Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommend A Soft Drum/Synth for 80s Drum Sounds

b3keys

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most awesome one ever is Waldorf Attack. I've used just about every software and hardware drum source there is from the past twenty years, and this one is the one that really nails ALL of the famous drum machines.

Attack is ultra-cheap as part of the $79 bundle with the also-excellent PPG Wave and the special Waldorf Filter plug-in. Nova Musik tends to bundle it for free with certain pucrhases.

I use Attack more than any other soft synth. It literally covers all of my analog and digital drum needs, including Linndrum and Simmons Drums.

For gated drums, however, I turn to Native Instruments Battery and/or use a gate effect on one of Attack's sounds (or an acoustic kit in some cases, mostly B.F.D. 2.1 at this point).

I do not recommend Battery for analog drum machines. It's passable, but not very organic or expressive compared to the very lively Attack. Also, since Attack isn't sampled but uses analog modeling, you can pitch each and every oscillator, like on the original TR808 etc., to get the sound YOU need for each song vs. the same sound (or a poor derived re-pitched sound) on each song, like with sample-based solutions such as Battery.

Where Battery shines is in special effects like reverse gated cymbal, other gated drums, scratch effects, special effects, etc.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The most awesome one ever is Waldorf Attack. I've used just about every software and hardware drum source there is from the past twenty years, and this one is the one that really nails ALL of the famous drum machines.

I just realised I HAVE Waldorf Attack... I just haven't used it yet. I didn't think it was any good. :crazy:

Thanks for the responses! I also own the Waldorf Attack and guess I need to spend some more time with it, too!

Logic, VST, EXS all apply to what formats I have available.

You guys may not be aware that Waldorf Attack has two separate preset menus. The "obvious" one is full of trash. The good presets are in a separate menu. I can't do this from memory, of course. It might be a "Load" button, but it's slightly to the right of the drop-down preset list, most of which suck.

Of course you are free to make your own sounds. :-) Most people stick with presets, I guess. I do both, but likewise didn't see the power in this plug-in until I discovered the OTHER menu, with all of the emulating kits for TR808, CR78, SDS-6, etc. And of course the manual should be read! Otherwise you might not learn how to sync it to your song's key (OSC detune etc.).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived