Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who'da thunk a music festival would cost me a guitar....

RumpleCragstan

Gah, I gotta come and rant.

This past weekend, there was a music festival/rave a ways out of town... me and my ladyfriend as well as 2 of our friends went out to it. Our car broke down about halfway there, and as we were out of cell range and thus had no way to get it back to town, caught a ride with a passing DJ and proceeded to have an amazing time. Rustic Robot was amazing, and I got some amazing photos of my buddies' band. Easily one of the best nights of my life.

However, the next day proved to be one of the worst. The car we caught a ride out with wound up getting caught in a terrible storm and we ended up landing upside down at the bottom of a 20ft ravine in the forest (nobody was seriously injured, the worst that happened was a cracked rib on one of us, but she's healing fine). After crawling up the muddy embankment and catching a ride in the back of a pickup truck (with nothing but a tarp to keep us out of the storm), we passed our previously aforementioned abandoned car.... which has now been pushed into the ditch, with 2 windows smashed and all of our stuff gone.

All my CDs, my cell phone, and my PRS SE.

You'd think that people driving that far out of town to come to an event that's based WHOLLY on the enjoyment of music would have some compassion for a musician, but apparently not. I've spoken to the pawn shops and music stored in the area and I'm reporting it to the police tomorrow, but I really don't expect to ever get her back.

Its a shame when something like this happens, isn't it? At least all of us survived the accident though... I'm very thankful for that, and in the end everything that was lost is indeed replaceable in one way or another.

But still... it really stings that someone who claims to appreciate music and musicians would act like that....

Yep, I play the gee-tar

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to read that! The hypocrisy and idiocy of some people astounds me. Here's to a speedy return of your guitar, unharmed, and hopefully the rest of your stuff, as well. Does your (or whoever's) insurance cover any of it?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Sorry to hear that. As much as you think music fans would respect a musician, a lot of times it turns out to be musician on musician crime. There was a well known punk band from Boston back in the late 80's that was notorious for stealing gear from the bands that played the gigs with them.

If they took your cell phone it can be traced or tracked. Make sure you report it to your carrier. If someone makes a call on it the cell phone company can tell you who they are calling, and if they try to get the phone switched over the store can grab them.

Kinda reminds me of how an "Earth Day Festival" near here left behind an incredible amount of littered garbage and damages for other people to clean up...

...You'd think that people driving that far out of town to come to an event that's based WHOLLY on the enjoyment of music would have some compassion for a musician...
:rolleyes:

Now you know why so many entertainers wind up shunning their fans.

The truth is that many people at entertainment events have no interest in the entertainment itself, let alone the reality of the individuals providing it. Take a look at films or other accounts of any large-scale event.

One of my fondest memories of my youth is waiting overnight in line to buy tickets to a George Harrison concert; there were actually people carrying weapons to defend their place in line!

Granted, this was Detroit but, still, fans of Harrison?

Anywhat, as you already know it could've been worse.

d=halfnote

Sorry man, that really sucks.

I've always fantasized about catching a gear thief and clipping off their fingers one by one with pruning shears. Never happen but one can always dream.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

A good friend of mine and his band were doin' the load-out after a gig one night a couple of years ago; he had set down his Vox AC30 on the sidewalk to help a bandmate out with something for a moment, and somebody ran past him, grabbed the amp, and began to run away.

I say began, because he got a few yards away before he started to falter and hunch-over, favoring the side that he was carrying the amp on; he staggered painfully a few more steps, sat the amp down, and lurched and hobbled away as fast as he could manage, holding his side and muttering about how @%#$%#&*^ heavy that damned thing was!

My friend was shocked to such hysterics that he could only laugh as the would-be thief escaped, doubtless in need of a good chiropractor! :D

Write a song about it...

You could call it, "There Aren't Enough Swear Words"... !! :D:thu:

"Words fail;

so does jail.

Maybe some scumbags out on bail

Took my guit-tar, tunes, and stuff

And as if that weren't enough

trashed my car, broke all the glass

If you see 'em, kick their @$$..."

Good news guys! My guitar hasn't left town!

I got a call yesterday from one of the music stores in town, saying that they'd just had 2 guys (whose descriptions they took down) come in and ask for a price on a guitar that matched the description I'd given them. They didn't seem to know a thing about guitars, because they didn't even seem to have a vague idea of what it might be worth. Since they didn't have the guitar on-hand, the music store guys didn't really do anything other than call me, but they *did* refer the guys to the other music store in town... because that one is a PRS dealer and would have more accurate information.

They havn't stopped in at the aforementioned second shop yet, but I've gotten the word out to every music store and pawn shop to give me a call if these 2 guys come with the guitar.

My friends, things are a' lookin' up!

Yep, I play the gee-tar

They didn't think to have the guys bring it in ?!

Maybe they wanted to steay out of any legal action but they could've easily trumped up a reason to, say , hold the guitar for evaluation, etc. :whistle:

Hope it does come back.

d=halfnote

Wish they could have got a license plate number...all my wishes are with you for a safe return...maybe offer a reward, no questions asked in the local paper??? good luck...
Take care, Larryz

I hope the locals grab 'em, and the law takes 'em down, and they get a speedy trial(preferably followed by a first-class hanging :mad: ) so your stuff doesn't wind up sitting in the evidence room of the local police dept. for a gazillion years waiting on the legal system to get it's act together...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Sorry about your bad luck. I learned a long time ago that if they can see it, they can steal it. I keep stuff in the trunk. Chances are they won't break into a trunk to see if there's anything there to steal.

Sorry about your bad luck. I learned a long time ago that if they can see it, they can steal it. I keep stuff in the trunk. Chances are they won't break into a trunk to see if there's anything there to steal.

Unfortunately, I had the same logic as you and it still got stolen... I hid it in the trunk, underneath a blanket. Sometimes people are just determined to take everything they can, because the damn blanket was stolen too!

Yep, I play the gee-tar

I hid it in the trunk, underneath a blanket. Sometimes people are just determined to take everything they can, because the damn blanket was stolen too!

Maybe they sat around a campfire, wrapped up in the blanket, playing "Kumbaya" on your guitar...

I hid it in the trunk, underneath a blanket. Sometimes people are just determined to take everything they can, because the damn blanket was stolen too!

Maybe they sat around a campfire, wrapped up in the blanket, playing "Kumbaya" on your guitar...

If that was the case, I'd still be pissed, but a bit less so... if luck has it that I never get it back, I'd rather that she went to a good home like that!

Yep, I play the gee-tar

• 2 weeks later...

Good News!

A possibly crime-breaking tip came from an unlikely source; my girlfriend's ex-boyfriend. She mentioned it to him while picking up her son from a weekend visit, and apparently a guy he knows (but doesn't especially like) tried to sell it to him just a few days ago.

I'm sending him photos of my guitar and he's going to double-check that its the right one. If it is, he's going to give us the address for us to pass on to the RCMP.

Lets hope things turn out as clean as things look~!

Yep, I play the gee-tar

A possibly crime-breaking tip came from an unlikely source; my girlfriend's ex-boyfriend. She mentioned it to him while picking up her son from a weekend visit, and apparently a guy he knows (but doesn't especially like) tried to sell it to him just a few days ago.

OH, MAAAN!! What are the odds?! I mean, that this crook tried to sell it to someone who is even so tenuously connected to you? That's too funny!

I really, really hope that it is your guitar, and that you get it back (and even some of your other stuff) in fine condition.

Hey, pass my little song there along to your girlfriend's Ex, as well as the RCMP! :thu::D

Yeah, I think I'm gonna call the song 'Rough Day' and just generally have it focus on all the stuff that went wrong... I'll have your section as the verse about that part of the day!

The only section I wrote so far for it is the chorus, which I think is actually pretty good considering how tired I was when I wrote it!

Cuz you know we had a real rough day~~~~

Not a moment went by, that was even OK

Yeah you know we had a real rough day~~~~

It just blows my mind that we're even alive

What chu guys think?

Hah, and its rather ironic that I got the tip about the guitar when I did... because I had just picked up a PRS SE Singlecut the day before as a replacement! Ah well, never too many guitars!

Yep, I play the gee-tar

Yeah, I think I'm gonna call the song 'Rough Day' and just generally have it focus on all the stuff that went wrong... I'll have your section as the verse about that part of the day!

The only section I wrote so far for it is the chorus, which I think is actually pretty good considering how tired I was when I wrote it!

Cuz you know we had a real rough day~~~~

Not a moment went by, that was even OK

Yeah you know we had a real rough day~~~~

It just blows my mind that we're even alive

What chu guys think?

I like that! :cool:

Hah, and its rather ironic that I got the tip about the guitar when I did... because I had just picked up a PRS SE Singlecut the day before as a replacement! Ah well, never too many guitars!

Nope, never too many! :D:thu:

dude sorry for your luck.ome guitars stolen out of my trunk. a year later

my best friend found 1 of them in a guitar store 90 miles away.

which lead to finding the other one. both guitars where recovered. A Les Paul and a G&L asat.

don't give up the faith

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

But still... it really stings that someone who claims to appreciate music and musicians would act like that....

Truth be told I am very sorry for your loss.

However what comes to my mind would be; whatever the event was I was going to, I would not have left the car and instruments to go to it. I would never leave my car or guitars/amps alone. I would have the car towed and rent a vehicle from nearby and get the instruments to safety before going on with my plans.

Archived