Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ie 8 warning

a day or so ago I loaded in IE 8. Big mistake. Among other issues, it is incredibly slow. But worst of all, when writing a message here in the forums, I could never see what I was writing. The screen jumps to the top with every letter. Scroll down, start a new sentence, hit the first letter and the window jumps to the top.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are lots of good browsers, like Opera. But I really have such simple needs that IE in whatever version has usually been fine for me.

PC World sent me an update link, so I figured that as a member, they'd already have vetted the product before they offered it to us. wrong.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

I`ve been using google chrome-vastly easier and you don`t need `administrative priveleges` to install it at work.

Google Chrome reports your movements back to Google.

SRWare Iron is the same browser as Chrome without the reporting.

I recommend if you are using Chrome that you download SRWare Iron and use that instead.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

We are not allowing IE8 to be installed on any computers at my day gig

...Chrome was outlawed at my day gig awhile ago! :grin:

What can I say...we're on a tight security path....

I`ve been using google chrome-vastly easier and you don`t need `administrative priveleges` to install it at work.

I recommend if you are using Chrome that you download SRWare Iron and use that instead.

Geoff

Very interesting!

I've been using Mozilla Firefox as my browser, and Google's G-Mail (opens within the Firefox browser like any website or 'page) for my e-mail. Many of my relatives have been using Mozilla Thunderbird for their e-mail app.

Anybody got any experience, info or insight concerning Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, and Google G-Mail?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

That's funny I have been on ver. 8 and have not had any problems except one site (major company I think it was HP) and the font was so small. I clicked the little broken looking piece of paper icon along the top for compatibility mode and it looked fine then.

Here I have no problem at all, I am on v8.0.6001.18783 running Vista 64 bit.

Schecter C-1 Classic & Hellraiser C-1 FR / Hagstrom Viking Deluxe / Epi. PR5-E (Acoustic/Elec) / Les Paul Ultra II / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 / Kramer Striker

Amps:eVh 5150 III

Effects:Boss Gt-10

I work for a Microsoft Certified software company - and none of us are using IE8 because it has major issues. Everyone that has Vista has the extras all turned off so it will run faster.

I run Firefox at home and use IE7 for the apps that need Explorer to have full functionality.

Microsoft has the next Windows program that will replace Vista in alpha right now, beta will be out in September, and the initial version should be out shortly afterward. It appears a lot better than Vista, but I wouldn't touch it right away until they get all the bugs worked out.

Wow for once I am not the one having all problems... usually I am the 1st one that reports the wacko things!

I better knock on some wood, where's my guitar!

Schecter C-1 Classic & Hellraiser C-1 FR / Hagstrom Viking Deluxe / Epi. PR5-E (Acoustic/Elec) / Les Paul Ultra II / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 / Kramer Striker

Amps:eVh 5150 III

Effects:Boss Gt-10

I have a couple of things that I need to run at work that don't work correctly on Firefox or other browsers, even with the plug in. It's real random stuff, like one button on a page not responding. It's just easier to use IE7 for that stuff.

Microsoft's platform is very good, and their business class stuff like MOSS is excellent, but their out-of-the-box stuff for home users is quirky and never runs correctly on the first release.

I have a couple of things that I need to run at work that don't work correctly on Firefox or other browsers, even with the plug in. It's real random stuff, like one button on a page not responding. It's just easier to use IE7 for that stuff.

Microsoft's platform is very good, and their business class stuff like MOSS is excellent, but their out-of-the-box stuff for home users is quirky and never runs correctly on the first release.

To date, I haven't found a page that Firefox couldn't load, using the "IE Tab" plugin, and this is what I do for a living. ;)

IE 8 works fine here I usually use Firefox, but I do have IE and use it for my second e-mail address. MSN won't let me open both in Firefox tabs at the same time so I use IE8 for that on both my internet enabled computers.

No problems here

[i use Outlook to check the mail though (including Gmail), mainly because I use it's calendar and I have several accounts to check,...

you can do that in gmail, too. I don't know about the calendar.

Steve Martin

Geoff

Thanks for the tip on that. I'm running it now, and so far it seems very clean and very fast.

Steve Martin

At my IT day gig...we use extensive security certificates and CAC (Common Access Card) logons, along with digital signatures and encrypted email functionality....which is mainly why we're on IE7 and no other browser at this time. That is the one that works best for us, currently.

Other browsers either can't handle those functions/certsor they have serious security issuesor they require add-ons/plug-ins (I believe that's the issue with Firefox, otherwise, it's a good browser).

And currently IE8 also has some issues, and usually there is a long testing phase by my organization before it deploys any new software/browser. If they find any issues, they work directly with Microsoft to resolve them, via updates/patches before we deploy.

As an examplewe are just now done with Vista testing phases and ready to deploy, even though Vista has been around for awhile.

But part of that has to do with the depth of applications that are being used by us and the level of security that we requirelets just say its a LOT more than the typical home computer kind of use or what small/typical businesses use. :grin:

Like I saidwe are on a tight security path.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Geoff

Gotta check that out-Chrome has an `incognito mode` which I have not tried yet-I believe it defeats the google reporting but does not prevent advertisers or other information brokers from tracking your movements. IE8 has a similar function but as mentioned it`s a pain, I have not dealt with it. In any case the real problem is Intel-their chips are all equipped with internet tracking. AMD rocks.

Actually I don`t worry about it that much anyway, I have a dedicated laptop at work and that`s where it stays. I change locations several times a week-different laptop.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

At my IT day gig...we use extensive security certificates and CAC (Common Access Card) logons, along with digital signatures and encrypted email functionality....which is mainly why we're on IE7 and no other browser at this time. That is the one that works best for us, currently.

Other browsers either can't handle those functions/certsor they have serious security issuesor they require add-ons/plug-ins (I believe that's the issue with Firefox, otherwise, it's a good browser).

And currently IE8 also has some issues, and usually there is a long testing phase by my organization before it deploys any new software/browser. If they find any issues, they work directly with Microsoft to resolve them, via updates/patches before we deploy.

As an examplewe are just now done with Vista testing phases and ready to deploy, even though Vista has been around for awhile.

But part of that has to do with the depth of applications that are being used by us and the level of security that we requirelets just say its a LOT more than the typical home computer kind of use or what small/typical businesses use. :grin:

Like I saidwe are on a tight security path.

Truth be told, all the Firefox plugin does is open the IE shell in the firefox window. So all of the security, setting etc. from IE are still there in Firefox.

Firefox is all I'll run. There is even a plug in that allows it to open those security enriched pages that will normally only open in IE.

Best browser ever made!

I thought everybody ran Firefox now. :confused:

It's the only thing I use on Linux and XP.

IE is the work of Satan!!

http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/teufel/devil-smiley-043.gif

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Truth be told, all the Firefox plugin does is open the IE shell in the firefox window. So all of the security, setting etc. from IE are still there in Firefox.

For whatever specific reason...at the very upper levels of IT in my organization, the Information Assurance divisions don't want to allow Firefox...so we have to go with their direction.

I mean, these guys are 150% security focused...

There was a time we used both Netscape and IE...back up to around 2003...but I think it was shortly following the 9/11 attacks when the focus on Internet/computing security took a serious step up along with everything else.

Heck...we are not even using Thumb Drives and media Smart cards anymore after those recent system crashes/attacks in the US military sector (if you caught the stories in the news sometime last fall). I know most people still use them...but we don't...we burn everything to CD/DVD now for transfers if we aren't able to transfer via secure network, or for taking stuff outside of the networks or when stuff comes in from the outside.

I have a "Thumb Drive/Smart Transfer Station" set up for anyone bringing in stuff, for them to burn it to a CD/DVD.

Something about the nature of the small hard drives that makes them susceptible to hidden stuff....

I guess it all depends on what your main computer use is about. I mean, at home, I don't go to those extreme security measures...but because of my work, I am more aware of stuff than typical home PC users.

For whatever specific reason...at the very upper levels of IT in my organization, the Information Assurance divisions don't want to allow Firefox...so we have to go with their direction.

I mean, these guys are 150% security focused...

There was a time we used both Netscape and IE...back up to around 2003...but I think it was shortly following the 9/11 attacks when the focus on Internet/computing security took a serious step up along with everything else.

Heck...we are not even using Thumb Drives and media Smart cards anymore after those recent system crashes/attacks in the US military sector (if you caught the stories in the news sometime last fall). I know most people still use them...but we don't...we burn everything to CD/DVD now for transfers if we aren't able to transfer via secure network, or for taking stuff outside of the networks or when stuff comes in from the outside.

I have a "Thumb Drive/Smart Transfer Station" set up for anyone bringing in stuff, for them to burn it to a CD/DVD.

Something about the nature of the small hard drives that makes them susceptible to hidden stuff....

I guess it all depends on what your main computer use is about. I mean, at home, I don't go to those extreme security measures...but because of my work, I am more aware of stuff than typical home PC users.

There is nothing wrong with Firefox's security. When it came on the market, it was touted as being much safer and more secure then IE. My guess would be that your companies hesitance to upgrade have less to do with a problem in Firefox and more to do with there need to "stick with what you know". Not that there is anything wrong with that thinking at all. In a security important IT situation, you don't want to be messing around with new stuff that may have facets you are unaware of.

That could part of the reason, Craig...I can't tell you exactly what all the thinking is in the IA "upper offices". :grin:

The other part has possibly to do with *some* compatibilities, as there are homebrewed organizational apps that seem to specify IE only.

Plus we tend to use quite a lot of Microsoft apps on Enterprise levels, and have all kinds of global licensing arrangements in place.

It maybe that its just easier to stick with one global browser/apprather than allowed users to just pick what they wantbut I can probably find out more specifically why Firefox is not allowed. I can ask our IA people. In my IT scope, I don't deal directly with IA issues other than to implement what is passed on to us. I and my co-worker run the IT department for one of the sub-organizations within the bigger picture, and we have about 120 end-users along with our departmental servers, POS systems, etc...but AFA the global organizations network/email exchange that we tap into, that is much broader and falls under higher level SysAdmins and IA people...so we have to pretty much follow some of their rules.

I've seen the moving window a few times on this site with IE8, happens occasionally, but not most of the time. Clicking on the "Compatibility Mode" icon (just left of the refresh icon at the top) always clears it.

IE8 improved speed radically here on opening some of the modern complex pages (like MSNBC news) - same computer, but processes much faster to dosplay the page.

All the videos from keyboardtv come up as unavailable, and I go to Firefox for them.

I worked in a secure organization (largest single network - over 400,000 users) NOC for several years. We had both classified and non-classified systems. ALL software configurations down to the minute level had to be approved by Engineering. Created some interesting situations when their requirements just plain wouldn't work (happened many times). They had thousands of apps to keep track of anyhow, I could understand not wanting to have to test, debug, and our NOC having yet another thing to support. The military doesn't really care about user convenience, especially when the word security is mentioned.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Uuuuhhmmmnn... I've been opting NOT to download/install updates for IE 6 in the Automatic Updates, since I've been using Mozilla Firefox; should I be downloading and installing the IE 6 stuff, as well?

(I have been downloading and installing Firefox updates.)

Uuuuhhmmmnn... I've been opting NOT to download/install updates for IE 6 in the Automatic Updates, since I've been using Mozilla Firefox; should I be downloading and installing the IE 6 stuff, as well?

If you are using the IE Tab plugin, it will be using which ever incantation of IE you have installed.

If you are using the IE Tab plugin, it will be using which ever incantation of IE you have installed.

"Incantation"... I like that! ;):thu::D Just razzin' ya; gotta admit that it's funny! (And if you meant to type that, it's clever and I'm a rube!)

OK, IE 6 was the last incarceration that was installed on that particular PC; and Firefox is set-up allowing separate tabs to be opened within a single Ff browser-Window... And Ff is all I use, I never open anything using IE...

Is that what you mean? And, does that mean that I should download and install whatever IE 6 updates (particularly those that address potential security issues) suggested by MS/Windows Automatic Updates, even thopugh I'm using Ff? (I have it set-up to prompt me to select what I do and don't want.)

Archived