Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2nd bass question - updated

SteveC

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The good thing is I don't NEED to get anything right now. I love my Yamaha and it's covering all my gigs. I just think that down the road sometime it would be nice to have a 2nd bass around. As I get older, my hands seem to be happier with a smaller neck, so I think a 4 string will be my next bass - probably a jazz of some kind.

Let me pick one out for you Steve. It will be under $550 and will sound great. Just let me know whether you like the tone warmer or brighter. I'll surprise you. :thu:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

There's a 1991 MIM Jazz, Sunburst, rosewood, 250K pots, no major battle scars for $375 at The Blue Guitar music store in Columbia, Mo. Nice warm tone on that one.

There's also a 2006 MIM Jazz, Olympic White, rosewood with that bright, 'burpy' Jazz sound for $520 at said store. I'd have them both if I could swing it.

www.themojoroots.com

I think when/if I get a 2nd bass it will be a passive, 4-string jazz.

1. I used to play them all the time and they were some of my best sounding basses - and gigs.

2. A Jazz is similar to my current bass - but still different. I could probably pick up either and bring to a gig and still have the same basic sound, just some subtle differences that probably only I would notice, care about or want.

3. Nice small, thin neck. Good for my hands.

4. Modifications are easy and options are plentiful.

5. You can't really go wrong with a Jazz bass at most any gig or session.

No to try and find some to play. Not many available locally.

No to try and find some to play. Not many available locally.

I'm just sayin'. :grin:

Dude, you know I just bought another bass, and all this talk of getting a new Jazz bass has made me want the aforementioned Jazz with the nice warm tone. I went to the store and played it today. For some reason it sounded sweeter than ever. I SHALL HAVE IT- if he keeps it long enough.

www.themojoroots.com

Steve, just FYI what is your price range?

There are a few pretty nice J's down here...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I'm sure I will. With my history I guess I deserve that.

I have decided after a lot of playing the last couple weeks that I like a "jazz" type sound and feel. The P's are nice but not my thing. I also eliminated the Sterling. Too "zingy?" for me.

I played a MIA Jazz (Black/Rosewood/Black Guard )with the S1 switch at the store. It felt nice, sounded good - like a jazz. Not convinced about the S1 thing, but I don't have to engage it or I could just replace it with stock pots. It's been there for a while so I hope between that, the Fender $100 rebate on MIA models and the upcoming sale of the Ibanez I never used (I know, I deserve any comments about that whole thing) that I can get this bass for a good price.

We'll see. My car also needs a little work.

Archived