Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Farrah Fawcett died today as well

GDP

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no one can say a bad word about her, a real sweetheart and her battle with cancer is such a sad story.... :(

Totally agree. For those of us who were transitioning from boyhood to manhood at the time of "the poster," Farrah will forever hold a place in our hearts. RIP.

Noah

I think it's long overdue that America increases funding for finding a cure for cancer. 1 in 4 Americans will develop some form of cancer during their lifetime. Finding a cure should be one of our nation's top priorities. Nixon coined the phrase "The War On Cancer" and it seems to have been pretty much forgotten. I think this is partly due to a lack of awareness among the general public, thus allowing politicians to ignore it.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The smile that started a sensation.

Farrah, Michael Jackson, David Carradine, Ed McMahon - it's been a tough couple of weeks icons of the 70's.

Heartfelt condolences to their families, friends, and associates.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I think it's long overdue that America increases funding for finding a cure for cancer. 1 in 4 Americans will develop some form of cancer during their lifetime. Finding a cure should be one of our nation's top priorities. Nixon coined the phrase "The War On Cancer" and it seems to have been pretty much forgotten. I think this is partly due to a lack of awareness among the general public, thus allowing politicians to ignore it.

...nice thought.

But-it's my belief that government is the last place to look to for a cure.

Ms. Fawcett fought a difficult battle she never asked for, and did so with

as much grace and dignity as she could muster.

RIP...

By Jazz+:

I think it's long overdue that America increases funding for finding a cure for cancer. 1 in 4 Americans will develop some form of cancer during their lifetime. Finding a cure should be one of our nation's top priorities.

I don't know anything about the medical profession or scientific research, but one thing about "cancer" is that is not just one disease. There are similarities in how it comes about on a cell level. The body keeps making new cells where they are not needed, their is no "off" switch in the reproduction. The cells are either malignant or benign, and the ones that are malignant are the root of the problem. From my rudiment understanding of how this transpires (my doctor tried to explain it to me one time, and of course he lost me) its a problem on a chromosome level and unfortunately comes with us via birth. "Curing cancer" is not an easy task.

There was something on the news the other day that medical science has come up with a new drug that stops the growth of the "bad" cells, while leaving "good" cells alone. Not sure how it works but the results of tests they have done on people show a 50% improvement in survival rate of people that have tested this drug compared to those with the same form of cancer that did not take the drug. We still have a long way to go.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

How well I remember Charlie's Angels and that famous poster. I was in High School then, and Farrah was every guy's dream girl. I'll bet every other guy had a copy of it inside his locker, even though the principal forbade it.

And speaking of famous cancer fighters, isn't Patrick Swayze also in a major battle with cancer right now?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

Curing cancer is certainly a priority, but the sad thing about Farrah's death is that she had a type of cancer that would have been caught early and easily cured if she had undergone basic screening tests. If you are approaching 50 or have a family history of colon cancer, you should be getting a colonoscopy.

We all remember that poster well, but what really jump-started my hormones was Adrienne Barbeau in the swimming competition on "Battle of the Network Stars."

Marzzz:

So did she die of Colon Cancer?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

no one can say a bad word about her, a real sweetheart and her battle with cancer is such a sad story.... :(

Totally agree. For those of us who were transitioning from boyhood to manhood at the time of "the poster," Farrah will forever hold a place in our hearts. RIP.

Noah

I can't believe nobody has posted "THE POSTER"...

http://graneyandthepig.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/farrahfawcettposter.jpg

You're welcome. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I still have that poster, in mint condition. Well, almost. :rawk:

Mike T.

I posted that poster in Craig Anderton's forum. Anyway, of course, I had it on my wall as a kid. RIP Farrah Fawcett.

Wiki:

Obama-Biden Plan to Combat Cancer

During their 2008 U.S. presidential campaign then Senators Barack Obama and Joe Biden published a plan to combat cancer that entailed doubling "federal funding for cancer research within 5 years, focusing on NIH and NCI" as well as working "with Congress to increase funding for the Food and Drug Administration." Their plan would provide additional funding for:

research on rare cancers and those without effective treatment options,

the study of health disparities and evaluation of possible interventions,

and efforts to better understand genetic factors that can impact cancer onset and outcomes.

President Obama's economic stimulus package includes $10 billion for the NIH, which funds much of the cancer research in the U.S., and he has pledged to increase federal funding for cancer research by a third for the next two years as part of a drive to find "a cure for cancer in our time." In a message published in the July 2009 issue of Harper's Bazaar, President Obama described his mother's battle with ovarian cancer and, noting the additional funding his administration has slated for cancer research, stated: "Now is the time to commit ourselves to waging a war against cancer as aggressive as the war cancer wages against us."

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Since 1971 the United States has invested $200 billion (= $5 billion per year) on cancer research; that total includes money invested by public and private sectors and foundations. I say we need to spend far more on cancer research. Obama is making only a modest increase in funding. We put a man on the moon and we can't do more to beat cancer?

Sometimes it takes someone in power to have experienced the tragedy of cancer in their own family before it dawns on someone how terrible cancer is; it is a very painful way to die in most cases. The entire family suffers. I'm all for Obama's program, or any President that is willing to put out the $$$ to save lives, even though economically this may not be the best time to do so.

"We put a man on the moon and we can't do more to beat cancer?"

This analogy is pretty jaded. It was far easier to "put a man on the moon" than it is to beat cancer. Did you ever see the movie Apollo 13? A space shot is a lot less scientific than getting to the bottom of what "causes cancer".

Mike T.

It's never the right time economically. 1 out every 4 Americans will get some form of cancer. The odds of an American being killed by a terrorist are around 1 in 100,000. Yet only $1 of Federal spending goes towards finding treatments for cancer for every $100 we spend on fighting "The War On Terror". Are these priorities/ratios reasonable? Why are we not making "The War On Cancer" a greater priority?

While a young tyke, Farrah Fawcett was definitely a 70s star I remember watching on TV. Her battle is done. RIP. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

We all remember that poster well, but what really jump-started my hormones was Adrienne Barbeau...

+1000 :thu: I hadn't heard that name in years but the hormones kicked back in instantly when I read it. Farrah was nice but Adrienne did it for me! And don't get me started about Lola Falana...http://www.aardvarkmastering.com/lnoel/lolafalana.jpg

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Since we are paying homage to beautiful ladies of the 70s, let's just put all cards on the table:

http://www.poster.net/grier-pam/grier-pam-photo-xl-pam-grier-6227775.jpg

Farrah was in great company. Further proof that I 'grew up' in the 'wrong' decade. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Since we are paying homage to beautiful ladies of the 70s, let's just put all cards on the table:

Farrah was in great company. Further proof that I 'grew up' in the 'wrong' decade. :cool:

Nah, the women are just as lovely now. The only difference is less "big hair". :)

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

[quote=MonksDream

Nah, the women are just as lovely now. The only difference is less "big hair". :)

And more tattoo's :rolleyes:

SK2 /w Mini Vent / XK3 Pro System /w 142 Leslie, Roland D70, Korg SP250 B3 1959 (retired) , Porta B (retired), XB2 (retired)

Wow! She looks like she could really toss someone around the room. Thanks for sharing!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Noah

I can't believe nobody has posted "THE POSTER"...

http://graneyandthepig.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/farrahfawcettposter.jpg

You're welcome. :)

I had that poster. It always seem to make me master of my own domain. :D

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

.....The only difference is less "big hair". :)

And more tattoo's :rolleyes:

and more plastic

And the problem is?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived