Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT : Shuttle Landing From the Cockpit

57pbass

My brother works in the airline industry and sends me all types of cool videos..

Shuttle Landing From the Cockpit:

This lo-res 8.5MB (6min45sec) video looks through the HUD (Heads Up Display) on Atlantis's flight deck. You'll hear flight deck audio of three astronauts interacting. The video starts at about FL830 (83,000 ft), mach 2.5 velocity at 1.1 Gs. You'll hear the term H A C (Heading Alignment Cylinder) used a lot. It's the shuttle's version of a traffic pattern to line up with the runway center-line. It is a circular instead of rectangular pattern. Landing is a team sport, as you'll see.

Click: http://www.wades.web.st/Video/atlantis_landing_comm.wmv

www.danielprine.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was bad ass. And yeah, they're coming down like they mean business. Nose down dive all the way to ~1000' or so.

Not to tangent terribly but I was on a commercial jetliner that landed like that once coming into SeaTac. We left 45 minutes late and landed 2 minutes early. The pilot did a serious nose dive instead of taking the usual leisurely glide path in. Pretty interesting to be at that point where you know the airport is coming up very soon and your still in a hard turning dive.

Archived