Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A funny thing happened...

Ian Sharrock

At our gig last weekend I had a weird thing happen whilst playing "Born to be Wild" at a bike rally. My A-33 was acting as a top manual to my XK-2, the Hammond detuned -1.

Now, I assumed that as the sound generating keyboard is detuned, then everything coming out of it would be as well.

[font:Comic Sans MS]WRONG!!![/font]

Upon hitting the 'top manual' an awful cacophony of discord assailed my ears.

I now realise that the MIDI info from said A33 determines the pitch and if I want to play dual manual detuned I need to program a transpose -1 into the A33.

Anybody else ever had a D'oh! moment like this?

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep - FYI for others out there wanting to do this, there are usually multiple places you can detune a part. Korg has a Global Detune that detunes everything, but often, the "transpose" function on most keyboards only transposes the local keyboard, where the "Key Shift" or similar within the patch editor detunes the internal engine.

We tune down a half step (everything) and so my patches are all set up this way. We were doing two gigs back-to-back one time (not enough time to tear down, go to the other place, set up, sound check.) So I set my normal rig up at the 2nd place we were playing and brough another setup to the first place we were playing. I duplicated patches for all the songs we were doing at the first place. Well somehow on one song I got the detuning wrong. I don't know if we don't actually play that one a half step down or what, but the patch was totally wrong. So I start trying to figure out exactly how much it's off and in which direction and then transpose on the fly with my playing. Really screwed me up.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yeah, except mine was less tech-based: I was playing with a band Saturday nite, and they called out Centerfold by J.Geils. I asked the bassist what key, and he says G: I start the riff, sounds fine, people fill the dance floor, the band comes in, and it was like W T F!!!!????, the equivalent of somebody throwing pots and pans down a flight of stairs. Song is in C (but starts on the V). My DOH moment: not asking the drummer what key it was in!!!
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived