Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kyle Busch smashes a Gibson Les Paul

JohnH

Just saw this last night while going through some of my weekend shows. Pretty sickening. I like Kyle but damn...this sucks!

John

Video and stories here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from_the_marbles/post/Kyle-Busch-accepts-lovely-guitar-trophy-then-sm?urn=nascar,168533

http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/nationwideseries/Artist_Bass_heartbroken_over_Kyle_Buschs_guitar_smash.html

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...there's a whole thread about it over on the Bass Player Forum.

I saw it on TV after he won the race.

He looked kinda dumb ass 'cuz he couldn't really smash the guitar!!! :laugh:

I mean, if the guitar had exploded into a dozen pieces on the first hit...that would have been kinda retro-cool. But to sit there beating away on it a whole a bunch of times made him look like a total wimp :grin: and it had the absolute reverse effect of what he was going after...IMO.

Some people on the BP Forum are getting all worked about him smashing a "perfectly good guitar"...but like who cares about that...it's his damn guitar!

The Who smashed a LOT of "perfectly good instruments"...and everyone always thought it was cool that they did that...and expected it at every show!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Some people on the BP Forum are getting all worked about him smashing a "perfectly good guitar"...but like who cares about that...it's his damn guitar!

The Who smashed a LOT of "perfectly good instruments"...and everyone always thought it was cool that they did that...and expected it at every show!

I didn't look at the Bass Forum, but the real story is that the guitar is(was) in fact the trophy for the race.

The Gibson guitar has become the symbol of Nashville Superspeedway, and the one Busch smashed was the 30th designed by Bass, who said the trophy has come to be a very revered piece of history and revered by the fans here in Tennessee.

Seeing Busch smash the guitar after getting out of the car upset both fans and sponsors. Bass noted that representatives from race sponsor Federated Auto Parts walked out of victory lane after Buschs act.

Bass estimated that he and Gibson put hundreds and hundreds of hours of work into the guitar, which is so unique that you cant just buy this thing right off the shelf.

A guitar might be a guitar and he might have seen rock stars destroy them and things like that, but at the same time, this is a trophy, Bass said. You wouldnt think he would destroy the Daytona trophy or the Brickyard trophy or something like that.

So Busch is really an idiot for failing to appreciate the heritage of the thing, and the effort of the artist.

... the real story is that the guitar is(was) in fact the trophy for the race.

I missed that part of the story (I wasn't really paying that much attention)...I just saw when he was smashing it.

That makes it pretty lame then...to smash up the prize they are giving you. Kinda spits in their faces.

Well...like I said...he came off dumb ass.....

I don't much care about someone smahing their guitar...it's been done and cheered many times. If it's yours to smash...knock yourslef out.

But in this case...it does come off pretty low class to smash a gift/trophy...in front of the givers.

Agreed that guitar smashing etiquette rules out the smashing of trophies/custom painted guitars.

Guitar Smashing Etiquette - hmmm that could be the subject of a new monthly column in GP mag. :laugh: I want some kind of royalties or something for thinking of the title though. :laugh:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

....what lame moron trashes the victory trophy!?

...NASCAR...

'nuff said!

Gotta agree with this. Speechless.

Jeff

PRS Private Stock Hollowbody II

PRS SC245 Limited #47

PRS CU22 20th Annv. Artist

Gibson ES-137

Fender VG Stratocaster

Martin Custom DSM

Epiphone Slash Limited Edition Les Paul

Univox Coily

The worst part is that he did it in front of the guy who had painted it- and possibly some of the people who made the guitar, either present in person or live/in realtime via telecast- and that it's a regional point of pride there that the trophy is both a guitar, and a Gibson.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Havent seen the vid yet but shudnt this twit have smashed his tool of the trade, ie his car instead?? :rolleyes:

To do it on what I assume was a winners stand r similar is incredibly daft even if was say a fancy plate set or whatever, the won but shown he is a loser by the sounds of it :freak:

The worst part is that he did it in front of the guy who had painted it- and possibly some of the people who made the guitar, either present in person or live/in realtime via telecast- and that it's a regional point of pride there that the trophy is both a guitar, and a Gibson.

The guy who painted it is the one that handed to him.

If that were me, I would have tackled his punk ass and beaten him to a pulp.

IMHO - A childless stunt to pull, especially in front of the person who painted it. Apparently it had no value to him.

My real opinion - WHAT A JACKASS! :eek:

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

Someday when he can't afford a beer, he'll kick himself in the ass when he finds out what that Les Paul would have been worth...too bad he didn't have enough scamotts to autograph it and give it to the nearest kid... :deadhorse:
Take care, Larryz

I was one of the few who thought that was lame. So what if it's yours and you can afford it? And really, after the first time it is no longer spontaneous and nowhere near as "cool"...especially when you make it a point to bring out the cheap backup in advance.

I would have been more impressed had they picked some kid out of the crowd and given him one of those "perfectly good instruments" as a gift.

Archived