Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Easy songs you can't wrap your brain around!

Outkaster

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to admit this.

For a long time I would regularly blow the chords to "Happy Birthday".

I believe my skills are somewhat better than that, so this was always a DUH moment for me. My only excuse is that the song was usually a request . I would get this momentary lapse....embarrassing!

Even now I usually do a momentary mental rehearsal before playing that song. Can't explain that one.

Ed

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

I hate to admit this.

I believe my skills are somewhat better than that, so this was always a DUH moment for me. My only excuse is that the song was usually a request . I would get this momentary lapse....embarrassing!

Even now I usually do a momentary mental rehearsal before playing that song. Can't explain that one.

Ed

Well, I can't really explain it either, but I know your problem and I figure it has to do with the strange opening (the 6 as melody note over the tonic). Also, there's the lydian IV-chord on the first syllable of the name of the person celebrating

(argh, is there a term for that? In Germany we have "birthday child", but that's it.)

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I hate to admit this.

Ed

Well, I can't really explain it either, but I know your problem and I figure it has to do with the strange opening (the 6 as melody note over the tonic). Also, there's the lydian IV-chord on the first syllable of the name of the person celebrating

(argh, is there a term for that? In Germany we have "birthday child", but that's it.)

I've often wanted to switch to the Beatle's version of "Birthday", but these days I'm usually by myself and the requests are mostly in church.

Maybe I'll sequence it. ;)

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

What about the wedding march? I screwed that one up at my cousins wedding in 1989 and it is on video. I cringe when they show it at family gatherings!!!!

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

There are songs I know I've played at least a thousand times, and every now an then my brain takes the moment off and I forget how to play the damned song.

What causes that?

Alzheimers?

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Speaking of Sunshine of your Love, the drum beat bewilders me to this day.

+1! Yeah the snare hit is on the down beat, 1 and 3 isn't it?

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

And how about the synth intro to Jump? In the very first phrase the first synth chord is on the up beat (2). After the drum roll opening the 2nd phrase, it seems the first synth chord of the 2nd phrase is on the 1 (at least to me).

Stan

Serpentine Fire by Earth, Wind & Fire. The pulse/tempo is so slow that the horns are playing 32nd notes all the way through in one measure per stave. I play kalimba in the left hand and a rhodes/string pad in the right hand while singing the bottom vocal harmony.

At the end of each chorus, there is a measure of 5/4 where the vocals hold. There's no release or snare crack, the song just starts again and I always miss that damn downbeat.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

What about the wedding march? I screwed that one up at my cousins wedding in 1989 and it is on video. I cringe when they show it at family gatherings!!!!

That's the only thing I have ever used a sequencer for. Didn't want to screw up on someones wedding video.

The jam band I play in plays "Love Light". I can't wrap my brain around it cause it bores me to death and they drag it out with long solos. Two chords over and over and over. They all like playing it and it always seems to get the crowd dancing. ??

I have had issues playing Chris Ledoux's "Cadilac Cowboy". Easy song but the beat changes back and forth. I think most of my issue is playing it with different drummers that don't do it right.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

lol clpete- I was asked to do the wedding march at a wedding, and I sequenced it too! On my old SY77. It was a nice arrangement if I say so myself, with pipe organ, strings, and some french horns in the soft parts.

The jam band I'm in does "Estimated Prophet" by the Dead. It's in 7/4, I have to physically count it in the bridge part, where it's like a 4/4 then 3/4 thing. I'm sure there are other songs where I cheat on coming in for a part because I can't feel the groove just right.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Speaking of Sunshine of your Love, the drum beat bewilders me to this day.

+1! Yeah the snare hit is on the down beat, 1 and 3 isn't it?

Well, that too, but it's mostly the sound. I think Ginger plays the eighth notes on the floor tom, but the sound coming out of them is unlike any I've ever heard.

The jam band I'm in does "Estimated Prophet" by the Dead. It's in 7/4, I have to physically count it in the bridge part, where it's like a 4/4 then 3/4 thing. I'm sure there are other songs where I cheat on coming in for a part because I can't feel the groove just right.

We had this on the board to learn, but the 7/4 time was giving fits to our drummer and bass. Not sure it counts as easy.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

This thread has been really funny- I don't feel like such an idiot anymore.

I can for sure relate to Spirits in the Material World (Good thing I never had to play it)

Afro Blue ( a tune I enjoy listening to but just can't play well even though it's so simple)

Happy Birthday ( I hate to admit it but I keep a copy in my gig book just in case- what a horrible feeling it is to mess up on Happy Birthday)

Horn parts have often been very tripy for me to play...a few years back I would be called upon to do the sax solo in "She's Gone" - Hall & Oates....odd timing, note bending, and specific phrasing would be a killer. When I got it right, it sounded great....more often than not, not so great!

:rawk:

Afro Blue ( a tune I enjoy listening to but just can't play well even though it's so simple)

It's always the simple ones that get ya! And I always practice the roman numerals to Happy Birthday a bit before I have to play it because people always start it in a different key that the one I'm prepared for!

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Horn parts have often been very tripy for me to play...a few years back I would be called upon to do the sax solo in "She's Gone" - Hall & Oates....odd timing, note bending, and specific phrasing would be a killer. When I got it right, it sounded great....more often than not, not so great!

:rawk:

I had the same difficulty playing the horn parts along with the clav bass line on "I Wish". When it works though it rocks!

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Back on topic, for a long time I had a problem with the intro to "Black Magic Woman" I played it right, just in the wrong key. took me a long time to wrap my brain around the key, and I still have to play a Dm7 to remind myself of where it starts.

I had the same problem when I was first learning the intro. Even after I learned the melody, I still had a sense that there was something missing. That melody just seemed naked to me. After listening to that intro over and over, my ear found 2 notes(E, D) that were played in what I believe a 2/4 timing underneath the melody. For me, the first note of the melody and the underlying 2 notes would have to be in sync before I can get the feel right :crazy:

Kronos 88 Platinum, Casio PX-5S, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I had the same difficulty playing the horn parts along with the clav bass line on "I Wish". When it works though it rocks!

Same here! I had to work those parts together for at least 1h before my hand started complaining. After taking a break everything aligned perfectly :)

Btw, isn't that a rhodes, or am I wrong and it really is clavinet? I kinda remember it to be a rhodes.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

.....I had the same difficulty playing the horn parts along with the clav bass line on "I Wish". When it works though it rocks!

Yes, it's that 4th horn note which is on the 16th note before the beat 4, instead on the beat, that really gives it the funk..... and makes it tricky to play if you are doing anything else at the same time!

Not exactly related but somewhat is I've always had trouble with the very beginning to Killer Queen by Queen. There are 7 finger snaps at the beginning and Freddy starts singing at about 5 1/2 snaps. It just seems awkward.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

2. Love and Happiness. The R + B song. Just can't fit myself in with that one. I like it - - at my weekly blues jam gig, I pass my chair off on that tune if there's another player in the house.

I'll second this one. We played it for a couple of years and never the same way twice. I'll bet Al Green never did it the same way twice either because the arrangement on the original session is all over the place. I tried writing it down, counting measures, winging it - everything. Nothing worked...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Archived