Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The ultimate fusion power trio...

picker

I was just sitting after reading the 6 string bass thread, and the comment about Jaco only needing four strings, it it got me thinking how cool it would have been to hear Jaco and Jimi just cut loose together. It made wonder who would be the right drummerin that band. He/she/it would have to be able not only to to nail the groove down, but really rip right along with those two going at full force.

I thought first of Lenny White(been listening to a lot of old RTF lately), then Billy Cobham(more than held his own with McLaughlin back in the day), Ginger Baker(a really crazed time whiz in his own way), and Terry Bozzio(plays like a wild animal with timing subdivided down to the millisecond), and I wondered if anybody had other candidates they think would beat the rest our for that chair.

Whaddaya say? Who would make Jaco & Jimi really get up and wail?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, very cool Jeremy! Trio of Doom indeed!

Yes Neil isn't dead but I don't think Terry Bosio is either.

Karen's voice is lovely but I don't think of her and fusion drumming. Hmm there is always Mitch Mitchell. I'd say Keith Moon but I don't think it would work.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

There is a recording somewhere of Jaco Pastorius, Tony Williams, and John McLaughlin.

It's called the Trio of Doom.

Check it out, it might float your boat.

According to Jaco's biography, Jaco ruined the only gig they ever did by completely abandoning the stuff they'd rehearsed, cranking the fuzz on his Acoustic 360s up, and blasting away like a 7th grader on speed. As they were walking off the stage, McLaughlin told Jaco, who thought he'd really played something groundbreaking with them, that he'd ruined the gig, and he was so mad that he didn't want to see his face for at least a week. Tony Williams came close to punching Jaco out over it.

I'll pass on the Trio Of Doom. They were probably doomed from the start...

IIRC, Billy Cox and Jimmy were Army buddies who'd also played the Nashville/Memphis clubs while they were stationed nearby.

According to Wiki, Noel Redding was the one who left Jimi, not vice versa. Redding wanted to get back to playing guitar.

IN any case, the Band of Gypsy's album is one of my favorites.

Imagine

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Hate to stray off topic but I still don't get the whole Jaco thing. What's the big deal about a guy playing guitar licks on bass? They make fretless guitars ya know.

*picks up sauce and brush*

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

It's cool not to admire Jaco - don't worry. I do admire him and he has moved me more than anyother bass player. Counterwise there's plenty of other famous bassists that leave me cold.

Back to subject: Mitch Mitchell? He has single-handedly ruined just about every important recording that Jimi made, IMHO, please don't let him ruin anything else.

You would need a monster to keep up and therefore I would suggest Omar Hakim.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Hate to stray off topic but I still don't get the whole Jaco thing. What's the big deal about a guy playing guitar licks on bass? They make fretless guitars ya know.

*picks up sauce and brush*

I know you are partially poking fun, but I've come under similar comments lately. Been a four-string, basic groove player my whole life. Lately, I've been going in a different direction in my music. Got a 5-string and tuned it E-C and have started learning how to do the chord/melody thing. All the folks who know me keep asking, "Why don't you just take up guitar?" My only reply is, "I'm a bassist." But I don't see why I must define who I am as a bassist by someone else's 50 year old concept of what "bassist" means.

Sorry to pull the thread off topic; I just needed a shoulder. :)

The groove is in the spaces.

Both comments are fair. Sure why should you be constrained by that outdated view. I play drums and bass in a worship band. A new bassist has joined and so I tend to play drums far more now. This bassist has an incredible ear. Never looks at the music he just moves his hand to the 12th fret plus and plays a melody.

A friend said isn't he a great bassist. She could see I was struggling to reply. Finally I said - he's an amazing musician not a great bassist. A great bassist would know what to play at the appropriate time. He wasn't. He never grooves with the drummer he just launches off into his own world of melody. Quite impressive but not what the song demands.

So, whatever you do - you still need to play within context. It's the groove that pulls me to play drums and bass. I love melody too and for that I love the fretless but also other instruments.

Peace

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I'm cool with that. I play in a variety of groups/projects. In one, a southern/classic rock band, I stick to the Fender four-banger and lock in with the drums--that's what the music calls for. Just because I've decided to expand my definition of bassist doesn't mean I've decided to abandon the original definition completely.

And, to bring the conversation somewhat back around, Jaco could also lock in with a basic groove and do straight-ahead jazz walking lines with no problem. He just got his biggest fame doing the other stuff.

And, to get totally back on topic, I would vote for Max Roach. Yeah, not as well known in the rock world, but could totally push Jaco and Jimi in a very cool direction.

The groove is in the spaces.

There is a recording somewhere of Jaco Pastorius, Tony Williams, and John McLaughlin.

It's called the Trio of Doom.

Check it out, it might float your boat.

WORST. RECORD. EVER.

I found a copy for $9 and bought it. Gave it a listen. There's 30 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. My copy's for sale now.

I didn't enjoy the cd either, but I thought that the original poster, who wanted to create a supergroup of mismatched players might like it.

As far as losing minutes of your life, I have to learn a Grateful Dead song, Touch of Grey, for an upcoming gig. The bandleader liked my idea of creating a mashup with it and "I will survive" by Gloria Gaynor.

Let's not get into Jaco bashing. As Louis Armstrong once didn't say (even though many people have attributed this quote to him),

"If you don't understand it, don't mess with it"

edit: I think someone earlier than Louis said that, maybe Fats Waller.

Fats Waller supposedly said, "Madame, if you don't know by know, don't mess with it" although he may have used a common vulgarity instead of the word mess. Or maybe he didn't say it.

Anyway, it's a good quote.

Jaco could play all the sh*t he played because his groove and time were so strong. He also played in groups in which he was given the freedom to play that way. And perhaps he got too used to playing that way and couldn't go back to the groove style, the way he played on Come on, come on over. His mental illness might have had something to do with as well. I'm guessing that's why he played inappropriately on the Trio of Doom recording (which was never intended to be released because of his inappropriate playing).

If there were no innovators, we'd all still be playing oompah oompah.

http://www.prestigioushomesflatfeeservices.net/images/ompa%20lumpa%20menbbb.jpg

gratuitous picture of oompa loompas

I don't know that I would call Jaco the end-all-and-be-all of bass playing, and I didn't intend to. But, I would love to hear what he, Hendrix and a great drummer would do together.

I like the suggestion of Omar Hakim. Amazing player.

Speaking of John McLaughlin (at least I was), the ultimate fusion power trio already has existed.

It could have been the Tony Williams Lifetime with Tony on drums, Larry Young on organ, and McLaughlin on guitar on the album, Emergency. His next album had Jack Bruce on bass, but then it was no longer a trio.

Or how about Allan Holdsworth with Jeff Berlin and Chad Wackerman on the album, Road Games.

Check out John Scofield with Gary Grainger and Dennis Chambers on the album Blue Matter. This is one of my all-time favorites recordings, and I don't allow many recordings onto that list. They also played together on Loud Jazz and Pick Hits Live with a keyboardist.

Then there is of course Tribal Tech, Gary Willis on bass and Scott Henderson on guitar, but they were usually a quartet.

We don't need to imagine a new group, there is enough out there already to listen to. Most supergroups crashed and burned shortly after forming anyway.

Well, if you're going to have Jimi play fusion (not saying he couldn't), I'll vote for John Bonham on drums. Not because he was an amazing fusion drummer. More because he was an unstoppable force.

Jaco, Jimi and John. That could have been interesting. Just to see what became of it.

As far as the Trio of Doom I thought that there were bits on the CD that were kind of cool and there might have been something if Jaco was in the right frame of mind. Neat concept, bad timing.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Tony Franklin tells a story about the time, during his time with The Firm, he took Jimmy Page to a club in downtown Manhattan to see his idol Jaco Pastorious play. Tony introduced the two before the show and Jaco quickly called Pagey up on stage. The two played for hours with the crowds approval.

It might've been a total wank-off but Tony swears it was amazing. I wish there was footage...

Push the button Frank.

Or how about Allan Holdsworth with Jeff Berlin and Chad Wackerman on the album, Road Games.

Gotta love a drummer with "wack" in his name...

Archived