Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tuna!

In the 6 string thread (someone else can link to it if they feel like it) I said I had tuned one of my 5'ers down a whole step to play an open Gm riff on what were the A and D strings that I wrote on my old 6's G and high C.

I've left the bass in that tuning all week. I've found it to be highly interesting. It's compelling me to play differently and really pay attention to the key a lot more during improv jams. I feel that it is good exercise for my brain. Once in a while I feel like my playing has plateaued and this seemed to kick my ass right out of that slump.

What are some alternate tunings that you have used or find interesting? The whole step down really doesn't make you rethink scale and mode patterns, just where they land on the fingerboard. Gimme some crazy stuff! Also, share what else you do during a woodshed period and maybe link to old threads that you found worthy.

P.S. Going to Florida July 8th-15th. Any Sunshine State Lowdowners? I'll be in Melbourne the first few days, West Palm Beach the rest of the week.

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some tunings that I've messed around with:

4 string bass:

D A D G (I have a hipshot detuner peg now, so I use this on a regular basis on one of my basses)

D A D A (perfect for playing in the key of D minor...you can't play a wrong note! Octaves are straight across, and if you get lost, just play the middle two strings)

C G D A (Cello tuning an octave down)

5 string bass:

normal tuning (B E A D G) but up an octave.

6 string bass:

B E A D G B (lets you use some guitar chord fingerings on the top strings)

B E A D F# B (guitar tuning down an octave and a fourth...good luck playing barre chords)

p.s. when are you coming to Oakland, Kevin?

I need to be educated/learn about alternate tunings. I have never understood the benefit. Why would I want to tune some strings a step up or down from "standard" tuning? I know where all the notes are on my 24 fret 5 string. I can play everything from Low B to High G.

What am I missing? I am just too old fashioned or closed minded?

Alternate tunings make it harder to play the normal things we need to play, but can open up possibilities of new things.

Guitarists often use alternate tunings to have more open strings available or to have chords more easily available when playing slide.

Cello tuning, for instance, gives you a great range across the strings in one position. Of course, the fingerings for everything else changes. Red Mitchell tuned his bass in 5ths.

On a four string bass, tuning D A D G is certainly useful when playing lots of songs in the key of D, and I play with several acoustic guitarists (including my brother) who often play in that key.

As Davio mentioned, I am in the area - Jupiter to be exact (just north of West Palm).

Give me a shout when you're here. I don't think I've got a gig those days, but I'm up for bass chat... guarantee I've got a bass or five you've not played before.

I'll PM a contact number...

P.S. - Davio? You ever coming back down here? The Lowdown GTG at Bass Central was a blast. We should get hold of ATM and do a reunion.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Last I heard from ATM was that he'd bought himself a motorcycle (and presumably; rode off into the sunset - 'Just me and the pigmy pony, over by the Dental Floss Bush...Tweezers gleamin' in the moonlity night [thanks FZ]) and a cell phone number change. 'Twas a grand LDL GTG - Davio, me, ATM and BassGodOffspring (BGO), and Beaver Felton gave us free roam of Bass Central. IIRC - that's where Davio developed his (unhealthy maybe?) love of Dingwall basses and Accugroove cabs, and I got hooked on Lull basses. Coulda been worse, though I'm not sure (from a financial point, how).

Anyway, I think Davio has a better handle on where/what ATM is up to.

Davio?

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

P.S. Going to Florida July 8th-15th. Any Sunshine State Lowdowners? I'll be in Melbourne the first few days, West Palm Beach the rest of the week.

I'll be in Florida during roughly the same time frame (2nd-12th).

But I'll be over on the other coast visiting the kids and grandkids.

haha...floppy is a fitting adjective for two whole step drop tuning, probably sounds like the diving board from hell! I think that is the tuning that Rex uses on Patera's "13 Steps to Nowhere". The cello tuning seems like an interesting option. I knew cellos were tuned different but never knew what it was.

Jim-I'll give you a shout when I'm on your stretch of the beach! My grandmother lives in Jupiter.

Jeremy-Our first day in the studio, Shark Bite, will be October 15th. The next week we will be in San Fran at Different Fur to mix. No shows planned as of right now but..... I hope and we'll see. Just met Trey Spruance (ex. Mr. Bungle) when Secret Chiefs 3 came to Boston. When we told him that we're going out to work with Billy Anderson he asked what studios. Then he said "Oh, you're getting the royal treatment!" when we told him where. I am as giddy as an 19 year old raver on E and Vicks vapor rub!

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

Where's the fam, WC?

In another thread robb asked how many sons I have, so I'll combine both answers here:

Son #2 and 3 grandkids in Northport, FL.

Daughter and 2 grandkids in Port Charlotte, FL.

Son #1 is near Orlando, FL. He and his wife will stay in the condo I rent while I'm in Englewood, FL.

Son #4 just moved to the Chicago area, so I guess I'll be headed that direction sometime in the near future.

Luckily son #3 lives just a few miles from me.

Any other personal information you'd like me to post on the interweb? ;)

Coolcool. I kind of miss Florida but then I remember the summers and how far I had to drive to listen to 1/2-way decent music and I return to enjoying it up here. :)

Oh, next could you post your credit card info and SSN?

Hmm...davio, we seem to have completely highjacked this thead...but I'll continue anyhow.

I usually go to Florida in the summer. Yeah, it's hot as hell, but it's also WAY cheaper and less crowded that time of year. At least on the gulf side.

I'm so old that SSNs only had 5 digits when I got mine. It's 0-1-367. :rimshot:

Archived