Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ie 8 warning

Even if you do not use IE on the computer, it is so deeply integrated with the operating system that any security patches from Microsoft should be applied. IE6 is still getting security updates because Windows 2000 is still being supported (and IE7 or 8 won't run on W2000). Once MS stops doing security updates on W2000, I'd recommend (if you are still using that computer) updating to IE8 - even if you use Firefox all the time. I have both on the system I'm using.

(computer networking is my main source of income). We've been running into malware problems at some of my client sites that are getting really nasty to remove - the worst ones don't announce themselves by making the computer do stupid things - they run silently so they can steal information longer.

Jim

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Incantation"... I like that! ;):thu::D Just razzin' ya; gotta admit that it's funny! (And if you meant to type that, it's clever and I'm a rube!)

OK, IE 6 was the last incarceration that was installed on that particular PC

LOL! Looks like spell checker got you as well!

The word both of us were going for, before spell checker kicked in, was incarnation. I must have left out a letter and when it corrected it with the wrong word, I must have not noticed...

Anyway...

It's best to have the security patches installed for IE anyway, as Moodyblueskeys said.

(Would ya be upset if I told ya, truthfully, that I meant to type "incarceration", just deploying my smart-@$$, wonko humor?)

As for IE iterations and updates, thanks for the information, guys! I'll apply that.

FWIW, I'm (still!) running XP (Home Edition or somethin'rother?) on my old Frankenstein, and Vista is what the laptop's running.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

(Would ya be upset if I told ya, truthfully, that I meant to type "incarceration", just deploying my smart-@$$, wonko humor?)

As for IE iterations and updates, thanks for the information, guys! I'll apply that.

FWIW, I'm (still!) running XP (Home Edition or somethin'rother?) on my old Frankenstein, and Vista is what the laptop's running.

LOL! Well, spell checker was what got me.

Nothing wrong with XP. If you haven't already, I'd would seriously consider upgrading to SP3. Service pack 3 contains all of the updates and upgrades you need and it's free.

Well...I think that may be a question of perspective and how one defines "wrong".

Sure, sometimes an organization may get stuck into using something for the wrong reasons...but then, when very, very large organizations spends million on software apps, I'm sure there was some thought that went into thatand that their upper level SysAdmins have deeper concerns than what gets kicked around on a music player forum, AFA application security/compatibility/reliability...etcgoes.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Well...I think that may be a question of perspective and how one defines "wrong".

Sure, sometimes an organization may get stuck into using something for the wrong reasons...but then, when very, very large organizations spends million on software apps, I'm sure there was some thought that went into thatand that their upper level SysAdmins have deeper concerns than what gets kicked around on a music player forum, AFA application security/compatibility/reliability...etcgoes.

Griff is right on this. FF is a far superior browser to IE. Lately, IE has been trying to imitate FF to add some of it's "bells and whistles", but unless they strip it and start over, it just is never going to cut it, regardless of the intended usage.

Superior for what exactly...?

I'm mean...does everyone here really understand every/all IT requirements/concerns of every organization out there, including some of the military/government orgs?

It think there is a bit of absolutism being tossed about WRT which browser is "THE" browser to use. :grin:

Personally...I don't care about "bells-n-whistles" in a browser.

That's like worrying about which door looks the best decorated on X-Mas day...when the really party is inside. ;)

IOW...from my perspective, a browser is JUST a door. Once I get to the website Im interested in...why do I care what browser I'm using?

Of course, they would want you to make their browser your one-stop application for all your computing needs, so they load it up with bells-n-whistles.

I agree with everything that you said. Prior to IE being bundled with Windows, I used another commercial option which was, at the time, 'the best'.

So many people have tried to get me interested in various browsers, and so I ended up trying a few on the strength of the people recommending them, and I invariably come back to IE, because it has been all that I need for a browser.

To steal a phrase, "Iron" is that and less. It is way faster than any other browser that I have used, and the way in which it uses tab browsing works for me. I love the tab with the last six sites as thumbnails and your recent bookmarks on it.

anyway, like all those bores that tried to convert me, I'll try to convert you. Check out Iron. Hot shit, no pain, great for the minimalist browser user like me.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

The tabbed browsing is something they got from FireFox.

Firefox has been shown to be faster then IE, more secure then IE and overall a better browser.

You can tell me that governments use this or that, but the proof is in the pudding. Firefox beats it every time. In fact, tests between FF3.1, IE8 and a few of the other browsers, puts IE8, dead last. This isn't speculation, but fact.

From Tech Radar's Firefox vs Chrome vs IE8. They made it a choice between Chrome and Firefox:

TechRadar's final verdict

WINNER: FIREFOX, JUST

None of these browsers is finished, but we've found them stable and useful enough to use as everyday browsers. So which one should be on your machine?

IE8 is the first to fall. It's a vast improvement over IE7 and has some nice touches, but it's too hungry and too slow compared to its rivals (if you can get it to install in the first place. We're still trying to get it onto our laptop). If your machine isn't blessed with lots of RAM and a speedy processor, it's going to annoy you.

The choice between Firefox and Chrome is tougher. For web applications, Chrome is clearly faster - although Firefox's new JavaScript engine isn't far behind it - and its tab management means it should be more stable. Then again there's no ad-blocking, extensions or RSS, and you'll either love or hate its Fisher-Price interface.

For now, we're sticking with Firefox. For all its flaws, it's still the most expandable and customisable of the three, it doesn't look like Baby's First Browser and the ability to block in-page annoyances without having to muck around with proxies more than makes up for the odd crash. Give Chrome extensions, ad-blocking and skins, though, and we may well change our minds.

I dunno...we've been running IE7 for what...like a couple of years now...?

I never had it crash or heard anyone of our 120 end users in my immediate IT area complain about it crashing (and believe me, this bunch complains about the smallest stuff). It's as fast as my Internet connection allows...and does what it's supposed to (it lets us browse websites).

Not really sure what's "bad" about it?

I think one must also separate the more typical home computing focus from critical computer use.

So yeah, when our upper Information Assurance administrators ban or refuse to authorize the use of some app until it's been fully tested and for running on an extremely security conscious networkwell, no hard feelings, but I'll take their decisions/perspectives over anything were kicking around here. :)

You must have the ability to test against hundreds of other apps and multiple scenarios with systems that are being used simultaneously by thousands of end-users, while all the time maintaining security at a critical level.

From Tech Radar's Firefox vs Chrome vs IE8. They made it a choice between Chrome and Firefox:

WINNER: FIREFOX, JUST...

Yesh, but did not Chrome come in tops at PC World? I guess that everyone has an opinion.

Me? I don't really like any of them. and I'm waiting for the bloom to wear off on ow a feel about Iron. But so far, I'm liking it.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

WINNER: FIREFOX, JUST...

Yesh, but did not Chrome come in tops at PC World? I guess that everyone has an opinion.

Me? I don't really like any of them. and I'm waiting for the bloom to wear off on ow a feel about Iron. But so far, I'm liking it.

Chrome came in top spot, but that was before the release of Firefox's 3.1. That saw Firefox move into top spot. Either way, IE finished last.

I dunno...we've been running IE7 for what...like a couple of years now...?

I never had it crash or heard anyone of our 120 end users in my immediate IT area complain about it crashing (and believe me, this bunch complains about the smallest stuff). It's as fast as my Internet connection allows...and does what it's supposed to (it lets us browse websites).

Not really sure what's "bad" about it?

I think one must also separate the more typical home computing focus from critical computer use.

So yeah, when our upper Information Assurance administrators ban or refuse to authorize the use of some app until it's been fully tested and for running on an extremely security conscious networkwell, no hard feelings, but I'll take their decisions/perspectives over anything were kicking around here. :)

You must have the ability to test against hundreds of other apps and multiple scenarios with systems that are being used simultaneously by thousands of end-users, while all the time maintaining security at a critical level.

The tests were preformed. The results were in. The application of the browser really has no bearing on the results. That's like saying that a car, driven by a government official, goes faster then if the same car is driven by a normal person and then adding that the normal person isn't qualified to understand why...

" That's like saying that a car, driven by a government official, goes faster then if the same car is driven by a normal person and then adding that the normal person isn't qualified to understand why...

_________________________"

Funny you should say that.. our govenor is regularly clocked at excessive speeds on the highway.. the answer is simple... because no one will give him a ticket! (g)

Yeah, I agree that when something is definitively better, even if you don't understand why, it usually pays to adopt it. In the case of browsers, (much as with DAWs), look and feel play into it, as does personal taste. When I tried Firefox (many many years ago) I didn't care for the look and feel, I didn't see a reason to learn a new software to do something that I was already doing to the limits of my needs and expectations perfectly well with the software that I had. I've occasionally looked back, and usually because someone like yourself has touted Firefox or Opera or whatever, and because I respect their point of view I've checked it out again. Nothing in the experience made me want to change.

My trial of IE8 pissed me off a lot, and after I blitzed it from my system, I considered Chrome. Then I found out about the whole 'phone home' thing, making Chrome a non-starter in my eyes.

Have you looked at Iron?

Steve Martin

The tests were preformed. The results were in. The application of the browser really has no bearing on the results. That's like saying that a car, driven by a government official, goes faster then if the same car is driven by a normal person and then adding that the normal person isn't qualified to understand why...

Tests by whom?

And no...I'm not really saying what you are saying.

What I am saying is that typical home computer use or limited-scope business use does not reflect/consider the same criteria and security levels as found in some critical computing environments.

If you think it does (what I gather from your metaphor)...your are seriously mistaken.

Unless you work in those critical type of computing environments...you really can't say how things are done and what type of usage and issues are considered vital or not.

Point I'm making is that youre viewing IT from a blanket/global perspectiveand while there are many apps/issues that DO affect all computer usersthere are also those that the average user never considers or encounters.

It really isnt a level playing field when it comes to computer systems and usage.

Damn, guitars rock! And how 'bout dem tube-amps? ;)

This thread is on its own event-horizon; it'll never end, so long as it doesn't slip out of 'site in its own gravity-well...

Tests by whom?

And no...I'm not really saying what you are saying.

What I am saying is that typical home computer use or limited-scope business use does not reflect/consider the same criteria and security levels as found in some critical computing environments.

If you think it does (what I gather from your metaphor)...your are seriously mistaken.

Unless you work in those critical type of computing environments...you really can't say how things are done and what type of usage and issues are considered vital or not.

Point I'm making is that youre viewing IT from a blanket/global perspectiveand while there are many apps/issues that DO affect all computer usersthere are also those that the average user never considers or encounters.

It really isnt a level playing field when it comes to computer systems and usage.

I'm speaking from a programmer's level. You know...the guys who write the software. You may think that the level of the end user is more important then the knowledge of the folks who made the software, but I assure you that you would be sorely mistaken.

" That's like saying that a car, driven by a government official, goes faster then if the same car is driven by a normal person and then adding that the normal person isn't qualified to understand why...

_________________________"

Funny you should say that.. our govenor is regularly clocked at excessive speeds on the highway.. the answer is simple... because no one will give him a ticket! (g)

Yeah, I agree that when something is definitively better, even if you don't understand why, it usually pays to adopt it. In the case of browsers, (much as with DAWs), look and feel play into it, as does personal taste. When I tried Firefox (many many years ago) I didn't care for the look and feel, I didn't see a reason to learn a new software to do something that I was already doing to the limits of my needs and expectations perfectly well with the software that I had. I've occasionally looked back, and usually because someone like yourself has touted Firefox or Opera or whatever, and because I respect their point of view I've checked it out again. Nothing in the experience made me want to change.

My trial of IE8 pissed me off a lot, and after I blitzed it from my system, I considered Chrome. Then I found out about the whole 'phone home' thing, making Chrome a non-starter in my eyes.

Have you looked at Iron?

I have yet to try out Iron. I also haven't seen any buzz about it yet regarding security, stability, speed etc. so until I do, I will have to reserve any opinions on it, until I have tried it out myself.

:grin:

Well...it may die off eventually...until there's another browser upgrade! :laugh:

:rimshot::laugh::D:thu:

http://www.the-emperor.org/graphics/forticons/cthulhu_smiley.gif "That is not dead, which can eternal lie... " http://www.the-emperor.org/graphics/forticons/cthulhu_smiley.gif

But, really... :deadhorse::freak::blah:

I'm speaking from a programmer's level. You know...the guys who write the software. You may think that the level of the end user is more important then the knowledge of the folks who made the software, but I assure you that you would be sorely mistaken.

Where did I ever say/think that...HUH?

But since you bring up programmersas knowledgeable as they may be, they do NOT take into account every possible application use or interaction with all/every other app.

If you think that 'cuz some programmer is smart, he automatically has all the bases covered...:laugh: ...well, there's no need to even go there! We've ALL been beta testers too many times with apps that crash or don't do what the programmer says they will do.

Plus, when you take some of those apps into a critical/specialized computing environment...they WILL fail many stress tests that you ain't ever gonna see in PC Magazine or on some forum.

But Im not sure anymore what it is you are trying to even say?

You seem to be implying that if an app works on your computers, or if some programmer says its fully compatiblethat it will its automatically behave the same on any/every computer and in any/every computing environment that exists in the world.???

That perspective would be faulty.

AnywayIm, not looking to just keep going back-n-forth with a yes it can/no it cant discussion, because I know that we work in different IT arenas, and knowing mine, I can confidently say, its one you will probably never encounterand neither will most people.

Im sure Firefox is a great browserand Im sure there are few other favorites among end-usersbut that still doesnt change the fact that we only use IE at this time, and all others are *not authorized*.no matter how *good* anyone here says they are. ;)

No need to kill the thread with this kind of argument.

Firefox > IE by a long way - not only in stability, but security as well. Firefox does basic security by default that you have to be savvy enough to pick through in the "options" settings and deal with yourself in IE.

The idea that FF doesn't have a popup blocker or other anti-spam/anti-phishing/anti-spyware features is bunk. I don't know who published that garbage, but they're wrong.

That said, I've never tried Chrome or Iron, and I'm certainly game to experiment.

However, IE wouldn't even be in my system were it not for a few sites for which I HAVE to have ActiveX capabilities in order to interact. And those are the ONLY sites for which I launch it.

Craig...you've been taking little pot shots at me throughout this thread too...I just don't make a big deal about it.

So like...if you throw out the first dig...then youre NOT a troll..???

As always, it's a two-way street...so don't play the troll card now just 'cuz you disagree with my perspectives and 'cuz you haven't changed my mind about yours...that's getting old.

You can't go back-n-forth with someone for a bunch of posts...and then call them a troll in the end.

You seemed to be very eager to debate me.

No need to kill the thread with this kind of argument.

Firefox > IE by a long way - not only in stability, but security as well. Firefox does basic security by default that you have to be savvy enough to pick through in the "options" settings and deal with yourself in IE.

The idea that FF doesn't have a popup blocker or other anti-spam/anti-phishing/anti-spyware features is bunk. I don't know who published that garbage, but they're wrong.

That said, I've never tried Chrome or Iron, and I'm certainly game to experiment.

However, IE wouldn't even be in my system were it not for a few sites for which I HAVE to have ActiveX capabilities in order to interact. And those are the ONLY sites for which I launch it.

Check out the previously mentioned IE Tab for Firerfox. It allows you to switch over to the IE shell, right within Firefox. Great for accessing those pesky ActiveX sites, without having to launch IE.

Here is the link if you want to try it out:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Archived