Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finally played a gig where my amp wasn't enough.

SteveC

I like to feel the music so turning down just isn't an option.

You sound just like a guitard.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rolleyes: You are an idiot. Really. And once you're deaf as a stone, we'll have to hear you whine about how you could have been a contender if only your hearing had held out. Then you'll right some bullshit about fate being a cruel when it is all your fault.

Well if you keep it up that may be the only way you hear the music. :o

Ringing ears is a bad sign. I'm glad you are wearing earplugs but it does appear you may be a bit late. Have you had your hearing checked?

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Nope.. I know exactly where the blame lies.

I have no expectations of it getting any better. I'm just trying to stop any further damage from happening. The ring is pretty much always there, but it's not that bad, yet. Honestly, if I couldn't play my bass loud enough I could feel it, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much. If that makes me an idiot I'll wear the badge with honor.. That I've waited this long to really start wearing plugs regularly was my own stupidity, but it's been due to never finding any plugs that wouldn't dampen the highs so much that it made the sound intolerable. This forum pointed me to the ones I use now, which are even enough to tolerate. I'll be getting the custom ones before too long.

Plus, I have no delusions about being a contender..

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

Honestly, if I couldn't play my bass loud enough I could feel it, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

You could try playing unplugged, laying on your back on one of those beds at cheap motels where you put a quarter in the slot on the side.

I did a show on Mackinac Island where equipment size was a concern.

It wasn't a big deal getting it on the ferry, but as you know there are no motor vehicles on the island. We could have hired someone to schlep our equipment from the dock to the venue but it was just a few blocks. Expecting the worse -- hand-carrying everything ourselves -- I tried to downsize as much as possible.

I borrowed a 100 W 1x15 Yorkville. (In a delightful "Cohen blue". ;) )

http://www.yorkville.com/images/products/sm_bm100.jpg

The guitarists brought their usual (loud) 100 W 2x12 combos. Drums left only part of the kit at home -- at least a tom -- and brought a cart to haul it all. So basically I was the only one that downsized.

I was asked to turn up. It wasn't a large club by any means but for a 4-piece rock band I just never have good luck with 100 W combos.

175 W into a 1x10 probably isn't noticeably louder. But as you said only now did you run into a situation where you didn't feel it was loud enough for you. And even then it sounds like it was due more to the band playing too loudly than the venue itself.

Maybe next time instead of turning up just ask the band to turn down a number. (Yes, the horns and drums will laugh. ;) ) That may make the patrons and the manager happier, too.

:rolleyes: You are an idiot. Really. And once you're deaf as a stone, we'll have to hear you whine about how you could have been a contender if only your hearing had held out. Then you'll right some bullshit about fate being a cruel when it is all your fault.

I have a bit of tinnitus myself. I also like playing at volume and refuse to practice in headphones. Am I an idiot too? Or are you one for being so harshly judgmental? Or do you just have a woody for Yourlord?

I know, I know, just you're opinion. Well, there's mine.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

175 W into a 1x10 probably isn't noticeably louder. But as you said only now did you run into a situation where you didn't feel it was loud enough for you. And even then it sounds like it was due more to the band playing too loudly than the venue itself.

Maybe next time instead of turning up just ask the band to turn down a number. (Yes, the horns and drums will laugh. ;) ) That may make the patrons and the manager happier, too.

This is why I'm not rushing out to buy anything. I just wanted to share the experience more than justify new/different gear. I know where that gets me on this forum. :rolleyes:

I just played a gig where my gear (and everyone's was inadequate).

We got there and the sound company said, "no one told us that there was a band, we just brought enough PA support for speeches."

The stage was at the back of the picture below (with the ocean behind us) and the audience was seated at tables around the pools.

http://www.bacararesort.com/bacara_html/images/photos/home.jpg

However, I'm not complaining. Everyone thing went fine, we were paid a huge amount of money and given rooms and meals at the hotel.

I have a bit of tinnitus myself. I also like playing at volume and refuse to practice in headphones. Am I an idiot too? Or are you one for being so harshly judgmental? Or do you just have a woody for Yourlord?

I know, I know, just you're opinion. Well, there's mine.

Well, here's one good thing about me being a hyper-talented songwriter but an incorrigible asshole in a band setting... I never played enough live shows to blow my ears out, because I couldn't keep bands together that long... :D

Blah blah blah...I play the most awesomest gigs evarrr...blah blah blah...

Yeah that.

I heard they had to schlep all their gear in the small helicopter this time. It was hell having to wait for two drops instead of one! :D :D :D

This is why I'm not rushing out to buy anything. I just wanted to share the experience more than justify new/different gear. I know where that gets me on this forum. :rolleyes:

I'm proud of the progress you've made, Steve. :thu::cool:

Archived