Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bob Bogle, Ventures' Guitarist passes.

bbqbob

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Ventures taught me to play guitar (if you consider playing their records until I wore a hole in them trying to learn their songs)..my first band played nothing but Ventures so I guess we were one of the 1st tribute bands??? I too am very saddened by Bob Bogles passing and wish to express my true sympathy to his family and friends...I will miss him dearly as one of my inspirations...
Take care, Larryz

The Ventures are still a major act in Japan, they`ve toured here numerous times. Many guitarists here can still burn off a version of `Pipeline` when the ocassion calls.

EDIT:

Come to think of it, I`ve jammed out on a few Ventures tunes with some of my own students. This news will not go down well here, not one bit.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

What the..? this GUITAR forum posts RIP thread to ANYONE semi famous and now Bob Bogle dies and 2 posts!?!? This guy has probably influenced more people than Hendrix. If you just laughed reading this do yourself a favour and check up on the popularity of the Ventures outside of north america. I bet there would have been more posts on a RIP Cher thread. Man, that suddenly just pissed me off.

Sorry to read that, he and the Ventures sure made their mark, both directly and indirectly, impacting much of what is cool in the rich heritage of guitar music.

(Also sorry to read that you're pissed off, Mike; just saw this thread right now, myself...)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

After I read the news yesterday I pulled up the Ventures on my iPod and listened to a couple runs through the playlist. I remember as a kid listening to Joy a lot since it was one of my dad's favorite songs. That is a song that I really enjoy listening to in part because it is a good song and in part because it brings back great childhood memories.

My thanks go out to The Ventures for giving me that. My respects and condolences are with the friends and family of Bob Bogle.

Many guitarists here can still burn off a version of `Pipeline` when the occasion calls.

'Pipeline' was by the Chantays, although just about everybody, including the Ventures, has done a version.

I love guitar based instrumental bands & just picked up a recent Ventures release last year. They still had the knack.

Btw, the Chantays are still around & playing, with 3 of the original members. That's 47 years. Amazing longevity for a one hit band.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I too have been perplexed by the response (or lack of) to this thread. This is a GUITAR forum and the Ventures are guitars, guitars and more guitars. Ventures=Guitars. Bob Bogle and The Ventures were tremendously influential to legions of guitarists. Pity.

Many guitarists here can still burn off a version of `Pipeline` when the occasion calls.

'Pipeline' was by the Chantays, although just about everybody, including the Ventures, has done a version.

I love guitar based instrumental bands & just picked up a recent Ventures release last year. They still had the knack.

Btw, the Chantays are still around & playing, with 3 of the original members. That's 47 years. Amazing longevity for a one hit band.

Scott Fraser

Thanks for correction-I`ve seen video of them doing it live, probably it has come to be identified with them. I`m not a big surf guitar fan in general but there are a few tunes-I think `Telestar` is another-that transcend the genre.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Scott Fraser

Pipeline is one of the few tunes I have played since day one...I got it from the Ventures and then wrote my own version..the Chantays original sounds more like the Bat Man theme to me than the surf sound that the Ventures and Sufarri's put out...the best version yet was sent to me by an old friend and it's not that old...check out the Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn version...cool stuff dudes.... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived