Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Older Lexicon unit Input knobs

I have had 3 different LXP-1's, two LXP-5's, a LXP-15, and now a Reflex that all make horrendous noises when you adjust the input knob on them. After you stop turning them, of course the noises stop too, except that the LXP-15 is periodically making the noise now even when I do nothing to it. I understand there is a Lexicon employee in these parts. Anybody have this same thing happen? Anybody know why so many of these units have this problem? Anybody got a guesstimation on how much it might cost to solve the problem on a Reflex and a LXP-15? Is it just a simple case of replacing the input pot? Thanks in advance. Ed

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like "dirty potentiometer syndrome" to me. If you can get behind the front panel, you can usually squirt a little tuner cleaner into the offending pot and turn the knob back and forth a few times to allow the solution to permeate the entire resistance path. This has cured about 99% of the scratchy pots I've encountered. If the pot is sealed (no openings in the case) you could try dribbling a little cleaning solution down the pot shaft but that doesn't always work. Good luck!!!
None more black.

Hi Ed, I also have that situation with a Lexicon lxp-1. The input control gets dirty and introduces crackle. It needs to be sprayed out with a good contact cleaner. Many recommend Caig D-Oxit. If you open up the unit yourself, you will see that it's a little tricky to get the straw on the can of cleaner to spray directly into the opening on the potentiometer (input control) because of the way it's mounted. I believe that techs kind of have a way around that, with a curved straw or something like that. Point is, it can be done. To do it right, you need to rotate the control all the way in both directions as you spray the cleaner into the pot. I believe there is also a product that claims to keep the contacts in condition so that they don't dirt up so quickly, but the fact is that this will need to be done regularly throughout the life of the lxp. If you want to take it to a tech, All Service is in the South East Industrial neighborhood at 617 SE Morrison St. phone number (503) 231-6552. Randy is the guy you'll probably get, seems on top of things. My reel to reel is in there right now for a little maintenance, by the way. Good luck with that, hope this helped! :)

Contact cleaner is miraculous for solving these problems. I have a 20 year old stereo receiver/amplifier that suffered from the same condition. Rather than waste time tearing apart my rack, the cover, etc., I simply removed the knob and sprayed the base of the stalk on the pot. The cleaner did, indeed, penetrate the outer cover and work it's wonders, with a little back and forth motion of it's travel. Any electricians out there? I'm told De-oxit, while it does a wonderful job of cleaning, should not be used internally. ( ;) ) The techs who instructed me to use regular contact cleaner indicated De-oxit leaves a residue, which can then [i]grab dirt[/i] and hold it inside the pot, making it crud up quicker and worse than before. You want a contact cleaner that's not oil based. Anyone concur or disagree?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

what does the LEXICON ALEX look like ? I want a effects processor for the final mix (hardware) at the tail end of my set up before going to CD. I've heard but never seen a LEXICON ALEX. I know it isnt the best but it's LEXICON so if it does half the job, it'll be good enough for me.

The ALEX was the offspring of the LXP-1, which is turn predecessor to the MPX-100, which is the daddy of the current MPX-110 and the little brother of the MPX-1. Entry-level Lex reverb, which is to say, better than other things in the same range. I have absolutely no clue why you, or anybody, would want to insert this on the stereo buss or stereo mix if I understand you correctly. It's not a bad little reverb, and better than many plug-in reverbs, but that's all. It also doesn't have digital I/O, which somewhat limits its flexibility in use with a DAW. I got a never-opened ALEX for $90 a month ago. I use it as a reverb for DAW tracking for just the headphone mix for vocals and drums. Great for that.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

ZekeSmith So would you say, save for a big brother, or stick with my plug-in (WAVES Gold Bundle, BOMBFACTORY 3.2) I was just interested in it, honestly I dont think I necessarily need it, but I'm depressed right now and cant think of anything else to do, so I thought about buying a piece of gear to experiment with.

Well, thanks for the feedback guys. First - Why only do the input knobs do this and not the output knobs? Second - Would D-Oxit really cause build up inside the pot? T.H., I woul steer clear of the Alex myself. It really wasn't the heritage of the LXP-1, that is what the Reflex is. The Alex ONLY allows you parameter control of Midrange RT Decay, Pre-delay, and Effect Level. The Reflex off all the same parameter controls the LXP-1 did. You can think of the Alex as the workup model for those useless MPX-100 I just scored a MPX-1 off of ebay for $350. Look around for one of them if you are looking for a nice reverb. Anything starting with a LXP-1 would blow away ANY software reverb I have used. You can kid yourself that this isn't true, but that last only as long as it takes for you to compare. Upon comparison, you would never break open a DX/VST/RTAS/TDM reverb again in your life! :) Ed

I would rate the ALEX as somewhere in the same neighborhood as the Waves RenVerb, which I also have (as part of Waves Platinum). I've been less than impressed with plug-in reverbs myself, with the exception of AltiVerb and the TC PowerCore. I'd try to get a little higher-end model hardware box with digital I/O. A used Lex MPX-1 or PCM-80/81/90/91 would be ideal for this. The PCM-series are great for this and blow any plug-ins away for depth and spaciousness. I just picked up a PCM-80 for this reason. The alternative is the PowerCore, which is quite nice reverb-wise (I have one), but which still doesn't seem quite up there with a good hardware box, and is more expensive. The non-reverb plugs in the PowerCore, with the possible exception of the Finalizer and Chorus/Delay, and with the definite exception of the Oxford EQ, are not terribly useful to me.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

Sonusman -- thanks for that input, I'll steer clear of the Alex and look for something around the LXP-1 or PCM-80 ZekeSmith -- a used MPX-1 or PCM-80,81,90,91 PCM series for depth and spaciousness -- THAT'S WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR thanks fellas :wave:

The MPX-1 (NOT the lxp-1) is a whole different animal than the LXP-series. Still not a PCM, but in a way different class than the LXP. A used PCM-80 will fetch $800-1000 on the used market. I've seen new PCM-81's for $1250 some places.

I sold the LXP-1, LXP-5, and LXP-15 when they were new. I sold the MPX-1 and MPX-100 when they were new. In my opinion, there's no contest. The MPX models are far superior in sound, particularly in the depth or "spaciousness" of sound. They're also much easier to use and edit, unless the LXP-1 or 5 comes with the remote editor. Neither comes close to the PCM's, but I could be satisfied with any of the current Lexi verbs. For the money, the MPX-500, or it's descendant (if it's been updated) is the way to go. Just enough sound quality and editing capability to keep most anyone very happy.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

i really, really love the sound of the lxp5. hands down its my favorite out of all of them. its so damn "dark" is why i like it so much. its probably the low sample rate of the unit that makes it so dark. impossible to edit without the editor, and i have the manual! the later models are also very beautiful, my next favorite is the PCM70. a very noisy unit, but simply beautiful sounds. the 80 and 90 are great also. ive never used an alex, but i wouldnt be suprised if i liked it a lot. lexicon hasnt made anything i do not like.

You've got it Lee. :thu: And if anyone else is interested, I've got a great condition Yamaha SPX-900 (not a 90) that I'll let go for $300. Works great and looks perfect except for a couple of scratches on the top (or was it bottom?) panel from inserting it into a rack... :)

Archived