Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeremy C in BP

Phil W

I'm going to probably look foolish now as I've not been hear much recently - been at work stuff, playing and at Iran protests in London. So there's probably already a thread on this but....

Jeremy is in August BP. I thought when I saw Matt Freeman on the cover he might mention his lessons with Jeremy and indeed he does. Personally I've never heard Rancid but I appreciate the credit he gives to Jeremy and to Carol King's music (the bass playing on which influenced me too)

Quote:

"Growing up I had a great bass teacher named Jeremy Cohen - he still teaches in Berkeley and plays all over the place. He was great at homing in on the fundamentals."

The editor notes: 'Find frequent posts by said "jeremy c" on BP's Low Down Lowdown forum at bassplayer.com'

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice job, JeremyC. No one teaches because they want a mention in a magazine some day, but it's nice when it happens - and to such a deserving guy.

I don't subscribe anymore but I'll have to check it out next time I'm at the store.

Personally I've never heard Rancid...

Check out "And Out Come The Wolves", particularly the opening track "Maxwell Murder". Even if you're not into punk you can't help but be very impressed by the bass playing.

Go JC!

Alex

P.S. Phil, good blog!

Nice bass playing in that link!

Thanks for the comment about my blog Alex!

Might as well post a link to my official Musicians Union webpage:

Lessons by Jeremy

Of course, that info is already on my webpage. :thu:

So far all I've received is one piece of scam email about lessons. :eek:

I don't know how Phil saw the article already. I just got the July issue last week. I've always wondered why I seem to get the magazine after everyone else even though I only live about 30 miles from the BP offices.

Jeremy, you should keep track of the number of calls for lessons and see if they increase over the next couple of months.

I was thinking along similar lines. Maybe an increase in the hourly rate is in order...KaChing.... (Spell check does not like KaChing. Or Chewbubba. Stoopid spell check)

Congrats, JC!

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I don't know how Phil saw the article already. I just got the July issue last week. I've always wondered why I seem to get the magazine after everyone else even though I only live about 30 miles from the BP offices.

I used to get the magazine way after you guys, recently I've been getting it earlier - they must be using a different shipping company or something. It arrived Tuesday.

Hello, Doctor!

Excellent news for Jeremy!

Matt Freeman is a one of a kind talent, jaw dropping chops, it's not just his speed at playing punk, but that he plays fast and hits the right notes.

I'd almost call the way he supports Rancid's songs "lead bass" in the way that Klaus Flouride did with teh Dead Kennedys.

I know he backed Social Distortion on a tour a few years ago, who else has he played with?

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Thinking about it, I do seem to have had August's issue about a month early. Maybe it's that trip I took in that police phone box?

You left your metal dog over here.

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

Too cool. You'll have to sign my copy next time you're out here, JC. :)

The few Rancid tunes I've heard haven't really impressed me. But then again, I've probably only heard then as background music in the car or somesuch. I'll have to give them a closer listen. I've been saying that for a while now...

This thread has inspired me to spend some money and FINALLY get the "... and out come the wolves" album by Rancid that for some reason I always wanted to buy, but never did.

Matt Freeman's bass lines are interesting, innovative, melodic and fit in with the music perfectly. It's worth listening to for the simple reason that most punk bassists would probably have stuck to root notes.

At first listen his choices of notes are "logical" but what do I know. Stuff like this tends to really surprise you once you start learning the lines ...

Time to dig out that transcription of "Maxwell Murders" and start wood shedding :) Get both my reading and bass chops up a notch. "Lock, Step & Gone" has some nice bass interludes / soli à la "My Generation" too, by the way ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived