Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Waaay too good to be true??

Looking to build my own 2x12 in the coming months I stumbled onto this driver. At that frequency response and power handling shouldn't it be at least twice as expensive? What's the catch? Does anyone have any experience with this dealer, positive or negative?

*confused*

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
B&C has a good reputation for making a great speaker. But it is a whole lot more coin than the deltalite. And the back page of the last Carvin catalog had both 4 and 8 ohm neo rated at 400watts ( I assume that's 200 nominal, 400 peak) for $90 each. Will your box be able to make use of the extra power that the speaker can handle? And the deltalite is .9db more sensitive.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

B&C has a good reputation for making a great speaker. But it is a whole lot more coin than the deltalite. And the back page of the last Carvin catalog had both 4 and 8 ohm neo rated at 400watts ( I assume that's 200 nominal, 400 peak) for $90 each. Will your box be able to make use of the extra power that the speaker can handle? And the deltalite is .9db more sensitive.

But how much of a max SPL difference does that wind up making?

I actually meant to post a different link, the EarthShaker 12'' on Seismic Audio's web site that was going for something like $35, had listed freq. resp. of 50-5K, and sensitivity something like 98. It just seemed way too cheap.

Well, I found some stuff on TalkBass--apparently I may have been right to have been suspicious because other products from Seismic Audio are known to break down rapidly over time. However the web site is not working at this time so I can't link what I intended to.

Thanks for the advice! I am interested in the Deltalites, for sure, but the B&Cs get lots of good reviews and some of the Deltalite reviewers say it doesn't handle as well as the specs make it out to.

I'd be willing to bet that the earth shaker thing is a car audio sub woofer that doesn't really go up to a usable 5K. It might work well if you're crossing over at a relatively low Hz. I've got a floor tom shell project that's sitting in the closet until I get a chance to replace the top panel that vibrates like....like...a drum that has a 10" car sub woof with a pair of enclosed mid speakers that sounds good so far. The woof appears to put out good --and low--- booty, but badly needs the mids.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Yeah but for 35 bucks you could replace it many times!!

Earth shaker indeed . . .

Go with a name brand and buy the best you can afford.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Check the newer Eminence KappaLite 3012 (or 3012LF if you want to make a 2- or 3-way). Read up on greenboy's fEarful designs on TB. He's done a 212 design and it looks pretty kick arse but honestly I think with enough juice behind it, one 112 of that design or the 115 would be plenty for whatever you need. Sounds crazy by the standards we have set in our heads by what's available at GC, but this is a whole 'nuther beast.

Archived