Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

J&R Music/Computer World - now selling musical instruments

rizzo9247

1.7 miles might not seem like a far distance, but I never make the trip to the next nearest music store (Ludlow Guitars on, you guessed it, Ludlow Street) because of it.

I will check out the stock at J&R up on Park Row and report back my findings.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm kind of surprised it took them this long. When we were in the Trade Center I'd go to J&R once or twice a week. I haven't been down there since. I really should, it's just a short PATH ride from Jersey City. I'm curious to find out what they're carrying.
Push the button Frank.

Just got back. It's a small store, set up similar to Sam Ash on 48th (guitars on one side, basses on the other, two rows on either side to walk, more instruments/combos in the middle. Two counters front and back with the staples; strings, pics, etc.)

Now onto the stock. Unimpressive, unless you have a thing for Squiers and Fenders which made up close to 90% of the instruments in the store. Typical 70% - 30% guitar to bass ratio. It seems that each Fender/Squier model was represented; you want a MIM jazz? Ok, we have one. American Precision? One (We're all out. Do you wear black?).

A couple of offshoot brands such as Hagstrom and Stagg. I think I saw one Yamaha bass and a couple of acoustics. A few G&L basses as well.

Amplification consisted of all combos: Hartke, Fender, and surprisingly, Orange.

Marshall halfstacks, Vox, and Fender combos for the guitarists. A plethora of pedals as well. Rest assured, the token wanking guitarist made an appearance.

It was packed so I didn't have a chance to sit down and play anything (not that there was room for it either).

Archived