Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Un-throned (finally)

Steve Nathan

The "Country" music business is covered thoroughly on paper and online by Musicrow magazine. Once every year they look at all records that made the top 10 in their charts for the year. Then they read the credits and tally up which musicians played on the most of those top 10 records.

This presents me with an opportunity to introduce to this forum, a musician who deserves to be better known outside the "session player" inner circle. His name is Gordon Mote, and he is no less than terrific and a longtime personal favorite of mine. On June 30th of this year he will receive his first ever "Musicrow Musician Award" for playing on the most top 10s this year (finally ending the 13 consecutive year run of some other guy ;) ).

I know the membership here is light on Country fans, but I highly recommend checking Gordon out. One of my favorites is Willy Nelson's CD of Cindy Walker songs. You have to get past Willy's "iconic" vocal style, and if you don't know why it doesn't matter if the fiddles are out of tune, you may not be able to handle it, but if you give it a listen you will hear some of the best piano playing to ever come out of this town.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve:

As Mike mentioned above, this is a very magnanimous gesture on your part. :thu:

As one who falls into the "Country fan" category (which is perhaps surprising for some folks here) , I look forward to investigating Mr. Mote's work; something tells me I'm already familiar with it, but had attributed it to yourself, or one of the stalwarts that share the Nashville session scene with you.

All the best,

SG

Wow Steve, I know you had done some big albums, but I had no idea about the streak (putting the phrase "Musicrow Musician Award" in a web search returned that as a first hit). Nice job to you, and thanks for pointing Gordon Mote out to us. I am very particular about what country music I listen to, but I've heard some damned good keyboard playing at times that has really moved me, such as I mentioned in another post. I don't doubt that Mr. Mote's work will fall into the same category.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I always dig being exposed to this kind of information from the cream of the crop. As a guy who once aspired to be a session player myself, and one who was and still is intrigued by those who play at the level at which you need to be able to play to succeed, hearing about others who are known and respected for it is always inspiring and fascinating, and often leads me to great music. If it weren't for this forum I would never have found my way to 'Joshua Judges Ruth' and the world of Matt Rollings and Steve Nathan. Now I have a chance to discover another great player -- thanks for the info Steve!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I had not seen this page but now that Joe has pointed it out I see I have to correct my brag downward by a year :blush:

Johnny's a monster talent with character and personality to match :cool:

Steve, thanks for this very gracious thread. I've not listened to much country music and so reading that "streak" link was really informative. Funny, when I read the name "Wes Hightower" the first thing I thought of was Scott Glenn in Urban Cowboy. Shows you how much I know about real country music.

when I read the name "Wes Hightower" the first thing I thought of was Scott Glenn in Urban Cowboy.

:laugh: Not the same guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out The Wes Hightower I know sang most of the BGs on that soundtrack. He's one of the best in the business and worth every penny he gets (a lot of pennies ;) )

I had not seen this page but now that Joe has pointed it out I see I have to correct my brag downward by a year :blush:

Hey, you're right. I didn't even bother to count. I just saw your name a ton of times and thought, "yep, this must be the one he's talking about!" Sorry to 'correct' you. It's still a heckuva record. :cool:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Who's the guy that Reba was using for recording a while back.??

Whoever that was had some great ideas considering the song structures.

Usually you don't get to hear the Piano tracks very much but to me Pedal Steel, and Piano are the most interesting for commercial C & W.

But Blugrass,........I love all of the instruments, probably because they're all acoustic and blend so well.

But at the end of the day, it's still the vocal hooks that sell the songs.

Yee-Haw....

Thanks for a great thread Steve.

Magnus C350 and a TV Dinner Tray Stand

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

Archived