Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My long-winded, unsolicited NE3 review

What is a "monotimbral emulator?" Sounds cool, though! Actually, the NE3 is a very advanced digital modeling of 5 basic isntruments + a section to download samples. It is a players instrument

monotimbral as opposed to multitimbral, which many synth workstations are. Most synths have 16 channels midi available for various tone generator applications. The nord can only transmit or recieve one midi channel. Basically, the nord cannot have zone splits (other than the upper/lower function) like a workstation/synths generally can do.

I love my NE3, I think it is VERY authentic sounding. But I have to disagree with your comment of it being advanced. After spending 5 or so years mastering the motif, I'd have to say the Nord is a very simple, hands on unit with a stripped down tone generator.... That sounds fuggin GREAT!

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is a "monotimbral emulator?" Sounds cool, though! Actually, the NE3 is a very advanced digital modeling of 5 basic isntruments + a section to download samples. It is a players instrument

monotimbral as opposed to multitimbral, which many synth workstations are. Most synths have 16 channels midi available for various tone generator applications. The nord can only transmit or recieve one midi channel. Basically, the nord cannot have zone splits (other than the upper/lower function) like a workstation/synths generally can do.

I love my NE3, I think it is VERY authentic sounding. But I have to disagree with your comment of it being advanced. After spending 5 or so years mastering the motif, I'd have to say the Nord is a very simple, hands on unit with a stripped down tone generator.... That sounds fuggin GREAT!

+1!

BTW, funny how many dislike the piano sounds. I just love the piano sounds and would use them in any situation anytime.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

The electric pianos are good on the Electro 2. But the action isn't my favorite. But in all fairness, it's tough to come up with a semi-weighted compromise that will work for electric pianos, clavinet, acoustic pianos, and Hammond organ simulation, right?

They do Tom. It's called the PC3. Best compromise action I ever owned. It feels a little different when you first play it but as you get used to it, you really appreaciate it. Is it perfect for piano, organ or synth, no. Can you play those sounds with a sense of realistic feeling and conection, absolutley!

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

..... wanna throw some phaser on there for the chorus? Reach over, and hit the button and spin the knob (wow, its just like having a Small Stone or a Mutron BiPhase sitting on top). Sure, you can do that on the PC3, let me just get into the menu real quick, and.Same goes for wah on the clav, trem on the Wurlie, grind on the Hammond, or ring modulator on any of them. Wanna try a different amp? Hit the button on the Electro and turn the knob. You cannot get that immediate satisfaction from the PC3.

Have to disagree with you on that. Just like turning the knobs on my NE2, I can do the same with the sliders on my PC3. If the sounds are not already pre-programmed (many sounds are), I can program them using the mod wheel or sliders to do the same things. Once it's set up, I can be just as spontaneious as with the Nord. I agree that if you are playing a different sound that is not set-up the way you like, the Nord gives one more immediate satisfaction.

I just got a shiny new Nord Electro 3 earlier this week. Since I haven't seen it discussed much on here yet, I thought I'd start a thread to ramble on about it a bit...

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts on the NE3 and congrats on you purchase!

I love the organ and leslie sim on my NE2. In fact, I like it so much that when I play at the larger venues when it's all FOH, I don't even take my Motion Sound amp. While people may have there opinions on some of the other sounds (ex: I don't like the piano sounds at all on my NE2....but that's just me), it's the opinions of people who actually own the equipment that seem the most relevant. From what you have said, the NE3 raises the bar on organ and leslie sim. That is important for me as I use my NE2 primarly for that sound. I look forward to trying out an NE3 in the near future. Thanks again for your insightful review.

From what you have said, the NE3 raises the bar on organ and leslie sim. That is important for me

The NE3 organ is simply in a whole different category than the NE2. It is a huge improvement. Even if you only use the NE3 for organ, it would be worth every penny

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

...To get to the point why would you choose the Nord Electro 3 comes down to this: if you want a keyboard that most faithfully reproduces the sound and functionality of the Hammond organ, Hohner Clavinet, Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer 200A and Yamaha Cp80, and Mellotron (and yes, the Mellotron was an electromechanical keyboard!), as well as the immediacy of those instruments in terms of changing its sound, NOTHING comes near Nord for that. I wish it had drawbars, but I have no problem with the buttons.

You cant compare the sound of the Electro 3 to Kurzweils KB3 mode: one sounds like a really good ROMpler, one sounds like a great organ. And while the multi-layers of the PC3s Rhodes sounds are really sweet sounding, again, they dont compare at all; wanna throw some phaser on there for the chorus? Reach over, and hit the button and spin the knob (wow, its just like having a Small Stone or a Mutron BiPhase sitting on top). Sure, you can do that on the PC3, let me just get into the menu real quick, and.Same goes for wah on the clav, trem on the Wurlie, grind on the Hammond, or ring modulator on any of them. Wanna try a different amp? Hit the button on the Electro and turn the knob. You cannot get that immediate satisfaction from the PC3.

Tony, just to clarify...

There are a ton of pre-programmed FX controls / sims on the 9 sliders that, subsequently, act as drawbars in KB3 mode (for those who don't know that).

The 'Info' button will tell all the PC3's secrets - as to which slider controls what - which is Program dependent. Very cool!

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

While we're on the subject of the NE3, eric, how much do those MIDI drawbars cost?

You can find them on the used market and price will be driven by demand at the current time. I've bought a few sets for as low as $150-175 and also paid as much as $300-325. I'm pretty sure that Tony O and I have passed one set back and forth (with the MIDI Mapper included) for about $400 and seen them on eBay for $400+ sometimes. It is a real niche and rare item, so if people are hungry for them, they can fetch a pretty penny.

I cannot remember what they cost new (they've been "out of print" for perhaps 10 years now), but I think it was about $300-400 new.

• 4 months later...

A subjective question:

"How much better" are the E3's organs than the Stage's? I own a Stage compact and am thinking about the change for lots of reasons but mainly for organs (if they're really noticeable) and Mellotron. I don't care about splits or layers in what I play (re the Stage).

In this question I'm also wondering about the incremental difference between the leslie sims and leslie distortion.

I know about E3's organ being from the C1 and the new leslie, sim, I'm just wondering if the subjective end-of-the-day difference is a little or a lot?

Last thing, where's Eric's Keyboard Mag review of the C1? Can't find it anywhere.

thx

Neil

www.Prymary.com

www.AlteredDominant.com

myspace.com/AlteredDominant www.Prymary.com

NordElectro3/S90XS/SteinwayS(midi'd)/KX88/Apple MBP, iMac/MainStage2/Scrbee/NI Komplete/ApogeeDuet/QSCplx1804/JBLmrx512/SpcStnSRX/LogicPro9/DP/ProTools

Well I finally broke down and ordered the NE3 73 today. Should be here bt Thursday!!!
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Archived