Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the silliest song with the hardest rocking guitar ?

d  halfnote

Here's my nomination:

Leslie West showing what he can do with a sailor's hornpipe...

"Nantucket Sleighride"

original (if you're on a time budget, dial ahead to 3 minute mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aPCJzYr12Y

live

(Jimi-style/featuring what seem to be the sounds of actual whale slaughter)

Your nominee?

d=halfnote

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

, by the MC5, anyone?

I always thought that Led Zeppelin's cover of "Since I've Been Lovin' You" was waaay melodramatically overdone, to the point of being hysterical (and I'm a huge Led Zeppelin fan)...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Not sure it's "hardest rocking" but "Ballroom Blitz" by, uh, yeah, whatstheir name, always cracked me up :)

Yeah, that's pretty silly and rocking!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Not sure it's "hardest rocking" but "Ballroom Blitz" by, uh, yeah, whatstheir name, always cracked me up :)

That would be The Sweet. That and "AC/DC" are about the only good songs they ever had. :D

The "hardest rocking guitar" thing is what's throwing me off. Lotta mentions of some stuff that really doesn't "rock hard" but is really impressive technically...

So, I'll offer two suggestions:

1) "Song #2" by Blur. Goofy song, riff slams. Nothing technically impressive about it though, so...

[video:youtube]

2) "Hocus Pocus" - originally by Focus, very tasty cover by Helloween. Totally goofy song, some good hard riffing, and some very rockin' solo work on both versions.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U

(edit)

Oh yes, and then there's Iron Maiden's rendition....

Those Chinn/Chapman songs written for Sweet such as Ballroom Blitz, Wig Wam Bam and Little Willy were goofy as hell, but the stuff they wrote themselves later on like Fox On The Run, Action, and Love Is Like Oxygen are good tunes.

My old band used to dust off a cover of Fox On The Run to close our set now and again.

:thu:

Those Chinn/Chapman songs written for Sweet such as Ballroom Blitz, Wig Wam Bam and Little Willy were goofy as hell, but the stuff they wrote themselves later on like Fox On The Run, Action, and Love Is Like Oxygen are good tunes.

My old band used to dust off a cover of Fox On The Run to close our set now and again.

Did those have anything approaching what West unleashes in "Nantucket Sleighride"?

Of those mentioned the only one I recall is "Little Willie" which was not even up to Slade.

d=halfnote

Good call Changeling! I had forgotten about those songs :)

Thanks for the memory refresh; I'll have to go have a Youtube flashback!

ROFL...too funny...what key is Love like Oxygen sung in? Man, that's high? (NOTE: I'm NOT a singer)

I'm not sure what key it's in, I think the main chords are E, A, C, F, G but it may have had a Dm somewhere in the bridge. Some of those harmony vocals were sky-high. I know that they were purposely writing songs out of Brian Connolly's range at that point to try to force him out of the band. I think I can actually hit them, I haven't tried in a long time.

Did those have anything approaching what West unleashes in "Nantucket Sleighride"?

Of thos mentioned the only one I recall is "Little Willie" which was not even up to Slade.

I don't think so. I was just replying to the post regarding Ballroom Blitz. Early Sweet = goofy, later Sweet = good.

2) "Hocus Pocus" - originally by Focus, very tasty cover by Helloween. Totally goofy song, some good hard riffing, and some very rockin' solo work on both versions.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U

I've loved this song practically all my life!!! IMO it is the winner of this thread. Watching the video had me rolling on the floor. I'm amazed out how the rest of the band plays with straight faces as the lead singer does his thing.. yodeling, whistling, flute playing, falsetto... amazing!!!

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Archived