Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My first experience with Jean-Michel Jarre

MAJUSCULE

Well. At the behest of those beautiful pictures from his In Doors tour, I borrowed the Equinoxe album from my library. I have no idea if this is one of his better or worse albums, but it's genius. Even for me, being more into jazz and not really having been initiated to synths enough, it's beautiful.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oxygene and Equinoxe are true masterpieces. tho Magnetic Fields, and its own special (fairlight) way Zoolok, don't fall much behind.

i bought all the vinyls back then, but only in recent yrs got the cd remasters little by little.. been re-living it recently.. especially after i saw him live this last fall., in Slovenia. They were playing complete Oxygene plus one track from Concerts in China, with more or less, all original instruments. Memorymoog, CS-80 and JP8 replaced some of the polyphonic lines.

http://en.jeanmicheljarre.es/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/2432950335_a4f1242cbd.jpg

This year he expanded the repertoire to other albums (Greatest Hits "In Doors" tour), and changed the setup accordingly, like adding Elka Synthex in order to play some tracks from Rendez Vous. i've heard he even has that laser harp system for triggering the Synthex. adn Blk orange ARP2600 is replaced by Macbeth M5.

hope he comes somewhere near with this tour.

all i can say is, after playing on playback for 25 yrs (since concerts in China), i salute the guy, for going with the full analog full live show, at the age of 60.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

all i can say is, after playing on playback for 25 yrs (since concerts in China), i salute the guy, for going with the full analog full live show, at the age of 60.

Well, in the age of 60 and after such a career and millions of record sales worldwide, you can do everything,- be it figuring around w/ malfunctioning synths going out of tune or failing during show in front of a sold out house.

He simply doesn´t have to fear to get fired, even he has/had his desasters on stage.

JMJ might have skills as a programmer of synths and sequencers in the studio and during his OWN production process and also as a composer (matter of taste) but I doubt he has real skills as a player,- that´s why he did playback (big Protools project)live for decades.

What he´s doing now, for me, is just only going on the road w/ a synth museum to do "something new",- marketing.

I doesn´t make the music better.

A.C.

Oxygene and Equinoxe are true masterpieces. tho Magnetic Fields, and its own special (fairlight) way Zoolok, don't fall much behind.
Yeah, my wife bought Oxygene and Zoolook when they came out. Around that time she was also into Laurie Anderson, Tangerine Dream and some others I can't remember. With everything on vinyl and the record player on the fritz we haven't heard that stuff in a while.

I certainly wouldn't mind taking in a JMJ concert.

Well. At the behest of those beautiful pictures from his In Doors tour, I borrowed the Equinoxe album from my library. I have no idea if this is one of his better or worse albums, but it's genius. Even for me, being more into jazz and not really having been initiated to synths enough, it's beautiful.

Its even more beautiful when you consider WHEN it was recorded and take into account the technology of the time. He exploited everything to the max!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

And speaking of sound tracks, does any one know which Tom Cruise movie used some tracks from Tangerine Dream?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

Risky Business ... when the porsche is coming home from the shop ... it's a great scene. :thu:

Right. But even better...the train scence!

Archived