Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yo Willie, a trip to NYC

Wally Malone

Mark can hang with anybody:

Here he is teaching Wynton Marsalis how to play the Shofar (in Wynton's apartment!).

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/Mark.Wynton.jpg

Here he is with Pat Metheny:

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/Pat.Mark.jpg

Here he is with Ivan Lins:

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/Ivan.Mark.jpg

Here he is with Randy Newman:

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/Mark.Randy.jpg

and here he is with me at the 55 Bar:

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/Jeremy.Mark.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I had the chance to talk to Sweets today and we talked a little of my upcoming trip to NYC and thought it would be a good time to bump this up and start thinking of when some of us can get together. On Monday evening the group I work with will be going out to dinner to celebrate my birthday which is actually the day before. I will be arriving on Sunday after dinner time and if anyone has a gig on Sunday night it could be possible to attend. It looks like Tuesday or Wednesday may be a good time to have a Lowdown get together.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Tuesday may be better for me, though I'll try for Wednesday if need be. I have a gig Friday, 9/18 in Hawthorne (40 minutes north by train), but I guess you'll miss that :wink:

Looking forward to this!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom, I was hoping that someone had a gig while I was there, but my flight back home is on Thursday. Tuesday or Wednesday seems to be the best time to have a Lowdowner hang. Let's see how everyone's schedules look. Looking forward to seeing you!

Wally

Tuesday may be better for me, though I'll try for Wednesday if need be. I have a gig Friday, 9/18 in Hawthorne (40 minutes north by train), but I guess you'll miss that :wink:

Looking forward to this!

Tom

Saw this at the bottom of page one and thought I'd give it a bump since I'll be arriving in NYC on Sunday evening. I have a tough day tomorrow and will have to listen to Esperanza Spalding open the Monterey Jazz Festival and then will get to listen to the John Patitucci Trio who will be recorded on one of the grounds stages to broadcast in the Hank Jones slot since Hank declined the broadcast.

Wally

Saw this at the bottom of page one and thought I'd give it a bump since I'll be arriving in NYC on Sunday evening. I have a tough day tomorrow and will have to listen to Esperanza Spalding open the Monterey Jazz Festival and then will get to listen to the John Patitucci Trio who will be recorded on one of the grounds stages to broadcast in the Hank Jones slot since Hank declined the broadcast.

Wally

Wow, "have to listen to Esperanza Spalding" and "get to listen to the John Patitucci Trio." I have great respect for J. Pat. but I'd have to say I would have worded that the other way around if I were going. ;)

Davio, I was making an attmempt at being sarcastic. This is the first year in quite some time that I won't be spending the whole weekend there. But I do get to spend my birthday in Times Square on Sunday.

Wally

Davio, I was making an attmempt at being sarcastic. This is the first year in quite some time that I won't be spending the whole weekend there. But I do get to spend my birthday in Times Square on Sunday.

Wally

I know, Wally. I just get some sick little thrill out of twisting people's words. Maybe I should get into politics.

Davio, I didn't get to see Patitucci. There was a change with Hank Jones not being able to make it and was replaced with John Scofield playing with the group that includes Patitucci and will now broadcast live on Saturday evening. Wish I was there tonight. To be honest I wasn't that impressed with Esperanza's show. Since I was there to monitor the main stage broadcast I wasn't able to get out on the grounds stages and see any groups.

Wally

It was a last minute arrangement, since I was short on time (to make calls or arrangements) and since there was no further response here. Just the same, I managed to spend an hour and a half with Wally over dinner (at Pongsri - the same place I'd had lunch with Robb when he was in NYC). It was great to catch up.

There was hopeful news about his wife's health, and lots of interesting goings-on with the music union. Wally discussed a few initiatives, and I've asked him to post about them when they start up.

We talked a bit about gigs and not at all about equipment. It was an interesting evening anyway :freak:

If Wally comes to your area, he's worth the effort. As a seasoned pro and with his union work, he has an interesting perspective. And he's a great guy!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'm glad that Tom and I had the chance to spend a little time together. In general I was really busy while there but even then can usually find a little time to spend with my Lowdown friends. Ben, I still hope that on one of my trips to NYC the opportunity to catch one of your performances presents itself. I also was able to spend a little time on Wednesday evening with my sister-in-law and two of my neices. They live right near Lincoln Center and it was a great evening for a good walk. Although I always enjoy my trips to NYC it's also nice to get back home to my time zone.

As Tom stated above there are some new things coming up from the AFM that all musicians should be interested in and will let all know when they are introduced.

Wally

Archived