Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Questions about XK3-c

Floyd Tatum

The Hammond XK3c has 2 sets of drawbars. If you buy the lower manual (either XK-System Traditional or Pro XK-System), and a set of pedals, you have almost a B3. But, the console hammonds had 2 sets of drawbars per manual plus 2 drawbars for pedals. This new two-manual system has two sets of drawbars total, plus 2 for the pedals.

How much of a deal is that to you guys & gals that are real hammond console players?

Follow-up question, in case anyone knows: It seems the lower manual from the 'XK System Traditional' is bigger than the one from the 'Pro XK System', and includes the optional music rack. Does the music rack work with the Pro XK System as well?

Or, alternately, does the lower manual from the XK Traditional System fit on the fold-up metal stand from the Pro XK System?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on how much you would change the lower manual drawbars, or if you usually use several specific setups, you could save those settings to the lower manual presets and use the 2 sets of drawbars for the upper manual A#/B keys. In A#/B mode the 2 sets of drawbars are assigned to the A# and B preset keys unless any other preset key is selected and then the right most set of drawbars reverts to controlling the lower manual. Also, you can un-link the manual presets so that when you select a different upper manual preset the lower manual and pedal drawbar settings will not change. They will only change when a new lower manual preset key is selected.

The music rack will not work on the Pro System because the top of the XK-3c is the actual top in that System. In the Traditional System, there is an additional cover that goes over the top of the XK-3c.

I'm pretty sure the Traditional System lower manual will not fit on the Pro System stand. The sides are not deep enough.

That's what I figured about the music rack. So, with the XK Pro system, you'd have to use a music stand, or build a custom music rack. Then again, you'd have to do that same thing if you were using an XK3-c without the lower manual.

The Hammond XK3c has 2 sets of drawbars. If you buy the lower manual (either XK-System Traditional or Pro XK-System), and a set of pedals, you have almost a B3. But, the console hammonds had 2 sets of drawbars per manual plus 2 drawbars for pedals. This new two-manual system has two sets of drawbars total, plus 2 for the pedals.

How much of a deal is that to you guys & gals that are real hammond console players?

Works great for me. I tend to just use on set of drawbars per manual anyway, so it's typically not an issue.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

You can set the drawbars to work on the rightmost two preset keys of the upper manual if you like (edit - I see JMcS explained this in more detail). I thought I would use this mode, but honestly I find that I adapted to a single set a drawbars per manual quite naturally. I should disclaim that it was a few years between when I played a B2 in college to when I got my XK3C.

The XK3C as a whole has been such a complete delight to me that I spend no time wishing for any changes with it (well, maybe the weight, but that isn't terrible).

That's what I figured about the music rack. So, with the XK Pro system, you'd have to use a music stand, or build a custom music rack. Then again, you'd have to do that same thing if you were using an XK3-c without the lower manual.

True. I bought a top cover and music rack from an old model (maybe a B2) thinking I could modify it to replace the top cover of my Traditional System but it didn't work out. There a re nails that would have to be cut through and IIRC one of the dimensions was a little too short. I think it would be possible to build one like it though.

Is anyone else having a problem with the text box not scrolling down far enough when typing a reply so that what is being typed keeps disappearing below the bottom of the box? Is there a way to stop it?

I've played extensively w/ an XK3 full system and an XK1 at a close friend's studio/house. BTW, the XK3 was going through a Motion Sound Pro 145 and the XK1 through a leslie 2101.

It's a great instrument. However, if I was going to play live, I would want to do a bunch of "pre-programming." That's probably the best thing about having two drawbars per manual. I believe B3'er (Jim Alfredson) uses a separate Peavey midi unit as a second drawbar unit.

My only gripe is the high cost of the XK3© full system (including bench and stand.) New, it's pricey. Used it's not so bad - I've seen a full system, bench, and stand for around $3500. But that's w/o pedals or a leslie (which I wouldn't want to gig w/o if it's an xk3). You could use your own bench/stand. However, the bench is probably the hardest thing to get - you could use an older bench but it doesn't fold and newer benches aren't cheap.

The physical size of the XK system is also pretty large. It's about 10 inches wider than a C1 or about the size of a 76 key nord stage.

The Diversi single manual has two sets of drawbars and the dual manual diversi has two sets per manual (total of 4). But, there's no presets (I think they do have a workaround). The diversi is also not modular (for the dual manual) like the Hammond XK3 system. Joey uses it w/o a leslie btw.

The Nord C2 has a drawbar preview function where it allows you to dial in different drawbar sets without any changes being heard. No clue to it's functionality.

I feel like every portable clone has some kind of drawback or thing(s) that are missing from a regular console. Before buying, I would try as many as I could and see which one works for you.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

Most of the time when doing the classic organ trio thing, you don't mess with the lower manual drawbars. You set up your bass / comp sound and that's that.

For those rare occassions when I need to change the lower manual registration, a few button clicks and the right-side drawbars become assigned to the lower manual. A couple more button presses and we're back to the upper manual B/Bb drawbar control.

I do wish the lower manual would not automatically get assigned to the right-side drawbars when using any preset other than B/Bb. That can be a real pain.

Archived