Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New video of the beloved Wal!

Phil W

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool vid ! I think the guitarist in my second band (first one with a drummer) had the same guitar. He saw the light and traded it in for a Warwick bass though :grin:

It's sad how at least 90% of an audience has no idea just how unique the instruments we play truly areand the painstaking subtleties in which we go about acquiring new ones.

Amen. Last gig I did was the first with my MM Jazz, and my best friend afterwards asked "Hey man, got a new bass?". I was amazed he'd even remarked that much :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

My band mates find it funny that I keep swapping back and forth between the T-bass and the Spector, but one of the guitarrists always compliments on the tone.

He wishes he was a bass player really.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

My band mates find it funny that I keep swapping back and forth between the T-bass and the Spector

Early on I would bring both the BTB and the fretless to rehearsals, and switch between the two. Gave up on doing that when the singer asked why on earth a bassist would want to change basses :rolleyes:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

My band mates find it funny that I keep swapping back and forth between the T-bass and the Spector

Early on I would bring both the BTB and the fretless to rehearsals, and switch between the two. Gave up on doing that when the singer asked why on earth a bassist would want to change basses :rolleyes:

Oh but I swap from one gig to the other not during rehearsals, can't be bothered to carry two basses.

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I finally managed to watch the video and those lights give the wall a special colouring coupled with some great lines and that's a recipe for sucess. Who cares about the singer.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, that's a real pisser. However, there could just be a glimmer of truth, if, by playing the EUB you were playing much simpler lines and keeping it simple. Maybe allowing the tone of the instrument to ring out. I could see why folk might prefer that.

Don't be offended by their comments, or mine come to that, take it as a positive reinforcement.

Your friend

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Davio-spot on. Not sure I have the body for spandex any more though. Davo, I'm sure you have something there. The guitarist and drummer are not exactly minimal players so it is probably a better balance. There is also something about how the other guys change their playing when I play upright: they play quieter, swing more and listen harder.

Nah Davo, always happy for constructive criticism. My favourite electric bass players all play a lot - Jamerson, Alphonso Johnson, Doug Rauch, Michel Alibo, Linley Marthe, Tommy Cogbill, Richard Bona. Maybe a simpler approach was necessary.

Lobster is a cool idea.

Here's a ballad on the Wal with a bass feature for a comparison

http://soundcloud.com/philwbass/04-myromance

Archived