Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keycomb help.

retrokeys

After reading the thread on Hammond actions, I decided to take the advice of replacing the upstop and downstop felts. What a difference. Since the decline in feel is gradual over time, it is amazing what a difference this repair can make. Of course, now that this is done, I have noticed some key clacking on the upper manual cause by worn keycombs. Is there an inexpensive solution to this? All I have read seems to suggests that replacement is the only option, and a pricey one at that. Further, there are no new assemblies. Apparently you have to get some that have come from parted out organs. Anybody got a better way? Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, the cheapest solution seems to be to buy a couple of Hammond spinets and cannibalize them.

This assumes that you can vouch for the shape of the keycombs first on said spinets, and that you are not offended by the solution.

I suppose if you value your money a lot more than your time, you could look into drilling out all the steel rivets in the existing combs, and replacing the felts.

Moe

---

After rereading the original post, I should point out that keycombs have 2 sets of felts:

1. the individual riveted piece of felt on each spline. This is what I was talking about above, and is what keeps the key from moving side to side.

2. the long continuous strip of felt that cushions the bottoming out of the sharp keys. This piece just slides off the pins that position it, and I have revitalized mine by simply reversing them - putting the worn side on the bottom.

Moe

---

Many thanks..This is sort of what I was afraid of. Since each manual has five assemblies, the re-felting option, if somebody else does it, looks like it runs into money. Drilling out and replacing them could be an option albeit sort of a pain in the butt. I was envisioning some sort of sleeve arrangement that would sip over the worn felts on that part of the spline. Looks like I may have to invent something. If I do and it works I'll certainly post. I think we all are going to face this problem sooner of later and there can't be enough spinets around for the cannibal feast.. Keep those hints coming.

Well. I think I may have found an answer...shrink insulation tubing in the half inch diameter. Cut about a half inch length and slip it over the angled end of the keycomb...felt and all. Apply heat. Be careful with the keys so you don't melt them. I used a hair drier and it worked fine. If the key sticks because there is not enough play side to side, pinch the comb with some pliers or use an emory board to thin it down a bit. Just don't sand through the tube that you just shrunk on. I don't know how long this is going to last but it has the advantage of being a non-destructive way of quieting things down and it keeps the organ in commission rather than having to send parts out. Cheap too. I think if this type of plastic bushing had been around when these things were being built that is probably what would have been used. I'll keep an eye on things and if I have any problems down the road, I'll be sure to post.

tubing

tubing 2

Sorry about this roundabout way of getting to them. The first picture shows a length of the tube insulation used. Merely clip of about a half an inch and place it around the comb (felt,rivet, and all) and shrink it. Picture 2 shows the completed installation.

Archived