would be more than happy to have their content available for free playback.

True that! I just read in the ASCAP newsletter how they are doing everything in their power to get online sites like that to have to pay for the privilege of making money off other's copyrighted music. Let's hope they win.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

My understanding is that copyright holders have several options open to them when infringing material is found. One of the options is to "monetize" the video, which I gather means they get advertising revenue from it. YouTube supplies a tool to help identify infringing videos.

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=83766

"What kinds of usage policies are there?

There are three usage policies -- Block, Track or Monetize. If a rights owner specifies a Block policy, the video will not be viewable on YouTube. If the rights owner specifies a Track policy, the video will continue to be made available on YouTube and the rights owner will receive information about the video, such as how many views it receives. For a Monetize policy, the video will continue to be available on YouTube and ads will appear in conjunction with the video. The policies can be region-specific, so a content owner can allow a particular piece of material in one country and block the material in another."

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

My understanding is that copyright holders have several options open to them when infringing material is found. One of the options is to "monetize" the video, which I gather means they get advertising revenue from it.

That isn't quite correct. Part of the problem is that in efforts to stem lawsuits, compensation arrangements have been set up on an individual basis rather than defining a standard as there has been in radio. One of my musical idols, Neil Young, wrote extensively about it. Here's a copy/paste from his essay on the topic:

Warner Reprise records was one of the very first to embrace YouTube. YouTube was in its fledgling stages when Warner made an early deal to work with them. Today, other labels have made more lucrative deals for their artists at YouTube.

So YouTube is the new radio.....but not quite.

Radio used to introduce music to the masses and was crucial to every new release, with identical compensation for every artist and label. Since YouTube has given some labels better deals that others, the Media Giant is treating artists unequally, depending on which label they are on.

Today's web world has created a new way. Artists today can go directly to the people. There is nothing standing between the artists and their audience. Freedom of expression reigns. People today feel that they should be able to get all the music and art that they want, from the artists who they appreciate. When that conduit is broken, the connection is weakened.

If all artists were compensated equally, and the people decided who had the hits and misses by virtue of number of downloads and plays, there could be no grounds for disagreement that would cause the facilitator of the art to break the conduit between an artist and an audience. That is what has happened to Warner Bros artists caught in YouTube's web. YouTube has a responsibility to respect the artists it facilitates and resist punishing them to make a business point.

It is time for industry wide standards of artist's compensation on the web.

Reprise and Warner Bros artists deserve what artists from other labels are getting. Let the people decide what constitutes success. Warner Bros and Reprise are looking for a level playing field. Until they get one, these problems may not go away. That is the essence of the issue between Warner Bros Reprise and YouTube.

- Neil Young

Archived