Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely Ot - The 134th Preakness

57pbass

The 134th Preakness By Jerome A. Keel

One down two to go. Will the eagle ( Mind That Bird ) fly ? By late Saturday afternoon we will know.

This Saturday at the old hill top racecourse Pimilico in Baltimore Maryland they will run the 134th Preakness.

Lets take a look at the field.

Big Drama:

Has won five out of seven starts. Has early speed. Won his last start The Swale Stakes but was disqualified for inference and placed second.

Flying Private:

Finished last in the Derby. Has the right trainer in his corner to win a Triple Crown race. D. Wayne Lukas. Will have to improve a lot to be a factor.

Friesan Fire:

Had a world of trouble in the Kentucky Derby. He grabbed a quarter (hacked off a chunk of his left front hoof with his back hoof) he was also bumped and squeezed in the race. He finished next to last. Has had a nice workout over the Pimlico racetrack. With a clean get away he will be there at the finish. If the track turns up sloppy this guy can run on it.

General Quarters:

He to had a rough trip in the derby. He was forced to steady twice. Musket Man has beaten him twice already.

Lov Gov:

Only broke his maiden in last start. Won by six lengths on the sloppy track. Will he be wear socks like New York State Governor Spitzer?

Take The Points:

The only thing he has going for him is his jockey Prado, two for two on him.

Terrain:

Was beaten by Friesan Fire and Papa Clem in the Louisiana Derby.

Tone it down:

Ran second in last start over the track.

Mind That Bird:

Won the Derby with powerfully closing move. Was it a fluke? Loses jockey Calvin Borel. He will get the services of Mike Smith. He will have to make his move sooner then in the Derby. The Preakness is a sixteenth of a mile shorter in distance. His performance in the derby was a monster. Will he be able to duplicate that effort? Would help if the track came up sloppy.

Musket Man:

Was closing in the stretch in the Derby. He finished third. If he can race closer to the pace in the Preakness he could be a major factor. Has won five of seven starts.

Papa Clem:

Finished a nice fourth in the Derby. He acted up in the post parade in the derby that might have hurt his chances a little.

Pioneerof The Nile:

Looked like he was on his way to win the Kentucky derby past the eight pole but Mind That Bird came up the rail to win the race. Pioneerof The Nile finished second. He showed that he would fight it out not to let other horses pass him. He answered the question that he can run on dirt and an off track. Can stalk the Early leaders and then pounce in the stretch.

Rachel Alexander:

She has just one bad race in her career. Her first start. Has won five Stakes in a row. She has Calvin Borel as here jockey. He gets off his winning Derby mount Mind that Bird, thats a first. Borel stated that she is the best horse hes ever ridden. The filly is looking to make history. No winner of the Kentucky Oaks has won the Preakness .The last filly to win the Preakness was Nellie Morse in 1924. Her speed figures are much better then the colts. Is she the second coming of the great filly Ruffian? We will see. Shes can handle an off track she won for fun on one. Shes the one to beat.

And Now My selections:

# 9--- Pioneerof The Nile

# 13Rachel Alexandra

# 5--- Friesan Fire

# 2--- Mind That Bird

Good Luck to all the horses and their Jockeys.

See you at the Windows.

May 14, 2009

www.danielprine.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A tripple Crown always sounds exciting. For that reason I will have to cheer "Mine that Bird" on to victory.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

HOLY CRAP!

I preface this as follows: I know nothing whatsoever about horse racing, even if I did work broadcast coverage of the Belmont Stakes years ago.

We got a pool together at work today. Thankfully someone else made the picks. And we hit the winner as well as a box trifecta!!!!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Hey Dan, did Borel ride her in the Kentucky Oaks? Gonna make for some interesting discussions if he rides her to win in the Belmont. Even more interesting if Mine That Bird places.
Push the button Frank.

Hi Ken Yes Borel did ride the Fillie in The Kentucky Oaks..lots of storylines here..Belmont Stakes should be a good one..and it looks like Mine That Bird is for real...he almost won todays race...

www.danielprine.com

So Borel could be the first jock to win the three on two different mounts. Rachel Alexandra could claim a kind of modified Triple Crown for fillies. And then there's the debate over whether Mine That Bird would have won if he kept his rider.

As a Long Island boy, I always think of the Belmont as a big deal but it tends to lose some luster if there's not a shot at the triple. This year's should be a beaut!

Push the button Frank.

Archived