Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electro 2 Pianos Vs. Casio Pianos?

scottasin

I'm thinking about adding a Casio privia series board to my rig (which at the moment is just a nord electro 2 61 and a MIDI controller hooked up to a laptop for synth) for the piano sounds, since the pianos available for the nord electro are generally pretty poor.

However, I'm not sure whether I should get a cheap one to use as a controller for the piano/rhodes/wurli patches or if I shoule use it as a controller for rhodes/wurli and the main board for pianos (and I'm not sure how hard/easy it is to control some things from one board at one time, and at other points using the internal sounds).

either way... what do you all suggest?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the piano sound from my Electro - you need to trigger it from a weighted board though.

I forget the details, but are you still playing through a guitar amp (sorry if I got this wrong). You need to fix that before you fix your piano sound.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Last year I was using the very rig you describe: NE2-61 on top, Privia on bottom. It never even occurred to me to use the Privia as a controller for the Electro's acoustic piano sounds, because the Privia's sounded so much better. It's not the best sounding piano on the market by any means, but it's still miles beyond the NE2 piano. Admittedly, I never tried playing the NE2 sounds with a weighted action, and maybe I would have felt differently if I had.

I'm not terribly familiar with the various Casio models, but the one disadvantage mine has (CDP-100 equivalent) is that there's no way to adjust the piano sound with anything like onboard EQ, if you're into that.

The piano sound on the CDP is pretty weak, IMNSHO. It sounds like there is at best one sample per key, meaning that lower velocity is simply lower volume. I understand the true Privias like the 320 are better.

If you get a Privia, you'll probably be able to either use it as a controller for the Electro (that's what I do) or use the built-in piano if you feel it works better. I think it's a pretty good and lightweight combo either way.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

...the Privia's sounded so much better. It's not the best sounding piano on the market by any means, but it's still miles beyond the NE2 piano.

Ouch.

:snax:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Last year I was using the very rig you describe: NE2-61 on top, Privia on bottom. It never even occurred to me to use the Privia as a controller for the Electro's acoustic piano sounds, because the Privia's sounded so much better. It's not the best sounding piano on the market by any means, but it's still miles beyond the NE2 piano. Admittedly, I never tried playing the NE2 sounds with a weighted action, and maybe I would have felt differently if I had.
You would have. It's like night and day. I play the Electro mono Steinway sound exclusively for my piano sound on any kind of gig, straight ahead jazz, blues, rock, RnB, neo-soul, whatever. Playing it from a good weighted action, it's a great piano sound. Playing it from the Electro, it's horrible.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I had an NE2 and currently use a Casio PX-310.

It's not even close, the NE2's acoustic pianos were not usable to me, terrible, even for practice, the Privia's are pretty darn good, and at a mere 26 lbs I have no problem staying with it over the much heavier alternatives.

Admittedly, I never tried playing the NE2 sounds with a weighted action, and maybe I would have felt differently if I had.
You would have. It's like night and day. I play the Electro mono Steinway sound exclusively for my piano sound on any kind of gig, straight ahead jazz, blues, rock, RnB, neo-soul, whatever. Playing it from a good weighted action, it's a great piano sound. Playing it from the Electro, it's horrible.

Interesting, I'm surprised the difference was that huge. Since I upgraded to the NE3, I haven't tried its AP sounds on a weighted keyboard yet either. I'll have to give that a shot.

I should also clarify that in my comment above, I was referring to the original NE2 piano sound; I never installed the later ones (since the demos I heard didn't sound appreciably better).

It's been a few years since I had an electro but I fail to see how the casio piano sound is better than the electro?? If I were to use my privia on gigs I'd have to eq the hell out of it! I agree using the privia as a controller over the electro AP's will be far far better than the internal privia sound.

I haven't seen much love for the Rain Piano sound on the forum. I find it highly enjoyable and playable with my PX-120 + NER2 set-up.

YES! I, too, think that the Rain is absolutely brilliant, very lively in its nature. I keep wondering why that's the only upright they offer; I liked the upright Yammy, and I'd love some more.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

Archived